Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

Just tried the Dice R2 on the 2008.5. Does not work... The radio doesn't even show a connected iPod, I tested with a iPod Touch 2G. Charging is temperamental as well. Most of the time just shows not charging. :'(

Like I said the only module that will work on the '08.5 Mz3 is the newer of the two OEM modules. The DICE r2 isn't an OEM module.

Hi all!
I have an '06 Mazda3 S 5 door.
I'm thinking of installing GROM USB2.
Has anyone tried this unit? How is the support for audio formats? Any trouble with any specific mp3 bitrates, VBR, etc.?
It says on the website that you plug it into cd changer port, but the stock cd changer (which i have) continues to work. How does it actually function? Media button?
Thanks

So the Grom can be controlled from iPod, Radio, and Steering wheel; and it charges right? Just doesn't have text and aux input like the others?

Seems like the only option without complaints on here...

** Do It Yourself **
Hi everyone. I see this thread has been going for nearly 4 years. Hot topic! Maybe it's old stuff for some of you, but I just bought my first Mazda, a used 06 M3, so I'm new to this forum. I needed (OK, "wanted") to add an mp3 player, and found this forum by chance. Great info, thanks to all who contributed.

A couple people in this thread have asked about Do-It-Yourself aux connection. If all you need is the aux audio input, and no iPod control, and if you can solder, then you can activate the aux input almost for free, you just need a couple easy-to-get parts. I have an old Creative Zen mp3 player (still works great), that I have successfully connected to my head unit through the CD-Changer port.

Note: this was done on a 2006 M3, with the standard (non-Bose) head unit. I have not tried this on any other model.

You'll need some wire, some shielded audio cable with a 3.5mm male jack to connect to your mp3 player headphone jack, and a connector to fit the CD-Changer port on the back of the head unit, and that's all! For the connector, a standard 0.1" spacing 2x8 female header will fit, like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=A26458-ND or any equivalent part. Obviously the shape of this connector doesn't match the Mazda head unit, but the electrical connections match and it fits snuggly enough so it won't vibrate off. If you have a dead CD Changer then you can salvage the proper connector from that.

Refer to the diagram posted in this thread by "TheMan" way back in 10-01-2006, on the first page.
1) Solder a short piece of wire from pin 2M to 2A. This makes the head unit think there's a CD changer connected, and enables the "MEDIA" button.
2) Solder your headphone cable right channel, to pin 2C.
3) Solder your headphone cable left channel, to pin 2E.
4) Solder your headphone cable shield, to pins 2D and 2F together.

The "MEDIA" button on the head unit will activate the aux port, and the car's LCD display will show "AUX".

Note that pin 2O (2-oh) on the connector provides a switched 12V signal, but this cannot power an mp3 player directly. This pin is intended to control an electronic power switch in the CD-Changer. If you need switched power for your player, you can tap off the head unit main harness.

My Creative Zen runs on 5V, so I put a 5V voltage regulator on the back of the head unit (just fastened it on the outside of the chassis) and ran a cord out along side the headphone cable to the mp3 player. I got the switched 12V from the main harness as described above, to power the 5V regulator, and so the Zen will power itself down when the car's ignition is turned off. There is no hum or buzz, audio quality is excellent.

Not sure if anyone else has run into this yet or not, but the OEM Mazda adapter DOES NOT charge the 3g iPod touch. I have a 64 gig, and it warns me every time that it doesnt charge from the accessory.

Thanks Apple. (squinty)

Not sure if anyone else has run into this yet or not, but the OEM Mazda adapter DOES NOT charge the 3g iPod touch. I have a 64 gig, and it warns me every time that it doesnt charge from the accessory.

Thanks Apple. (squinty)

There are some aftermarket companies that make an adapter that plugs between the ipod module's dock connector cable and the dock connector on the ipod itself that will allow you to charge it.

None of the newer gen ipods and iphone 3G/3GS can be charged with older connectors.

There are some aftermarket companies that make an adapter that plugs between the ipod module's dock connector cable and the dock connector on the ipod itself that will allow you to charge it.

None of the newer gen ipods and iphone 3G/3GS can be charged with older connectors.

Got a link? My second gen iPod touch worked fine with the adapter, charging included. Thats why it irks me that they changed something now.

Hi everyone,

What would be the most cost effective way of connecting one of those small Sirius radios like the Sportster 5 or Starmate to your Mazda 3 (2006)? Could you use the same adapter to connect another device like an MP3 player or even an iPhone?

Hi everyone,

What would be the most cost effective way of connecting one of those small Sirius radios like the Sportster 5 or Starmate to your Mazda 3 (2006)? Could you use the same adapter to connect another device like an MP3 player or even an iPhone?

Either the AuxMod basic (difficult to find), grom simple input, PIE, or peripherals. I'd probably go with the Grom just for the price and easy availability. You will need a ground loop isolator to avoid alternator whine while charging the starmate. The grom provides a 3.5mm input so you can use another device with it simply by unplugging the starmate and plugging in the mp3 player.

