Overheating round 4!

drifting off topic is cool, i know ive done it a good amount of times the past couple years i been here. ill probably end up pulling the thermostat. for the above instructions i need an OBD2 code reader right? sadly i have an iphone so the torque app is a no go. i thought about buying a cheap ass 7" android tablet with a dash mount that would strictly stay in the car for monitoring purposes but i need the funds for it first. i wonder if anyone wants to trade one for a 4th gen ipod touch??....lol

Just buy a new or used ordinary android cell phone. I just bought a Samsung Discover new for $100 strictly to run the Torque App. I didn't even put in the SIM card,... I can't make phone calls with it but I don't care,... NO Contract. The Tablets are too big and clunky to fit nicely in a car and cost too much money with limited speed and power.

All you need is the phone to have bluetooth and WiFi and it does everything a tablet can do only more and cheaper. Try to get a newer phone with the latest software,... mine is ice cream sandwich,... the newest is Jelly Bean,... the Torque App is designed to work with Android phones.

Then you get the Bluetooth scanner (ELM 327,... it's less than $20) that plugs into your OBDII port. (that's what we have,.. it's under the steering column) and it broadcasts to your phone via Bluetooth.

Bluetooth doesn't work with the Iphone,... HOWEVER,... there is a OBDII reader that uses WiFi instead of Bluetooth and apparently works with the Iphone. I'm not sure how well it works because of software issues, speed and compatibility.

AND,... My bluetooth reader came with a little DVD with software on it to put on a windows computer so you can sit your computer in your car to get the readings.

I'm sure you can find a used Android phone for $50 or $60,... even mine is on sale (here in Canada) for $79 new. Remember,... you don't even have to plug in your SIM card,... just use it like a tablet.

I must admit,... I have only plugged in my reader a couple of times for just a few minutes just to make sure everything works,... I've been busy with bearings, lower control arms, calipers and my "Fan Switch Bypass" Mod,... so I've been putting it off.

I've gotta sell my UltraGauge now,... it doesn't work properly for our cars. (apparently it's the ONLY gas powered car on the market built since 1996 that the UG won't read properly.)

DON'T get an ordinary code reader,... it only reads CEL codes. The torque app is the one that shows all the info that the ECU has to show,... including water temperature. (it really is cool). It also reads and resets codes.

Check out this link,... "Why iPhone/iPad apps can not work with ELM327 Bluetooth OBD-II diagnostic tool?" (I haven't read it yet,... I just Googled it)

http://www.cyue-tech.com/index.php?a=show&m=Article&id=43

One thing my UltraGauge does read is water temperature,... when our car reaches 68* C the temp meter stops moving. The UG showed the temp climbing all the way to 97* C before the fans came on while idling in the driveway. I have no idea how friggen hot the car has to get before the stock needle moves again. I could have unplugged my fans to find out but I didn't want to risk that.

Well ill check out an android phone to strictly leave in the car and hopefully one with a dash mount or windshield mount. Damn iPhones lol

Damn iPhones lol

iPhones cost way more, you can't replace the battery, you can't add memory and can't adjust the camera parameters like focus or color balance,... but I'm drifting off topic again,...

hopefully one with a dash mount or windshield mount.

You could velcro it or even glue it to the dash somewhere ??? (it won't necessarily look tacky)

Last edited:
I use this:

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Gives you pretty much all you need to know, plus error code reading, code clearing and ECU reset.
The above coupled with Oil temp and oil pressure gauge gives me monitoring of most things i need to know.

fits perfectly in the little slot beneath the cigarette lighter and ash tray.
seen them for $140 ish.

I use this:

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Gives you pretty much all you need to know, plus error code reading, code clearing and ECU reset.
The above coupled with Oil temp and oil pressure gauge gives me monitoring of most things i need to know.

fits perfectly in the little slot beneath the cigarette lighter and ash tray.
seen them for $140 ish.

