Official 'Smoking Turbo' response from Mazda

That's what I was afraid of. I keep the receipts and all, but I can see on Mazda's part how that can't be viable proof.

Like I said, I really think you can argue against that. If you have a quality dealer representing you to Mazda North America, I don't think they would let that stand in the way.

A lot of people think of the dealer as being in the best interest of Mazda. In fact, if you work them right, they can work in your best interest. It pays to get the dealership in your corner.

So looks like Mazda is saying it should not be a problem for 09's and late 08's. Hope so, since I have a 09.
I wouldn't say that's true. A local member I know had either an 08' or 08.5' and his was smoking. He had a turboback and put the stock downpipe back on and they still wouldn't replace it even with just a catback on the car. So when he put the stock exhaust on, Mazda called up headquarters and finally fixed it.

I wouldn't say that's true. A local member I know had either an 08' or 08.5' and his was smoking. He had a turboback and put the stock downpipe back on and they still wouldn't replace it even with just a catback on the car. So when he put the stock exhaust on, Mazda called up headquarters and finally fixed it.

My car hasn't given me trouble, but even if it's an 8.5, it does fall under the range specified by the bulletin(it was manufactured in apr 08). I hope there's no problems, tough since I was planning on taking my car next week for it's service, I think I might ask if they can hook me up with 5-40w just to be on the safe side.

My car hasn't given me trouble, but even if it's an 8.5, it does fall under the range specified by the bulletin(it was manufactured in apr 08). I hope there's no problems, tough since I was planning on taking my car next week for it's service, I think I might ask if they can hook me up with 5-40w just to be on the safe side.

It looks like you are actually in the clear. The cutoff is February 2008 for manufacturing date:

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

Last edited:
So would an oil catch can help solve the problem without replacing the PCV valve?

No, the PCV system is inadequate (so says Mazda) to effectively vent pressure out of the crankcase. When crankcase pressure is too high the turbo's oil return line can't drain oil back into crankcase at the rate it should. As more oil enters the turbo, excess oil pressure inside the turbo occurs and a small amount of oil will leak past the seals and get burned off in the exhaust. The severity of oil leakage will depend on the condition of the turbo seals. That is probably why Mazda will then replace the turbo if the 5W-40 oil change "repair method" does not remedy the smoking at idle condition.

My guess is that it takes time, and wear and tear to weaken the seals to the point of leaking oil into the exhaust if the oil can't drain out of the turbo at the proper rate.

BTW, you will know for sure that it is happening to your car because when mine smokes at idle there is a very strong smell of burning oil, and the smoke has a blue hue to it. As well the oil level will drop over time. If you've seen the movie Uncle Buck you'll know what I mean. (drive2)

It looks like you are actually in the clear. The cutoff is February 2008 for manufacturing date:

Applicable Model(s) VINS

CX-7 JM3ER ****8* 209008 Produced before 2/15/08
MAZDASPEED6 ALL ALL
MAZDASPEED3 JM1BK ****8* 880368 Produced before 2/6/08

You're right......date format fail (over here its dd/mm/yyyy). Guess that's what I get for being desperate to leave the office.

So what exactly was changed after the 2/08 build date? Was it the turbo assembly (I remember reading something about a couple of turbo revisions), or did they actually do something with the PCV valve in the newer builds?

Crankcase valve to me would fall under powertrain. It's not like a loose window switch or anything.

Nope

internally lubricated part

course with all that oil vapor................, and it does have a "moving" part

So what exactly was changed after the 2/08 build date? Was it the turbo assembly (I remember reading something about a couple of turbo revisions), or did they actually do something with the PCV valve in the newer builds?

My guess would a slightly revised turbo, like maybe beefier seals. There would be two part numbers (one for 07-08, and one for 08.5-09) for PCV valves if it was revised I would assume.

My guess would a slightly revised turbo, like maybe beefier seals. There would be two part numbers (one for 07-08, and one for 08.5-09) for PCV valves if it was revised I would assume.

I wonder if it would be wise to update the PCV valve on the new builds too. A better turbo might have masked the PCV valve problem, but the underlying issue might still exist.

That's what I was afraid of. I keep the receipts and all, but I can see on Mazda's part how that can't be viable proof.

When I bought mine the salesman and manager told me if I change my own oil to keep the receipts of the oil and filter purchases as records, so maybe it just depends on the dealer?

When I bought mine the salesman and manager told me if I change my own oil to keep the receipts of the oil and filter purchases as records, so maybe it just depends on the dealer?
Somewhat -- 'til they deny they said that.

So, if earlier cars with the earlier turbo part # don't develop a smoking problem (like my '07), what could be the reason (aside from luck)?

Here's a question for people in the know.... Back in the winter, the dealer overfilled my oil by a whole quart, during an oil change. It, unfortunately, took me a month to realise the problem and I had the dealer change the oil again. Now, I have recently joined the smoking club (the past month, from what I can tell). Any chance the oil overfill could have hurried me along with my problem, or is it just coincidence? My 3 is a 2008.5 and supposedly shouldn't be having these problems ;( Thanks.

p.s. minor mods (BPV, intake, TMIC)I

Back