Overheating and coolant backup

amsgator

03.5 Protege5
:
Yellow '03 5-Speed MP5
So the other day I noticed my a/c was not cooling and shortly later noticed it was because my car was way too hot. So I stopped immediately and got a ride home. The coolant bottle overflowed. Later that day I went to get my car and managed to drive it home at normal temperature. Today I tried driving it again and noticed if I drive longer than about 10 or 15 minutes the needle creeps up too high and I have stop.

I pop my hood and sure enough coolant is backed up into the coolant bottle. So I wait and it starts to cool down as coolant flows back out of the bottle.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how much repair may cost?it's really frustrating not having much money and sharing a car with my fianc. Any and all help is appreciated!

yes thats my write up. i didnt "burp" the system at all. just changed the t-stat, filled it back up and was fine. although i dont recommend flushing with regular hose water. i guess it will cause it to rust on the inside. i guess baby water is better. ive never had an issue from running through hose water. so i guess thats your call.

Where do you pour the water to flush it? Into the radiator cap or coolant reservoir?

i just poured it through the radiatior cap. just leave the bottom plug undone and you will see the water pour out...with whatever reamaing coolant is in there

Read the owners manual for the amount you'll need and the t-stat is an easy fix. I just did a couple of months ago.

How many miles are on the car? I ask as you may want to replace the upper and lower radiator hoses as well. In addition to the t-stat I also replaced the t-stat sensor.

I'd just visually check the hoses then. I swapped mine out at 120k...they still looked good but since I was purging the system I figured why not.

Total for parts/coolant for me was roughly $100. This includes the t-stat sensor which was around $45.

I was having the same issue as you with the engine overheating and the overflow bottle backing up. After swapping the t-stat it would still start to overheat but not as bad. So I swapped the sensor and all is well.

Oh and since you did overheat I highly suggest you get a new rad cap. They are cheap and apparently once you overheat the seal on your current one will be shot.

Well it appears to be fixed! Thanks everyone. That how to was great!

I was worried i'd have to fork out a couple hundred bucks at a shop. Tstat and coolant totalled about 25!

Thermostat and coolant levels was my first guess, thats always your best and cheapest bet in that situation - my friend just had the same issue this morning with his 98 Mustang, and it was the exact same solution. Glad you got it fixed man :)

I think it's actually running cooler than it was before :). Big relief. First full day with it is today. I get to take my car to work instead of my fiance's. Woohoo

Well it appears to be fixed! Thanks everyone. That how to was great!

I was worried i'd have to fork out a couple hundred bucks at a shop. Tstat and coolant totalled about 25!

glad it helped and that was the problem. thats why i made the how to. there wasnt an actual on yet so i just started snappin photos for each step. i had no clue what i was doing when i did it. took me forever lol.

Think this could have caused the problem?

Attachments

• DSC03161.JPG
    DSC03161.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03162.JPG
    DSC03162.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 121
There was it just wasn't close enough to really tell what the caption was referring too. Thanks again

Back