Manual mode feature question

Hello, I recently purchased 2 Mazda Protege5 2003. However, they are slightly different. One of them has a dashboard light that indicates what gear you are in and has a Manual mode offered on the shifter (working). The second one has Manual mode settings on the shifter but I don't feel it working and the dashboard on this Protege does not indicate the gear you are in either. Is this manual mode feature only offered on certain 2003's? Despite appearing to have the option on the shifter. Thanks

Edit: They are both automatic cars

Sounds like the second shifter might be broken? Might pay to pull the center console out and have a look for anything weird or broken. From memory the manual mode 'shifts' electronically so it might be a loose wire or something (hopefully!)

Sounds like the second shifter might be broken? Might pay to pull the center console out and have a look for anything weird or broken. From memory the manual mode 'shifts' electronically so it might be a loose wire or something (hopefully!)
I'll check that out, I just replaced the little orange light in there and didnt see anything weird but I'll give it another look over now with that in mind.

Thanks for the advice so far

I'll check that out, I just replaced the little orange light in there and didnt see anything weird but I'll give it another look over now with that in mind.

Thanks for the advice so far
No worries, both of my auto P5's had dodgy lights in the shifter too! Fingers crossed it's an easy fix for you

Back