Ordered a CX-5

LFebs519

:
2009 Mazda 3
Hi all, this is my first post here! I live in upstate NY, Albany area. I ordered a White CX-5 GT with tech package on June 28th 2012. I contacted my sales man last week to check the status, wondering if he had a round about date for when the vehicle might possibly be coming in. He replied with "The Vin on my car has not been pulled yet so they do not have a date for delivery, but soon" I have no idea what this means?! Initally they told me 2-3 months, but mostly likely would be here "sometime in August". I was also told at the time of order they had an issue In Japan, where they ran out of the 19 inch rims for the GT which is why it was so backed up, (besides the demand). I am slightly annoyed by the lack of clear answers. Does anyone have any insight on this topic?

If you want the car sooner you may want to check out another dealer and see if they can do a dealer trade for what your looking for. It seems like theres more and more CX-5s on lots and it shouldn't take to long to find the car you are looking for.

I thought the GT wheel issue was resolved? sucks you're all the way up in Albany. Back in June when I bought my GT I was afraid they wouldn't have them again till late September so I drove down to PA to get mine in the color combination I wanted. But I look now and a dealer 10 minutes from me has 3 Black GT's, looks like they have 2 of the white one that you want as well. Damn the only one close to you with the Tech Package is Wayne Mazda in Wayne, NJ about 150 miles from Albany according to Mazda's Inventory on their site.

Thansk for all the replies! I have 3 dealerships close to me. 2 of them unwilling to wheel and deal with me. I really like the delarship I choose to order from, they are giving me a great deal on trading my old car and on the new car, just seems they have cloudy answers, which makes me wonder, do they really not know anything? What does it mean that my VIN hasn't pulled, yet...does anyone know?

I ordered my car on April 29th and just picked it up at the dealership on August 2nd and have been thru this process before. It took longer because of the demand and it was a factory order. I'm sure they'd like to get you the car as soon as possible. The issues in Japan are really out of the dealers control. What they mean when they tell you your VIN hasn't been pulled yet is that your car hasn't been manufactured yet. Usually once the car has been made, the dealership would get the VIN # of your car then you're just waiting for it to get shipped. I waited a long time for my car but it was definitely worth the wait.

Thank you so much rmac! Very helpful. I am willing to wait, and I know I will be getting exactally what I wanted. I just hate not knowing a round about date. I am assuming end of August begining of September. Wish me luck!

My dealer worked a trade with another dealer. They each had a car due in on the ship but they could not get the VIN until the ship they were on downloaded at the port (so they said). Once at the port the cars were in the system and they could get the VIN and project delivery. Pick mine up tomorrow! Not all dealers would trade, they all wanted another CX5 since they are selling well and most wanted a "better" vehicle to do the trade (my dealer gave up a GT for my Touring). My dealer did find a car in Florida earlier but since it was so far they wanted me to share the cost to ship it by truck, I squashed that idea and waited for this trade.

My dealer traded for our White touring w/ tech back in April. Maybe GT's are different?

Supply is starting to finally increase, but demand is still high, so dealers are still a bit hesitant to openly trade, but it is happening.

I just got 4 CX-5s in today, for the past 4 weeks I only had 1 on the ground, and at least 2 more are very close by (including one I am BUYING, cant wait lol).

To answer one post from earlier, a VIN is assigned when it is produced but before it goes on the ship (rmac mentioned this, and is right). Takes a few weeks for it to be on the water from Japan to the US, then either by train or truck to the dealer.

Fun times, look forward to hearing about your experience.

Takes a few weeks for it to be on the water from Japan to the US, then either by train or truck to the dealer.

We know that. Can you please be a little more specific about number of weeks from Japan to US? I assume you work for a dealership.

still waiting

Thank you all for the replies, keep them coming! Well, I ordered June 28th and still waiting. No updates from the dealer. No one around this area has anything to trade, all tourings here when I ordered the GT with tech package. I am getting so antsy, however not desperate to do anything else...so waiting it is :(

We know that. Can you please be a little more specific about number of weeks from Japan to US? I assume you work for a dealership.

It's about 3 and a half weeks, and thats the average going from Japan to Jacksonville, FL Port, where most of the East Coast Mazda orders come. I work for a Mazda dealer in North Carolina, and J-ville FL is the port we get ours from...

It's about 3 and a half weeks, and thats the average going from Japan to Jacksonville, FL Port, where most of the East Coast Mazda orders come. I work for a Mazda dealer in North Carolina, and J-ville FL is the port we get ours from...

