P5 AT issue

BinoMP5

:
MP5
I have had this transmission(automatic) issue for a little bit. The AT light was flashing on the dashboard. When I took it to the transmission shop, they refused to work on it because the "shifter was loose". WHat I did not notice was that the shift lock was not working. Even when the car is off, the shifter was able to be freely moved out of Park and into any gear. The computer they used to analyze the problem said that even though the shifter was physically in Park, the computer read it was in Reverse. The computer does no know what gear it's in and thus throwing the AT light. The car is drivable and shifts fine, but instantly turns on the AT light once in M mode and refuses to be shifted manually in that mode. What I am asking for is any automatic drivers out there to check out their shifter once taking off the panel and to see what is different with mine. When i press on the brake, the part on the bottom left of the shifter should unlock the shifter to be able to move, but it looks like that i am missing a piece or it is not connected...

tl;dr Can an owner of an automatic transmission P5 check their shifter for me under the panel and see what is different?

IMG_3774-1.jpg

the bottom right to be more specific... i believe that there should be a link to the rubber part to the picture below
IMG_3773.jpg

thank you for any help

Looks like you are missing the piece you are talking about.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1193.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faa359%2Fnoegrut1%2FVID_20130724_185252.mp4">

Last edited:
I cant really tell from your picture but from what i can see i would say its this piece? But in one of your pictures it looks like its there but i cant tell for sure.

you are missing either a screw or a bushing that goes where the red arrow is pointing the thing jumping shouldnt be jumping around

Yea you are missing the screw that connects those parts together. I will take another look and snap some photos so you can get a better look. look around in there you may be able to find the piece you are missing.

Yea you are missing the screw that connects those parts together. I will take another look and snap some photos so you can get a better look. look around in there you may be able to find the piece you are missing.

he's not lying about finding stuff lol when i took my whole center console and carpet out i found things i thought were lost for good

Tearing the whole center console and carpet up is a good idea trying to find a replacement part for that might become tricky since it is such a small part and the dealership probably wants you to pay 50 dollars for such a small part. Im sure you could rig it up so it would work right if you cant find the part. From what i could see in your video it looks like the black piece to the right of the arrow in my picture above is intact. However the connecting white piece to the left of the arrow in my picture might be broken, I did notice that in your video that the white piece was discolored slightly yellowish that might be what caused it to fail perhaps in the past something managed to make its way down there and eat away at the plastic. I am pretty confident that the missing piece is still in you car it will just take some extensive searching

oh wow! thank you for the video with the proper movements, i will definitely open up that center console and look for that part. It's pretty crazy how this happens, has anyone heard of this problem before? The transmission shop said that the CPU does not know what gear it's in thus why it's flashing the AT light. Even when the car is off, the shifter is allowed to move freely. Hopefully it is doing this because of the loose part and fixed upon finding it.

thanks again guys for all your help!

Back