Oil Leak, Valve Cover Question ?

Hey folks so I have a pretty big oil leak. Every use of 1 or 2 full tanks I have to add 1 quart of oil, which is about every 300 miles per full tank, or once every week or week and a half...

It looked like I needed to change the valve cover gasket which I did
Before Pic:
q4H11ad.jpg

RAYvCoX.jpg

After replacing the valve cover gasket it was much better, as well as performance, but I see the rubber blue seal starting to give, and also the black rubber seals where the nut goes in...its only on the side where the valve cover cap side is, and no I do not spill oil when adding it...

Why does this happen do I need a stronger or thicker valve cover gasket? Is it the heat or what?

After Pic:
5ijyY6M.jpg

yvzVd8C.jpg

It looks as though you've tightened the cover too tight- what did you tighten it to? You don't want the cover touching the head, so don't ''drive it home'' so to speak. Also, if your PCV system is restricted, it can cause over-pressurization of the crankcase, resulting in premature failure of seals and gaskets.

BTW, torque spec is 53-70in.lbs.

If it isn't leaking you don't need to replace it again. It's easy to snap those bolts off don't over tighten them.

i just bought a 2007 cx7 about 3 weeks ago and noticed an oil spot in my garage. took it to mechanic and he told me that the valve cover gaskets were leaking bad. he said the dealer should have known about this issue. my car is supposed to only have 68k miles on it. my question is: is this a normal problem at that amount of miles? i am trying to determine how big of a shiester the used car dealership was selling me this car.

If it wasn't from a dealership or carmax I can guarantee they are not going to go out of their way to repair it before they sell it. But the turbo CX7s had plenty of common oil leaks, valve cover gasket is normal for any 9 year old vehicle regardless of mileage. The oil coolers usually leak on those as well

Back