Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

Alright I have read through this whole thread and still have some questions. I am picking up an '09 MS3 GT. The dealer said that it would cost them $642to install Sirius, and 434 for the IPOD module, which I think is a bit steep. Can I install both or is it either one or the other? I want to stick with OEM parts. From what I understand I need to buy the Ipod Module and switchbox, and Sirius receiver. How difficult is the install on the two? I have installed plenty of receivers before, but is it best to leave it to a professional since its a brand new car and will be covered under warranty?

The switchbox is only for '07-'08 models. For the '09 model you'll need the sirius module, and the ipod module w/ sirius. There are two different ipod install kits.... one for use with sirius, and one for use without. Both of these are easily installable by you for free if you don't have any problems disassembling the interior of the car (ridiculously easy) and running some wires...... That should save you about $3-400 right there.

Can anyone define what 08.5 is? Is there a VIN # where it starts? Is ID3/text function lost with C9F4V6029 for the first half of 08?

Can anyone define what 08.5 is? Is there a VIN # where it starts? Is ID3/text function lost with C9F4V6029 for the first half of 08?

Look at your car's build date either on your window sticker or on the sticker on the driver's door jamb. If it was after 01/01/2008 then you have a '08.5. Also there are some feature differences between the two models. '08.5's have:
-white gauge cluster needles
-piano black trim
-regular 3 GT trim has a power driver's seat
-MS3 GT has alcantara inserts in seats

swap satellite for aux?

I just bought a used 2008 mazda3 hatchback from a friend. They had the factory sirius satellite receiver installed, which prevents the AUX input in the armrest from working. I'm not interested in paying for the sirius subscription and would much rather have the aux input back. Rather than pay for an adapter, is is possible to disconnect the satellite receiver and reconnect the aux input? And if so, how involved is it (I have no experience dismantling interiors). Thanks for any and all help.

I just bought a used 2008 mazda3 hatchback from a friend. They had the factory sirius satellite receiver installed, which prevents the AUX input in the armrest from working. I'm not interested in paying for the sirius subscription and would much rather have the aux input back. Rather than pay for an adapter, is is possible to disconnect the satellite receiver and reconnect the aux input? And if so, how involved is it (I have no experience dismantling interiors). Thanks for any and all help.

Very easy. It should take you about five minutes and a phillips head screwdriver to remove the stereo, then it's a simple matter of unplugging the sirius from the HU and plugging the ACI back in. You might need to look around for the ACI harness as it frequently gets tied off to another harness or tucked behind a panel to keep from rattling around.

To remove:
-open the glove compt.
-grab the dash strip at the left side of the glove compt. and pull towards the back of the car to release the three tension clips between the LCD and the right side of the strip. Be careful not to pull the right side straight back as it's connected by a hook, not a clip.
-gently flex the strip to disengage the hook
-pop the last tension clip to the left of the LCD free.
-remove two phillips head screws at the top of the HU
-grab the HU (try not to pull on the face plate itself) and pull backwards to release the clips.
-use care that the metal frame doesn't scratch up your dash.
-unplug sirius, replug ACI, and reinstall in reverse order.

Anyone have problems connecting the aux input into the iPod Integration Module's aux input jack? They seem to be different sizes. Everything else works now except the aux input jack. :-( It's an 08.5 MS3 with the parts bought from Montgomery Mazda.

I noticed when searching for the switchbox, that the P/N has changed...

"Part number TD1379CFZ was superseded by part number C9F1V6261."

It's listed @ $113.60 at Online Mazda Parts. Is that how much the older part number part cost as well?

Anyone have problems connecting the aux input into the iPod Integration Module's aux input jack? They seem to be different sizes. Everything else works now except the aux input jack. :-( It's an 08.5 MS3 with the parts bought from Montgomery Mazda.

Weird, there should be a dedicated port on the ipod module for the ACI plug. I'd drop Jason an e-mail and see if he knows what's up.

I noticed when searching for the switchbox, that the P/N has changed...

It's listed @ $113.60 at Online Mazda Parts. Is that how much the older part number part cost as well?

The switchbox is only for '07-'08 models..... '08.5 and newer the ACI can plug into the ipod module's install harness.

The switchbox is only for '07-'08 models..... '08.5 and newer the ACI can plug into the ipod module's install harness.

Yes. I know this. That wasn't my question.

I have an '08 (NOT an '08.5) and just purchased the Sirius kit for the '07/'08 and need to get the switchbox. When I searced for the part number listed in this thread, I got the message that I quoted in my post above:

Yes. I know this. That wasn't my question.

I have an '08 (NOT an '08.5) and just purchased the Sirius kit for the '07/'08 and need to get the switchbox. When I searced for the part number listed in this thread, I got the message that I quoted in my post above:

Oops, sorry. Yes, if there's a new part number then get that one. The $113 was the price for the original P/N.

Basic Mod on 2005

Hello,

I have a 2005 Mazda3 Sport (Hatchback) and i am interested in the basic mod (straight-up aux input, nothing fancy) but it looks like the option is no longer available. Any feedback or alternatives?

Thanks!

I've got an '04 Mazda3. 6-cd changer and no tape deck.

What would be the cheapest iPod (or 3.5mm) input that I could buy?

What control would switch it on?

Last edited:
i have the same exact car 04, 6 disc cd changer i bought this of ebay:
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

its pretty cheap and works perfectly.. the sound is clear and better then regular cd's. you can choose to get an ipod wire or just a regular audio wire.. sucks for me i had to get a regular wire cause my ipod is the latest generation and that adapter would not charge it, but for you, if u have an old version ipod, it would charge it too!!!!!

I've got an '04 Mazda3. 6-cd changer and no tape deck.

What would be the cheapest iPod (or 3.5mm) input that I could buy?

What control would switch it on?

The cheapest standard input is the grom.

The cheapest ipod module is the grom.

Both would be accessed by pushing CD twice and connect through the port on the back of the HU.

vladjan said:
sucks for me i had to get a regular wire cause my ipod is the latest generation and that adapter would not charge it, but for you, if u have an old version ipod, it would charge it too!!!!!

Schocshe (SP?) makes an adapter that you plug inline with you integration module that will allow old ipod dock connectors to charge the newer hardware. Just FYI.

For the '09 model you'll need the sirius module, and the ipod module w/ sirius. There are two different ipod install kits.... one for use with sirius, and one for use without. Both of these are easily installable by you for free if you don't have any problems disassembling the interior of the car (ridiculously easy) and running some wires...... That should save you about $3-400 right there.

icspots- If want sirus and the ipod module, there is an all in one solution for a 2009 ms3(w/o bose)? Where do you recommend picking up this part?

Last edited:
Back