Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

Still under warranty? I would take it in. The new PCV fix is to prevent turbo seals from blowing, not to fix already blown seals from leaking still. Sucks but might need to do it.

Yeah, but i'd have to change out my DP for the OEM parts... not looking forward to that... Think I'm gonna wait to see what the fix is, and then see what I'm gonna do...

Here's a question for people in the know.... Back in the winter, the dealer overfilled my oil by a whole quart, during an oil change. It, unfortunately, took me a month to realise the problem and I had the dealer change the oil again. Now, I have recently joined the smoking club (the past month, from what I can tell). Any chance the oil overfill could have hurried me along with my problem, or is it just coincidence? My 3 is a 2008.5 and supposedly shouldn't be having these problems ;( Thanks.

p.s. minor mods (BPV, intake, TMIC)I

wow, I would say that would be a MAJOR contributing factor.

Went to the dealer today and had the 5W 40 put in. Hopefully it cures the smoking turbo for the time being.

Food For Thought!!!!!!!!

I see everyone has their panties up in a bunch over oil changes etc.

The one thing you all have missed is the fact that this is part of the Federal smog system.

By Federal law, the manufacturer of the vehicle is responsible to fix or repair and defective part for up to ten years! This has been the law since the mid sixties. With a poor drain back system your car is polluting the air. I would suggest that if you run into any problems that you kindly remind your dealer that Mazda is responsible under federal law. If not have your car smog tested and return with the results.

Oil changes or not!
It is defective by design....the smoking/polluting is proof.

More than likely Mazda NA will do the right thing and address this issue in a timely and professional manner.

I see everyone has their panties up in a bunch over oil changes etc.

The one thing you all have missed is the fact that this is part of the Federal smog system.

By Federal law, the manufacturer of the vehicle is responsible to fix or repair and defective part for up to ten years! This has been the law since the mid sixties. With a poor drain back system your car is polluting the air. I would suggest that if you run into any problems that you kindly remind your dealer that Mazda is responsible under federal law. If not have your car smog tested and return with the results.

Oil changes or not!
It is defective by design....the smoking/polluting is proof.

More than likely Mazda NA will do the right thing and address this issue in a timely and professional manner.

not quite....there are certain parts of the system that have to be warrantied up 8years/80,000miles and other for 2 years/24,000 miles. Cars titled in states that adhere to the California emissions standards have more parts that are covered for 8/80k.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

not quite....there are certain parts of the system that have to be warrantied up 8years/80,000miles and other for 2 years/24,000 miles. Cars titled in states that adhere to the California emissions standards have more parts that are covered for 8/80k.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt

Ok, I get the time line of the warrantied parts.

So your implying that a faulty PVC valve is not part of the smog system, along with a poorly designed drain back system that causes excessive hydrocarbons to be emmited throught the exhaust pipe at prolonged idle?

Or have I misunderstood your post....

Ok, I get the time line of the warrantied parts.

So your implying that a faulty PVC valve is not part of the smog system, along with a poorly designed drain back system that causes excessive hydrocarbons to be emmited throught the exhaust pipe at prolonged idle?

Or have I misunderstood your post....

According to Mazda and the epa...yes As per the epa site that I linked..
There are three specified major emission control components,
covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995
and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.

* The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).
* The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
</pre>

</pre>

Here is my MS3 2008.5 at 10102km

nice no? if il let it go, ill lose my car in the smoke.

after 2min of Idle.
100_0555.jpg

after 2min 30sec of Idle.
100_0559.jpg

Last edited:
took mine to the dealer and the 5w40 oil swap worked just waiting on said new part

They going to call you when it comes in? Let us know when you get that call so the rest of us could possibly take advantage of the fix as well.

They going to call you when it comes in? Let us know when you get that call so the rest of us could possibly take advantage of the fix as well.

I have to keep calling them to see if the part has arrived but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I will gladly pass the word along when the part shows up!

Back