Thanks icspots. Who usually has the best deal on the inputs and GLI? Does the GLI eliminate the alternator whine altogether? BTW, I may be able to get my hands on the Auxmod but it's pricey: $60 + shipping. Should I dismiss the aux mod altogether? I'm confused on the PIE too. Since it's pricey, if I've found the right one. I don't like PIE's site, I dont know which is the right adapter: http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=128&cat=Mazda.

Last edited:
Thanks icspots. Who usually has the best deal on the inputs and GLI? Does the GLI eliminate the alternator whine altogether? BTW, I may be able to get my hands on the Auxmod but it's pricey: $60 + shipping. Should I dismiss the aux mod altogether? I'm confused on the PIE too. Since it's pricey, if I've found the right one. I don't like PIE's site, I dont know which is the right adapter: http://www.pie.net/pie_store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=128&cat=Mazda.

Prices will vary. I have links to the different inputs in the OP to give you some examples but. Recommend trying some searches before purchasing just to see if you can find a better one somewhere.

The GLI will eliminate alternator whine.

I wouldn't dismiss the auxmod as it's a perfectly good input and I've never had an issue with mine. It's especially helpful if you want to have something else connected through the port on the back of the HU (SAT, iPod, etc).

There's a description of the differences in the PIE adapters in the OP. You'd most likely want the 3.5mm adapter.

I just bought and received the AuxMOD Basic for my 2006 Mazda 3. (http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/)

The item installed perfectly. I tested it and the Media button correctly played music on both my ipod and iphone.

HOWEVER -

When I switch to FM, the sound dies. The stereo is still powered, but no sound comes through it. Turning the power button on and off does nothing. Still no sound will come through it.

The only fix is to turn off the car altogether, and turn it back on. But this only works for a few seconds, then sound dies again completely.

I have tried contacting AuxMOD about this, still no reply. I am wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem or if there is a fix?

All I can say is that this is frustrating!

I just bought and received the AuxMOD Basic for my 2006 Mazda 3. (http://www.sylfex.com/products/AuxMod/)

The item installed perfectly. I tested it and the Media button correctly played music on both my ipod and iphone.

HOWEVER -

When I switch to FM, the sound dies. The stereo is still powered, but no sound comes through it. Turning the power button on and off does nothing. Still no sound will come through it.

The only fix is to turn off the car altogether, and turn it back on. But this only works for a few seconds, then sound dies again completely.

I have tried contacting AuxMOD about this, still no reply. I am wondering if anyone here has had a similar problem or if there is a fix?

All I can say is that this is frustrating!

Never heard of anyone having this problem.

? Running the wire from aux input

So I have the aux mod installed, but that's it. I have a couple of questions.

I saw some pics on flickr and elsewhere of the install and one was led to believe there was room in the cigarette ashtray to run the cable through. However, I noticed this evening that the ashtray compartment is solid. There is no opening where you can pull the cable from the top to the bottom.

Do I have to remove the entire cigarette lighter assembly and cup holder/auto tranny console to run the cable through?

Also, I have a ground loop noise isolator with a male and female end. Should I trun he extension male to male plug this into the aux mod first or into the ground loop noise isolator?

So I have the aux mod installed, but that's it. I have a couple of questions.

I saw some pics on flickr and elsewhere of the install and one was led to believe there was room in the cigarette ashtray to run the cable through. However, I noticed this evening that the ashtray compartment is solid. There is no opening where you can pull the cable from the top to the bottom.

Do I have to remove the entire cigarette lighter assembly and cup holder/auto tranny console to run the cable through?

There is a solid removable insert inside the "ashtray" section that's the actual ashtray. If you remove that then you can sneak a cable to either side of ashtray light.

As far as removing the console you could do it without removing anything but the HU, however it's a lot easier if you pop loose the cupholders, gear shift surround, and ashtray section. You can have all of those loose in less than 5 minutes.

Also, I have a ground loop noise isolator with a male and female end. Should I trun he extension male to male plug this into the aux mod first or into the ground loop noise isolator?

Plug the GLI into the Aux Mod, and you can zip tie little "box" under the HU where the tape deck would be. Then plug your extension into the GLI and run it to wherever you want it to come out.

$125? If it works, and charges my latest gen iPod, Id buy it today. Im so sick of the OEM adapter not charging my touch.

I may order one this weekend. I just ordered my bluetooth adapter from parrot tuesday so I'll be in there to install that as well.

Got it Monday. They shipped fast. I'm waiting for my parrot bluetooth bose adapter before I install. I may even decide to get Sirius finally too and get my Shark Antenna installed while I'm at it.

mazda 3 aux problem

heloo

i just bought xcarlink and i have strange problem. When i put an usb key in to xcarlink it doesnt happen anything, it is acting like it is no media available, or it show on display like its playing something, but there is no sound, but when i put sd card in to slot it works normaly.

its mazda 3 2004 with ordinary radio, no cd.

i have changed 3 xcarlink, and it always the same

has anyone got any idea.

thanks

peter

Back