Other thread closed...can we continue a civilized discussion about MSPs?

it's like you guys are trying to talk me into keeping my MSP...

Here was blkzoomzooms formula to run a 13.43 @ 104mph

3" exhaust w/3" highflow cat,(homemade, turbo-back)
Co2 intercooler sprayer, (homemade)
Motor mounts (front and rear)
ported throttlebody, (homemade)
coolant bypass from throttlebody, (homemade)
ice-water pump through t.b.- (homemade)
k&n panel filter,
wrapped the exhaust manifold w/headerwrap, (homemade)
wrapped the upper intercooler with heat insulation,(homemade)
modified fcd,
Boost controller,
rear spring spacers, (homemade)
light weight flywheel,
act street performance clutch,
205/50/15 g-force drag radials,

Add a MPI and slicks to it and it ran 13.15 @ 105.6mph.

And yes this was with the stock motor, turbo, intercooler, and plastic pipes.

what else do people want? geez.

why am i running 15's with a built motor?!?!

i'm doing this s*** WRONG

more driver mod?

definitely lack that one!

although this kid just game some nice ideas....

i have a washe fluid pump i can use to pump cold water trhough the throttle body
intercooler sprayer is an easy one too

don't get why the spacers though....SRT4 status?

yeah man, I was running low 14s with only 200whp and stock block, head, and clutch lo

I am in the middle of bringing another MSP back from the dead. Project Phoenix. This car was pulled out of a shop after the motor had been blown sky high, caught fire and was towed. This car sat for months waiting for someone to take pitty on it. This is my 3rd MSP. The first was a running car that I bought for DD after I found out my daughter was on her way. The second one was also a blown up basket case. I think appeal for this car is similar to the appeal that is growing with Miata... the car is just more than the sum of parts. The MSP, like the Miata, has a great connection with the driver and weaves the driver into the experience of traveling down the road, not simply just riding on it.

I have driven many cars in anger, whether it be Instructing at Sebring, or simply beating up on cones and I have to say there are not too many cars that have this connection. It is almost like the commericals say... the SOUL of a sports car.

The MSP is my favorite FWD car so far. I have driven Type R's and while they handle on the same level as the MSP, there is not quite the same connection between it and me.

Alejo, once I get Phoenix back on the road, I would love to take it to an Autocross, you game? There is a great site in FT. Myers that hosts autocrosses once a month that is a mile course!

i go to car meets all the time where the MS3 is king...i laugh at them and talk s*** about their car then they ask "well...what the **** do you know, you drive a piece of s*** protege" to which i respond..:"i have both...."

That's an attitude that I will never understand. My response would be that may very well the case in your mind however to me you are simply driving the modern version of the Gremlin X, which I bet the typical MS3 "King" would not even know what hell I meant.

amc-gremlin-x-01.jpg

Alejo, once I get Phoenix back on the road, I would love to take it to an Autocross, you game? There is a great site in FT. Myers that hosts autocrosses once a month that is a mile course!
i know, i've been fallowing your build on the facebook page...
and yes, i'm glame..ft mayers might be a little far..but i'll go
That's an attitude that I will never understand. My response would be that may very well the case in your mind however to me you are simply driving the modern version of the Gremlin X, which I bet the typical MS3 "King" would not even know what hell I meant.

[/IMG]

i'll need to do that one of these meets....hilarious.

I convinced my brother to buy an MS3 after I failed to convince myself. I test drove it a few times, and liked driving it, lag was acceptable, torque is phenomenal, and the car is a major step up in refinement over the Protege. However, I felt like I was sitting on a stack of phonebooks, and maybe because I spent the better part of my childhood riding around in a K-car wagon, I just can't shake my aversion to hatchbacks.

I still think it is the best enthusiasts car on the market in the $25-30k range, even though it is mechanically unchanged in almost 7 years. The ST is winning the comparisons, but the performance numbers are somewhat disappointing and lag behind the MS3 by quite a bit. Maybe if Toyobaru releases a turbocharged version of the GT86, but then it will no longer be under $30k.

Comparing it to the Gremlin X is simply unfair.

To me it does not look like a sports car or any other sports cars. So that old ad is spot on. Both cars are sort of its in the eye of the beholder thing. You can put a performance engine/drivetrain in anything and make it quick. And the whole hatch thing is misleading for it screams station wagon. All of that said I was simply posting a response to what I would consider to be an asshole type attitude from someone who drives another Mazda and somehow thinks that theirs is superior to other Mazdas because its the latest model.

Msp is way cooler than a speed3 by far. Speed3 is fun to drive and all except it will never look as good as a msp, does not handle as good and msp is the og for speeds. If it wasent for the msp there would be no speed3. Thats what allot of speed 3 owners fail to understand. I have had days when i was pissed at my msp, many days. But when it runs good and pulls this car is a nice little beast. One day i could go for an audi rs4 or subaru wrx sti or possible porsche 911 turbo. Regardless though i will still always keep my msp's.

Msp is way cooler than a speed3 by far. Speed3 is fun to drive and all except it will never look as good as a msp, does not handle as good and msp is the og for speeds. If it wasent for the msp there would be no speed3. Thats what allot of speed 3 owners fail to understand. I have had days when i was pissed at my msp, many days. But when it runs good and pulls this car is a nice little beast. One day i could go for an audi rs4 or subaru wrx sti or possible porsche 911 turbo. Regardless though i will still always keep my msp's.

they are both different cars
i do agree that the MSP is more connected to the road.
and yes, i enjoy the msp more than the ms3...but bluetooth is nice :)

I have been debating adding the Sony XAV-601BT or the DSX-310BTX to the MSP. They are two of the only receivers on the market that have full wireless Pandora control over your phone. It requires a Bluetooth protocol called SPP that Apple hasn't included yet so it's one of the few features that require an Android phone. The 601BT even transfers album art.

I've been holding out because I still have the dream of mounting a tablet in there for gauges and MSII control, but these obviously would be a whole lot easier.

Latest posts

Back