Overheating... boiling over expansion tank... help

:
2003 Protege5
140,000 miles. New belt and pump 15k ago. Automatic P5. It's been super duper reliable. About 2 months ago, on the interstate and noticed the temp climbing, I bolted off into a gas station. It was hot by this point, but not steaming over. I went inside and bought a gallon of water. I let it cool, and slowly poured in water as not to shock cool it. Anyway, it took a gallon of water! I topped off the expansion tank as well. Paranoid, I drove the car to the next exit. It was ok. 10 more miles, ok. I drove the car for 1 more week, it was ok, but the reservoir was a little low. 1 month goes by of me just adding a little coolant to the reservoir. At this point, I smell antifreeze, but I can't pinpoint where it is going, but I smell it. Anyway, I was en route on the interstate and saw a wisp of steam at the hood /fender line. I pulled over, temp was ok... reservoir puked dry... Radiator had coolant, but the tank puked. When I got home, I snagged a thermostat. I tested it on the stove in water before installing. It popped at 190-205 consistently.
Now, I am not just going to keep refilling it, but I needed to hone in on the issue. Plugs looked good, it runs good, and the oil is clean. It is not getting coolant in the oil. Anyway, tonight on my way 4 hour road trip, I topped off the tank and set sail. I stopped for gas and the tank was low. I must have had to stop 3-4 times and put 2 gallons of water in the rad/tank. I have to be at work, I had no choice. It never ran hot, but it is puking out the tank. It seems to do it all at once. On my last stop, I filled it up, topped off rad and coolant tank. I drove another 30 minutes and checked. All good. All in all, I drove that last 1.5 hours and not 1 drop missing... WTF? I put cardboard under the car 3-4 times and it does not leak a drop. It only seems to be happening on the highway at 3,000 rpms at cruise. Now that I am 4 hours from home, I am trying to think of what is going on. What in the world would cause it to puke and puke and puke, and then just stop on the last 1.5 hours or so. New bad thermostat even though I boiled it and checked it? Radiator clogged and high rpms with the water pump turning fast it can't keep up with flow? I did a coolant flush when I put the thermostat in and it was nice and clean. What could this be guys?

Replace your rad cap.

radcap_zps07fac30a.png

Last edited:
The first time this thing threw a fit 2 months ago was out of nowhere. No issues at all prior to this. The fan does come on and is running also guys.

I'm still thinking it's getting past the rad cap,... hows the sealing surface on the rad??

You can sniff for exhaust coming out the reservoir. That will find a head gasket leak.

A small fracture in the head can open up when hot (it may need a full heat soak), starting the leak of compression gasses.

Last edited:
No smell of exhaust or carbon/oily look either. I guess I could try another cap. NO steamy exhaust. See, I am with you guys. I am suspicious over this $5 auto zone cap. It feels crumby thin and cheaply made. the dealer had a backorder time of 3 weeks.

I hope the antifreeze smell I have lingering under the hood is just from all the dang boil overs. If it is the radiator, I can' see how that would boil it over unless its opening up at interstate speeds and leaking. I will try a cap, as that's an easy thing to throw at it.

You can sniff for exhaust coming out the reservoir. That will find a head gasket leak.

A small fracture in the head can open up when hot (it may need a full heat soak), starting the leak of compression gasses.

^this. You may not see steam or oily residue in the coolant. If after a blast down the highway the coolant is bubbling violently in the overflow tank (temps are near normal) - it is exhaust gasses. It will force the coolant out. You will refill. It will do it again.

The head can have a microcrack and be passing exhaust gasses directly into the coolant system.

Have a garage sniff at the rad cap for exhaust. If detected - replace the head. It is hard for the machine shop to find the cracks even with dye penetrant.

SRY.

photo-1.jpg

Found it... pressure testing today could not get a seal on filler neck. The plunger seat was 1/2 missing!! Allowing pressurized coolant to blow into the overflow. New rad going in tomorrow. You will see some grit in there from the nasty gas station spigot. I did not put bar stop crap in here... My buddy commented on that... it was just some nasty water coming out of a barely used spigot. It was late and dark. I would have let it run longer. It's getting a full flush tomorrow anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back