Options for adding an auxiliary input on the Mazda3

The GROM works with the iPhone, plus I believe the Mazda doesn't charge it plus it locks it out, which makes the iPhone worthless even if it did connect.

Thanks but it seems like the GROM unit doesn't support the 2009 Mazda5...

So today by mistake I hit the cd button on the stereo 2x and it went into aux mode. I thought it was weird because grom advertises that it would be the media button you press to access the aux. In any case I'm still having a problem that whenever I play music off my ipod its really quite I have to crank the stereo to max before I can hear any base. Also on top of that there is a beep noise I am not sure if its coming out of the speakers or something else. What do you guy think the problem could be?

I finally got around to installing the Grom AUX-IN on my 2006 Mazda 3, and it works fine.

I followed the guide with the pictures that was posted before and it was pretty painless.

A few comments:
1) Getting the connectors out of the radio was a pain. Had to use a screwdriver to get leverage on the big one.
2) My stereo actually has an extra connector going to the LCD that wasn't in the pictures, that also needs to be removed.
3) Remember to turn the iPod volume way up, otherwise you won't think it's working.
4) Hardest part was removing the long thin dash trim strip. Most of it is push in fasteners but the right-hand side is actually a sideways fastener that needs to be removed from the side.

Still amused at how easy it is to pull apart the whole center console. It's pretty much held in by nothing.

I've been away for Easter and haven't tried to change the GROM's mode to see if it works better. I might get to it today once I get home from my flight, if not, I will this weekend.

Hey im new to the mazda community jus got a mazda 3 2005.. so ive been searching and confused...i want full integration..lcd text..charging..unlocked ipod..good quality sound..if anyone has the right option a link to as where i can get it would be helpful.

Hey im new to the mazda community jus got a mazda 3 2005.. so ive been searching and confused...i want full integration..lcd text..charging..unlocked ipod..good quality sound..if anyone has the right option a link to as where i can get it would be helpful.

The only option for integration on the '05 model is the Axxess module listed in the OP. I believe it has two modes, one where the ipod is unlocked and all control is through the ipod. The second the ipod is locked out, control is through the stereo, and info. is displayed on the LCD

** Do It Yourself **

Note: this was done on a 2006 M3, with the standard (non-Bose) head unit. I have not tried this on any other model.

You'll need some wire, some shielded audio cable with a 3.5mm male jack to connect to your mp3 player headphone jack, and a connector to fit the CD-Changer port on the back of the head unit, and that's all! For the connector, a standard 0.1" spacing 2x8 female header will fit, like this: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=A26458-ND or any equivalent part. Obviously the shape of this connector doesn't match the Mazda head unit, but the electrical connections match and it fits snuggly enough so it won't vibrate off. If you have a dead CD Changer then you can salvage the proper connector from that.

Refer to the diagram posted in this thread by "TheMan" way back in 10-01-2006, on the first page.
1) Solder a short piece of wire from pin 2M to 2A. This makes the head unit think there's a CD changer connected, and enables the "MEDIA" button.
2) Solder your headphone cable right channel, to pin 2C.
3) Solder your headphone cable left channel, to pin 2E.
4) Solder your headphone cable shield, to pins 2D and 2F together.

The "MEDIA" button on the head unit will activate the aux port, and the car's LCD display will show "AUX".

Note that pin 2O (2-oh) on the connector provides a switched 12V signal, but this cannot power an mp3 player directly. This pin is intended to control an electronic power switch in the CD-Changer. If you need switched power for your player, you can tap off the head unit main harness.

I have a 2006 GT hatch, with Bose audio, 6 disc changer AND and cassette player. It has the SAT and MEDIA button, and the media button controls the tape desk, obviously.

If I use the 16 pin input for the sirius radio and do the DIY method, will it be accessed using the SAT button, or by pressing the CD button twice?

I've read all 16 pages and I don't see anyone who actually has a casette deck. I just want a 3.5mm input connector and I can do the DIY method as long as it can be accessed using one of the buttons on the radio.

Thanks for information, and great thread!

Unfortunetely no, none of the available auxiliary inputs are activated using the SAT button. Other than what it says on the button though it won't really change how the input works. Like I said you can either go with the AuxMod Basic and use the TAPE/MD/MEDIA button, or you can go with the PIE (or other) and hit the CD button twice.

What model year is your car? If you have a '07 then you already have an input.

OK, I guess this answers my question...I saw this in a thread on another forum. Using any of the adapters, like the grom, OR doing the DIY method will still be accessed by pressing the CD button twice. Is that correct?

Last edited:
OK, I guess this answers my question...I saw this in a thread on another forum.

Yup, that's my thread over there too..... actually I think that one is a little more up to date. <sigh> so many updates to do. lol

Using any of the adapters, like the grom, OR doing the DIY method will still be accessed by pressing the CD button twice. Is that correct?

Yes, all of those will be accessed by pushing CD twice.

One other thing I just noticed in the DIY post by 8-bit that I quoted above:

The "MEDIA" button on the head unit will activate the aux port, and the car's LCD display will show "AUX".

As I said, I've got a cassette player that is activated with the Media button. I assume in my case I would press the CD button twice....or, do I press the media button twice?

Just trying to sort out the details before I do it.

The new GROM is media button twice, then something else for what mode it puts the GROM in. I still need to install mine and troubleshoot it.

I just tried to 'activate' the aux input function by shorting pins 2A to 2M to ground the AUX connect 2M, per the directions in the DIY post I quoted above. It does nothing on my unit, presumably because I already have a cassette deck that has activate the media button. Pressing the media button twice does nothing, as does pressing the CD button twice.

I then tried tying 2M to 2O, to pull the AUX connection up. It does nothing. Tied it to signal ground, 2G, instead of 2A which is power ground. Nothing.

I guess I will have to purchase a grom, but first contact them to be sure it will work with a head unit that already has a cassette deck installed.

The new GROM is media button twice, then something else for what mode it puts the GROM in. I still need to install mine and troubleshoot it.

Still no joy. They finally sent me a new firmware update I hope I can try Friday if I get time, before getting ready for Import Alliance. Sounds like the sound is just bleeding through another line or station? Anyone have the new grom unit and a 8.5+ and have it work?

Still no joy. They finally sent me a new firmware update I hope I can try Friday if I get time, before getting ready for Import Alliance. Sounds like the sound is just bleeding through another line or station? Anyone have the new grom unit and a 8.5+ and have it work?

I couldn't get the new grom to work on my 8.5, barely audible music with a s*** load of static. Promptly returned it.

Same boat. Ugg, I was hoping it worked. I haven't tried the new firmware yet.

Welp, I just upgraded to the latest firmware and it works!!!! The notes say over 800+ plus changes. Apparently whatever they did it works now.

Welp, I just upgraded to the latest firmware and it works!!!! The notes say over 800+ plus changes. Apparently whatever they did it works now.
That's cool. How did you update the firmware? Or did you buy a new version?

Can anyone tell me or show me how to insert one of those plastic ties under the radio grill (inside the back of the radio) and over to secure my auxmod connector? there doesnt seem to be enough space to do this and I am stumped. The people at Syflex are ignoring my emails (after getting my money) even though their instructions say to do this but they don't say how. Pic is here: http://carview-img04.bmcdn.jp/carlife/images/UserCarNote/639229/p5.jpg

Last edited:
Back