P0300 - lawnmower - intermittent

:
Mazdaspeed Protoge 2003.5
Hi guys, I hope somone can shed some light on this a little.

First, I LOVE my MSP. I've owned it since new, it now has 96000 on it. It's NEVER missed a beat. It's been to the dealer every 5000 miles for oil change and anything else it's ever needed, it's never been modified.

Monday morning, I drove to work (about 22 miles, mostly 50+ mph roads) and as usual the car was perfect. 8AM.

Went out to lunch around 2PM. Car was perfect.

Left work at 4:30PM. Started car. Sounded like a lawnmower. I knew there was a problem the second I turned the key. Stopped, restarted, same problem. Had to get home, so started driving, it was terrible. Had to go to grocery store about 3 miles away so limped there. After shopping and coming back out car started just fine. Along the way home it missed a few times, then the CEL started flashing. Some of the drive home was OK, some was awful it cut in and out.

Got home, read the code, P0300. Great, that narrows things down - NOT!

I started reading the forum about this, saw that EGR is common fault on this car so looked at mine. It's the original US EGR, so figured that must be it. Didn't have time to do anything then so it had to wait until Wednesday, so I had to drive my truck to work Tue/Wed (ugh!).

Wednesday night, removed the EGR. It looked almost spotless! Seriously. After 96000 miles, the original EGR and I couldn't see any of the gumming that is so previlently mentioned here. Spring and valve all seemed to operate fine. But I had it out so I gave it a good dose of carb cleaner anyway and checked the valve was actually working by watching the fluid fllow from one side to the other when I opened it. Put it back in, started the car. Sounded just fine. Took it for a test drive. Seemed fine. Went a little further, seemed fine. But then after it was nicely warmed up i floored it to check full boost (which is something I rarely do). Missfire occurred again :-(

Had a long day on Thursday and didn't trust the car yet, so left it at home again. This morning - Friday - drove the MSP to work. Got here flawlessly. Didn't miss a beat all the way in (I didn't really push it, just a normal drive).

So.... Any ideas? Monday was a terrifically hot day and very humid. Could the coil packs be effected by temperature? Spark plugs were new at 60,000 and they are the expensive NGK platinum ones fitted by the dealership. I checked those, they all look brand new.

Much appreciate any help anyone may offer. Thank you.

Hard to diagnose with very little information. Can you gain access to a scan tool that can provide you with a live data stream? I'm assuming your vehicle is coil on plug? Generally when a coil or fuel injector fail, you'll get a specific cylinder misfire. EGR sounds about right considering the problem only appears once warmed up. Did you check the vacuum lines that modulate the EGR solenoid?

Unfortunately all I have is a basic code reader, so can't get a live stream. The EGR is electronic not vacuum. Vehicle is Mazdaspeed Protege 2003.5.

Well you should really invest in a better scanner. Any other symptoms you've noticed? Can you borrow a vacuum gauge at least? Otherwise you could pull out a DVOM and a wiring diagram and check to see if the EGR solenoid is being actuated by the PCM.

No other symptoms. It was just really bad this one day, suddenly. Then I managed to repeat it under heavy load. So far today it's run great again. Temperature is down again though - I have a feeling that had something to do with it. If it comes back then I'll see about getting a scanner I can use on my laptop or iPad or something.

Thank you.

Back