Online Video for Replacing Brakes

cop1976

:
2002 Protege 5
Does anyone if there are any videos online showing how to replace pads and rotors for the P5? I am not mechanically inclined, but I would like to try to replace my brakes on my own. Any help is appreciated. Any suggestions on what type of pads and rotors to use? I drive about 95% highway. Thanks.(five-0)

if you're not mechanically inclined brakes might be a tough place to start. If you're not experienced, I'd leave it to a tech unless you have an experienced person helping you out.

I don't know of any videos online, but I'd suggest picking up the hanes manual for your specific mazda. They have step by step instructions with pictures. I don't know what kind of tools you have, but a high impact and/or an air ratchet will make the job a lot easier. Good luck.

Pads are usualy pretty easy, all that's involved is a single allen wrench bolt to be removed, remove the pads and if necessary, push the caliper back a smigen to fit the pads back in.

Rotors on the other hand... are a bit more complicated and I wouldn't reccomend undertaking something like that without an experienced person supervising(because you have to remove the entire brake assembly off the stock rotor). Probaly can do the pads on your own like I already said, but having someone with you for that too is a good precaution.

course,this is prettymuch what everyone else already said :p

Last edited:
You only remove 8 more bolts if you do rotors and pads at the same time. It's really easy but if you aren't mechanically inclined you may want to buy a manual.

cheapmiata1600 said:
You only remove 8 more bolts if you do rotors and pads at the same time. It's really easy but if you aren't mechanically inclined you may want to buy a manual.
yeah, I agree, but if he means "never even checked my oil level before" type not mechanically inclined it'll be somewhat difficult. Manual sounds like a good idea. You should be able to get a haynes at basicaly any Napa, autozone or advanced auto parts store that'll give detailed instructions on how to replace any part in your car.

Any suggestions on what type of pads and rotors to use?
there's not alot of reason to switch out rotors for anything except the OEM/stock ones unless they're worn if your 95% highway drive,unless you're like me and just don't care lol. I wouldn't get huge rotors unless you upgrade your brake system too along with it, but some slotted ones will do the trick with your pad change.
As for pads, I use some ceramix premium pads from napa, their MSRP was $90 . Greenstuff @ protegegarrage is roughly the equivilent I believe. Both are low dusting, and I'm pretty sure they're both ceramic based (I know mine are anyway)

Last edited:
There is a how-to on the step by step. But I highly recommend you get a friend who knows how to do it to watch over.

Thanks for all the advise so far folks. I use to be a mould maker apprentice, so I know how to take things apart and put them back together, but I have never really worked on a car. I know I put down that I am not mechanically inclined, but I do know how to use tools, just never used any of them on my vehicles. I figure if I have a guide of some sort it should be easy to follow along (the operative word there is "SHOULD"). Please keep putting in your input. Thanks again.
(five-0)

The whole procedure really isn't difficult relatively speaking. However, I think the reason why many of us (including myself) are recommending that you have an experienced brake person help you is because even with following the directions, there are a few places where you can go wrong unknowingly. These kind of mistakes can have undesirable and potentially dangerous consequences. We're just looking out for your safety.

Back