The Torque App, ELM327 combo does everything the ScanGauge does but also records any and all data you choose so you can show it on a graph later on your computer. The phone is wireless (except for maybe power if you leave it installed). The Torque App allows you to customize your screens in an almost infinite number of ways, from color schemes, to number of gauges per screen, to your choice of analog or digital gauges.

The Torque App will also use the phone's GPS to accurately calculate all kinds of things like mileage and distance to the accuracy of your cars gauges (like if you've got over or under size tires)

The Torque App will even accurately calculate your real time horsepower if you get your car weighed (right down to the pound) and then give 'er. All of this can be recorded so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Some of those functions are only available with Torque App Pro (a $5 App),.. Torque Lite is free. The torque App is also constantly upgraded and your phone (via WiFi) will get the upgrades.

Even if you've got the ScanGauge, the Torque App can be a cool addition, even if only used occasionally,... All for $35 if you use your computer (make sure your version of ELM 327 has available software)

You don't have to pay to get your car Dyno'ed.

For iPhone i have the GoPoint Bluetooth (BT1) paired iPhone4 with DashCommand displayed on a Pioneer AppRadio2 (7" touch screen). When not pulling/clearing codes it can display any ECU parameter as a set of gauges (skins' you download). WayCool :)

If all that was $100 or less I'd do it lol. Would a droid x work for the App Store? Or would I have to activate it to be able to use all the features I need to

To do what i did:
~105/shipped for the GoPoint OBDII reader (you can use the ELM327 WiFi (~$15) - but it is slower refresh for data and harder to get to synch)
~$120 for the headunit
~$50 for the DashCommand app

(I already had the iPhone4)

For just basic capability displayed on a droid:

Get the ELM327 bluetooth OBDII reader (~$15 on EBay) and the 'Torque' app for the droid (~$5 IIRC).

I had put stop leak in it a longggg time ago before the head gasket was done. Could some radiator ports be clogged with that s***? And is there a way to clean out the radiator ports?

^quite possible. Is the lower hose quite cooler than the upper hose - or are they about the same? If ~same - the radiator needs replaced or rodded out...

They're not too much money,... I don't know how hard they are to install though.

Radiator_zps0d64766f.jpg

I've installed and pulled them from Mazda tributes with exponentially less room. Just hopefully it will hold up off rock auto. I haven't had much luck with aftermarket parts from there.

Bought and installed a new radiator, everything hooked up right and filled the system properly. Changed the oil to 10w-30 pennzoil full synthetic. Any highway driving at 65+ mph for 20 miles or more causes the motor to start getting hot. Still getting bubbles in the overflow and this isn't the first time since the swap and oil change. It's happened probably two or three other times. With the head gasket and everything else being done 30k miles ago I can't imagine that it's that. I have yet to pull the thermostat to see if it's stuck again (it'd be the 7th one in 30k miles). Idk wtf is goin on here and it's driving me nuts. It's not reliable enough for me to drive to my girlfriends house even. Btw turning the heat on with ac button pushed in drops the temp enough for me to go maybe another 5 miles tops before it starts getting hot on the temp gauge again.

bro get ur head gasket checked again its the only thing left.. i know u did it 30k ago but that dont mean its not the problem.. ie Cracked head/or break in gasket

Yeah well I just hope that anyone who buys a car like this gets it looked over by a mechanic first. I just don't get it with arp head bolts and everything milled flat that it could happen again. I have a cylinder 3 misfire so I'm gonna be pulling it apart and focusing there unless I can find someone who wants the car as is

Pull the plug, see if there's oil/coolant in there. Doesn't mean its not a bad head gasket, but could point to one.

Sorry if you did already pull the plugs. You see, I don't read very often.

Bubbles in overflow would mean air in the system to me. Could lean more to the head gasket or maybe another gasket elsewhere but since you haven't seen any coolant outside of the engine, I would say head gasket. Try not to give up. I almost did with mine...

If you did the head bolts,did you follow the part where you torque them to spec then turn the bolts another 180?I didn't the first time I did mine, but the oil and coolant mixed, which you haven't mentioned, so I doubt its bad torque specs...

Latest posts

Back