JCarte29,

How long does it take to get the car to the dealership from the port?

JCarte29,

How long does it take to get the car to the dealership from the port?

On average I would say 15-20 days. I just went through, start to finish, order to delivery, on my own CX-5. Heres the timeline:

May 29th- ordered and "spec'd" my CX-5 knowing it would be about 90 days before I would see it. (and as it turned out, sooner!) No VIN, just an order number, status listed as "scheduled" (to produce)

June 23-29th- my CX-5 was in production, status listed as such, this was when it was assigned a VIN, I had that by the 24th. After production, it estimated (on point for the most part) time on water, deliver to port, and dealership (original estimate was Aug 3 to port, Aug 18th to dealer)

July 10-Aug 1- it was on the water during this time, and status was listed as exactly that, "on the water." no major updates during this time, just anticipation and excitement on my part :)

Aug 2-Aug 8- MAJOR update, CX-5 arrived to port, and "Accesories finished" The deal with this is if you have additional options added to a trim (not including packages, which are done during production to my knowledge), such as a roof rack or auto dim mirror with compass, port is where they are installed. This is also where the estimate to dealership was pushed up to Aug 11 (a Saturday) and through mazdausa.com shown in my dealer's inventory! I was over the moon excited.

Aug 13-14 ARRIVED to my dealership, I signed up and my vehicle went through PDI (term for overlook, remove plastic, NC state inspection, etc.) Drove it home Tuesday night!

*********I hope this helps, BUT My "disclaimer" is that this in no way is a representation of the process for all CX-5s ( for that matter any particular Mazda), as I have seen since workin for them that natural storms and other obstacles/occurrences can affect timing, both on and off the water. Please just have patience and be fair with your dealership, it was still a 2 and a half month process for mine, and that was amazingly fast.*********

I was definitely OK with the time frame mainly for my own reasons, saving $$$$ for down payment the top of those. :D

I just ordered mine today. Luckily, there is already one with 99.9% of what I want coming to port this Sunday. The dealer said for NC it will take between 5 to 7 days to reach here from port (Jacksonville, Fla).

Jcarte thank you so much for your details, this is extremely helpful for me. It gives me a piece of mind on about how long I should/will be waiting. I ordered on June 28th, so I am going to go ahead and assume middle to end of September for Delivery to upstate NY. The dealer told me end of August beginning of September, but from everything else I have read, that just doesn't seem to be realistic.
My car now is fine and I am in no rush here, as long as I get it before the winter time, I got the CX-5 for the AWD as my little FWD Mazda 3 is terrible in the snow. Its just the excitement of a new vehicle that makes me get super antsy!

In the Chicagoland area there does not seem to be a shortage but once they hit the lot they do move pretty fast. Some dealers may be limited on colors/trim. Most dealers here trade. Due to the high demand though prices are not coming down a lot. Luckily I got mine rather easy with exactly what I wanted and no more, right color too. Paid $100 over "invoice" whatever that means. Of course many dealers make the shortage claim to make them seem more elusive, thus less negotiating down on the price.

...Its just the excitement of a new vehicle that makes me get super antsy!

You're very welcome, because as much as I wanted a CX-5 (my second Mazda, I just got out of 2002 626 that I had for 7+ years, bought used), I was glad to personally go through the process myself so I can be more knowledgeable and helpful to my customers who want to do the same thing, on any model, not just a CX-5.

Now, trust me, my sales manager and my co-workers had a fun time pickin on me for my excitement the last two and a half months, all in good humor though LOL. I will share one particular story...

First of August, when Mazda emails us the newest incentives on all the models, they do change time to time, sometimes stay put....well in this case they expanded the list of models with 90 days/first payment, and I think maybe there was one other awesome incentive, 0% or something, anyways, he read that, paused (intentionally), then continued ".....EXCEPT the Mazda CX-5." EVERYONE (we are a small sales staff but push good volume) just started hootin and a'hawlerin, almost to tears, cause it was public knowledge that I had one comin LOL.

I just ordered mine today. Luckily, there is already one with 99.9% of what I want coming to port this Sunday. The dealer said for NC it will take between 5 to 7 days to reach here from port (Jacksonville, Fla).

Triton46, if you don't mind me inquiring, where in NC are ya? I'm not sayin a 5-7 day time frame is right or wrong (maybe just a bit underestimated), just curious...

Back