Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

Can anyone tell me or show me how to insert one of those plastic ties under the radio grill (inside the back of the radio) and over to secure my auxmod connector? there doesnt seem to be enough space to do this and I am stumped. The people at Syflex are ignoring my emails (after getting my money) even though their instructions say to do this but they don't say how. Pic is here: http://carview-img04.bmcdn.jp/carlife/images/UserCarNote/639229/p5.jpg

Use a tiny zip tie. Stick the end into one of the holes in the grate, then use a small pair of needle nose pliers or tweezers to grab the tip and pull it back up.

Thanks, I tried that with the twist tie that was included and I wasn't able to get the zip tie inside and under the grate. Does that make sense is maybe my grate is tighter than most?

That's cool. How did you update the firmware? Or did you buy a new version?

Updated firmware. Download it from their website. Put it on a usb stick, WA LA.

Well, read the exact directions I paraphrased, but the new changelog said it had over 864 changes since the last firmware.

icspots, thank you for the great thread and info! I've been extremely frustrated with FM transmitters, so I finally decided to install an auxiliary kit on my Mazda 3, and I'm inclined toward the Neo Pro Link. For now, thanks for the tip on disconnecting the antenna!

One question, after running a search on what tools I will need to break down the dash and install the kit, I didn't find anything helpful, are there any you guys recommend? Thanks a lot!

Cheers!

Rico.

Last edited:
Ipod vs AUX

HI

I just picked up a new Mazda 3 GT-E... we went with the ipod adapter but now the aux connection does not work. Is that the norm that if you go with the ipod you no longer have access to the aux?

Thanks
Sue

HI

I just picked up a new Mazda 3 GT-E... we went with the ipod adapter but now the aux connection does not work. Is that the norm that if you go with the ipod you no longer have access to the aux?

Thanks
Sue

yep, unless you buy the $113 adapter to allow both if its available for the 2010.

It has been a while since I posted here (bought a bike) but i am still aggrevated that i cannot have both world when it come to sirius and a ipod in my 2008 since it a was a pre jan model (missed out on power seats but got bose with my navi). Has anyone tried to set up some small relays (dei 8616) to switch input signals, text datd/clk and bus signals (I would believe it would be best to just splice the power and grounds) set one satellite radio for say to normal through 87a and the other ipod interface to normal open 87 with a push button switch in the center console two switch back and forth??? any thoughts or has this been tried and failed???

Using the aux-mod, I am not able to keep the male end 100% into the female plug of the aux-mod. I am going to take the unit out and take it to an electronics store for their opinion but my guess is the female plug on the aux-mod board is a little larger than it should be (cheaply made out of spec chinese parts) and every male plug I tried seems to slip out just enough so there is no connection with my sirius radio or any other mp3 player I want to use. The lack of support and response from the Syflex seems to support my belief.

Just a quick thank you to icspots and the others in this long thread. I was able to add the GROM unit for my iPhone without any difficulty at all. The pics posted within the thread were a great guide.

One quick question though. I have the 2007 MS3, and also wanted to add SAT radio. What's the best option to to that now, and I believe I need the part below, but the link no longer works, has it been replaced with another part?

OEM input switch box (P/N TD1379CFZ)- For 2007 models with the ACI. Allows you to plug the ACI, as well as one of the following: sirius, phatbox, OEM ipod adapter, etc. into the HU via the sirius/CD changer jack. ~$113.60
(Note: One input on the switch box works only with the ACI)

Just a quick thank you to icspots and the others in this long thread. I was able to add the GROM unit for my iPhone without any difficulty at all. The pics posted within the thread were a great guide.

One quick question though. I have the 2007 MS3, and also wanted to add SAT radio. What's the best option to to that now, and I believe I need the part below, but the link no longer works, has it been replaced with another part?

1) The switchbox allows you to plug in the factory ACI and sirius. You cannot plug both the grom and sirius into the switchbox at the same time. As noted in the listing you quoted "(Note: One input on the switch box works only with the ACI)"

2) As to the link not working it was to onlinemazdaparts's website and they may have moved the catolog entry. Regardless the P/N is still current and you can get that at any dealer, or online OEM retailer.

Great info, if a bit disheartening. I was hoping to have both an iPod/iPhone mod working and add satellite too. :(

Is there no way to accomplish that short of a new head unit?

I think for us dinasours who don't have an AUX connector in our older 3s are SOL. The sole reason for the AUX-MOD was for an AUX plug for an iPOD/iPhone, MP3 player and Sirius radio.

That sucks, but I think I'd rather have the iPod/iPhone integration in that case. Slacker/Pandora and my MP3's are more preferable in most cases where I'm driving here. This makes me want a new head unit though.

Ya, if you don't mind the gap in your console or the loss of your LED panel then I'd get a new head unit.

since he has a '07 model then he'll actually keep the LCD panel. It will still display his ambient temp., and if applicable his climate control info. It will also keep the last set thing on the left (clock, DIS, etc.).

since he has a '07 model then he'll actually keep the LCD panel. It will still display his ambient temp., and if applicable his climate control info. It will also keep the last set thing on the left (clock, DIS, etc.).

Again excellent info to know, thank you again icspots. I would gladly buy you a pint for the help if you're ever out in Charlotte.

Hey, I wanted help with doing this mod on my '06 mazda3.

I wont be using an ipod though, everything says ipod on the first page. I have a android that i'd like to play music though (think pandora).

What is the best option for me?

Hey, I wanted help with doing this mod on my '06 mazda3.

I wont be using an ipod though, everything says ipod on the first page. I have a android that i'd like to play music though (think pandora).

What is the best option for me?
Are you using the AUXMOD? I have the AUXMOD chip and I use it is my 06 MZ3. I to Pandora it up works fine. I would just get a ground loop isolator if you plan on using a charger while playing music.

Last edited:
No i haven't done any mods yet.

The lcd stuff is nice but is that only for ipods? Should I only get the line in option?

The auxmod looks pretty easy to do once you get the part.

Back