Offset question

i'm gonna say no. i believe a +42 on a 7" wide wheel is pushing it. i'd try to go for at least +45 or if you can, +48 is golden. all this depends on tire size, also.

if you think about it though, w/ me running 215/45, thats 96.75mm of tire, to your 86mm of tire on a 215/40. my guess is your drop will put you near me, if not a little higher. add on the extra inch of wheel (25.4mm) and you're at right around 110. assuming you're higher than my car sits, you might be okay. i'm running 38 offset and this is how my car looks on 17x7 215/45/17s w/ a 38 offset. its close but i dont rub

121-2142_IMG.JPG

the 2nd combo shoudl work... what width are the wheels tho? that makes a diff too... are they 7.5? anyway, stock offset on the p5 is +50mm so i think you'd be fine. i'd take a look @ the treadwear rating on those 205/35/18 tires.. you might go through them quicker than you'd hope

and btw, i took a look @ your cardomain page for some pics... seems like you have a little bit of room to play w/. you'd be safe for sure w/ 17's, but if you need that extra inch it's gonna be close.

I think it is 18X7.5
205/35/18 tires and 42mm offset.
I worried if I should get these rims.
It would fit in rear but I'm not sure if i would fit in front cuz it is already too low and threre is not much wheel gap left.

you'd have problems w/ the rear too if you have a large passenger load too... a friend of mine is running azeni sports on 15" wheels, and w/ a couple people in his backseat he has some rubbing issues. i think it might be risky w/ 18's... see if you can find a friend and try his on, otherwise, if it were me, i'd stick w/ 17's.

also, if they're 7.5, you've got an extra 1/4 inch sticking out, which is like... if im correct, about 6mm more, so it'd be like running a 36 offset on a 7" wheel. you might run into issues w/ that.

To answer your question it will not work, even with the smallest size tire you can buy for that wheel. Even at 7" wide it will have too much front spacing with any tire you choose. You will need to modify your fenders. The rest of this post is to explain my reasoning and to repeat some good steps to follow when "attempting" to do your own calculations.

Ok. Well I do commend everyone's efforts here there are a few things I must clarify and are stated in the recipe.

For one, we just can't compare a P5 frontspacing to a sedan's, there is a difference.

Secondly, if the offset value is going to benefit you in any way you must indicate the width of the respective wheel. Otherwise it will not help.

In my experience, most 18" wheels are 7.5" wide. According to the recipe you will need a +48 offset minimum. Now this recommendation is based on the MOST COMMON SMALLEST tire for 18" which is 215/35/18. Now I have seen a new tire release that is a 205/40/18. While skinnier it is still taller.

Thirdly, when looking into wheel fitments you must always take into consideration the ACTUAL SECTION WIDTH of your particular tire. You can find this by looking at manufacturer's specs. They will list what width wheel this TIRE SECTION width was based on.

In short here you go:

1. Sedans have more room than P5's.
2. Offset, NEED TO KNOW WIDTH of wheel.
3. Remember that different tires that say the same width are not the same width. You can double check by looking at manufacturer's specs.
4. ALWAYS REFER TO THE RECIPE. READ IT SLOW and it will ALWAYS SAVE YOU. hehe.

Sorry for the caps, just thought it would be easier to catch the eye if you skim thru or refer back. I am so willing to help find wheels for you guys, but unfortunately it's a ROYAL PITA for the P5. There are very few wheels available for our cars and most are not of my standards.

Best of luck,

Rishie

jayka said:
ok i'll stick with 17s. Thanks for your advice man.
no problem man... you'd be okay running 18's, but it just depends on the offset you're looking @. if you stay close to stock (50mm) you should be good, but anything drastically lower will cause problems probably. but dont take just my advice... ask others two... for all i know i could be wrong, but mathematically it seems to add up.

ARD MP5 said:
To answer your question it will not work, even with the smallest size tire you can buy for that wheel. Even at 7" wide it will have too much front spacing with any tire you choose. You will need to modify your fenders. The rest of this post is to explain my reasoning and to repeat some good steps to follow when "attempting" to do your own calculations.

Ok. Well I do commend everyone's efforts here there are a few things I must clarify and are stated in the recipe.

For one, we just can't compare a P5 frontspacing to a sedan's, there is a difference.

Secondly, if the offset value is going to benefit you in any way you must indicate the width of the respective wheel. Otherwise it will not help.

In my experience, most 18" wheels are 7.5" wide. According to the recipe you will need a +48 offset minimum. Now this recommendation is based on the MOST COMMON SMALLEST tire for 18" which is 215/35/18. Now I have seen a new tire release that is a 205/40/18. While skinnier it is still taller.

Thirdly, when looking into wheel fitments you must always take into consideration the ACTUAL SECTION WIDTH of your particular tire. You can find this by looking at manufacturer's specs. They will list what width wheel this TIRE SECTION width was based on.

In short here you go:

1. Sedans have more room than P5's.
2. Offset, NEED TO KNOW WIDTH of wheel.
3. Remember that different tires that say the same width are not the same width. You can double check by looking at manufacturer's specs.
4. ALWAYS REFER TO THE RECIPE. READ IT SLOW and it will ALWAYS SAVE YOU. hehe.

Sorry for the caps, just thought it would be easier to catch the eye if you skim thru or refer back. I am so willing to help find wheels for you guys, but unfortunately it's a ROYAL PITA for the P5. There are very few wheels available for our cars and most are not of my standards.

Best of luck,

Rishie
yeah, he said it best... when you start getting into bigger wheels, they get wider... and the width messes w/ the offset, because a 40 offset on a 7" wheel will stick out less than a 40 offset on a 7.5" wheel, simply because its measured from the center of the wheel. like he said, stick right around stock and you should be okay w/ 18's, otherwise, you might want to consider a different size.

Back