oil catch can

Jessed87

I was thinking of installing an oil catch can to try to save my engine and turbo from any long term damage. I read all of the write ups on the install but wanted some opinions. I was wondering while looking at the catch cans just how important it is to make sure that all hoses and the catch can are installed lower than the connections to the pcv valve and the intake manifold. I would think that even if the catch can was installed above the connections to the intake and pcv, it would still work just as well. On the other hand I was thinking that oil could possibly collect and fill the hose before the catch can and cause blockage if the catch can was higher than the PCV outlet. But since most of the oil and gas is in such small vapor droplets I also thought that it might just travel up the hose without trouble and gather in the catch can. Just looking to see how fussy I need to be, any input would be appreciated.

I had mine sitting in front of the battery box, on one of the bushings that was for the air box. Works well so far. Remember that the oil and blow by is in vapor form. Small droplets may form on the walls of the hose, and drips back down towards the pcv valve when the engine stops, but this is the same for the stock setup as the hose is routed upward from the pcv valve to the intake manifold. Shorter hose, but it is also coated with oil when I replaced it with the OCC. I don't think it will be too much of an issue, as long as the oil doesn't make it to the intake manifold.

I've been looking at this as well. I saved the Cobb PDF on installing a catch can the for the PCV system off this forum. It's called a "catch can" when in fact if you look on most auto parts websites, a catch can search will find you coolant overflow tanks, which is not what you want. Personally I like the looks of Jegs part number 52205 which is an air oil separator. This thing is designed expressly for the purpose! Check it out for yourself and see. It's only $45.00.

make sure you find a catch can that has a baffle inside of it. this will keep vapors from flowing back through.

I'd like to see a howto written up for the layman. Cobb's isn't as specific as I'd hoped.

I had mine sitting in front of the battery box, on one of the bushings that was for the air box. Works well so far. Remember that the oil and blow by is in vapor form. Small droplets may form on the walls of the hose, and drips back down towards the pcv valve when the engine stops, but this is the same for the stock setup as the hose is routed upward from the pcv valve to the intake manifold. Shorter hose, but it is also coated with oil when I replaced it with the OCC. I don't think it will be too much of an issue, as long as the oil doesn't make it to the intake manifold.

Can you take a pic of your set-up?

Thanks for the pic Bombermanx. I like your set-up. You said this location works well? How did you mount it and how do you empty it?

I appreciate the info.

I wonder if this setup would fit around a SRI? Is this the only spot it can be done?

Also where did you get this one/ what brand is it?

Thanks for the pic Bombermanx. I like your set-up. You said this location works well? How did you mount it and how do you empty it?

I appreciate the info.

Oil/fuel/moisture mixture is in the can, and the inside wall of the outlet hose to the manifold is dry. I think the can is working pretty good so far.

As for mounting, there's a handle on the back of the can like a cup, with the drain at the bottom which fits nicely on the rubber bushing for the stock air box. I just strap the handle to the wiring harness.

Oil/fuel/moisture mixture is in the can, and the inside wall of the outlet hose to the manifold is dry. I think the can is working pretty good so far.

As for mounting, there's a handle on the back of the can like a cup, with the drain at the bottom which fits nicely on the rubber bushing for the stock air box. I just strap the handle to the wiring harness.

so you have to unstrap it to drain?

so you have to unstrap it to drain?

It's just held on by zap strap tying the handle to the wire bundle, and the drain for the can slips nicely into the air box bushing holding the can in place. Cut that strap off, and the hoses are long enough that I can just lift the can up and drain. Put a new strap on it and it's good to go again. <5 min job.

Hey sorry for not being back for a while. Thank you for all of the replies, This will really help with my install. I bought the basic Greddy catch can with the 15mm fittings. I think I will try a similar install location soon. Only problem is the vacuum hose they gave me in the box they kinked to fit in the box so its useless now as it flexes easily at the kink points, and I do not believe it will hold up to a vacuum anymore. Anyone have a good place to get vacuum hose? I have heard advance auto parts or auto zone? I really like the look of the clear hose with braided fibers through it. seems sturdy and is rated for vacuum.

I'm not sure they give you enough of the clear stuff anyway do they? Advance auto parts or Autozone would definitely have some basic black vacuum hose though.

Back