Official 2011 Mazda5 Thread

There is not much I'd change on our 5( the stock horn..oops, done!) except for wanting the TDI engine. Long shot, but we can hope. I'd trade ours in a heartbeat for a TDI version.

Also, maybe some better quality plastics, the interior pieces seem really easy to scratch WITHOUT hard use. I second the USB port too and maybe a trip computer. Some more sound dampening would be nice (or an active noise cancellation system like Honda has on the Accord Crosstour)

Besides the TDI, the rest of these are ideas/suggestions. We still would have bought our 5 no matter what.

I can think of one minor 'incovenience' that will be a bonus if resolved.

When passengers coming out of the 3rd row forget to
return the 2nd row seat to upright position... you
will end up driving around with a folded 2nd row seat that
is sliding back and forth.

Only way to do it is to stop, reach out to the headrest and try
to push and throw it rear-ward upright. Then the seat
would click and lock in place.

I'd agree with a previous poster that any upgrade to the Mazda5 will probably come to Asia or Europe first and then slowly migrate over to North America.

Mazda sells so few of these vehicles in N. America it just makes more sense to do it in Europe/Asia where it is more popular. With less than 20K sold in the US in 2009, it's probably not high on their list. That also might explain why there aren't really any direct competitors. After the last 2 years, most car companies are going very conservative in their new models. They won't release a new model unless they are almost certain it will sell.

Last edited:
x10dude,

I guess you are right... If there would be any new release of a remodeled Mz-5, I guess it would occur in Europe/Asia before the US... As a matter of fact, they had the 5 longuer than we did..

I would really liked an improved Mz-5 for 2011, but I guess my hopes are too high!

Who knows, I see Japan first before anyone of course, but for the rest the last major 2008 refresh showed up in Japan, then US and Canada and at the very end in the rest of Asia and Europe.

Ford, Chevy and GMC are launching the C-Max, Orlando and Granite soon so they might need to update the Mazda5 model sooner rather than later to stand a chance (along with the Mazda2). Love my cars but they are aging quickly compared to the rest of the Mazda line-up (dunno)

I know not on topic MUCH.. (whistle)

I wish the M5/Premacy were rear wheel drive now. Rain over here, sucks arse, and I break tread at each stop light, and Im not even trying all the time seems, I start in 2nd gear just to avoid it, that and it's against the law in Japan to burn out, spin tires, break tread, etc. etc. etc.(pissed)

Peace!(rei)

i just hope they don't overdo it like they did on the 3. That new 3 body design has to be killing sales.

I wish the M5/Premacy were rear wheel drive now. Rain over here, sucks arse, and I break tread at each stop light, and Im not even trying all the time seems, I start in 2nd gear just to avoid it, that and it's against the law in Japan to burn out, spin tires, break tread, etc. etc. etc.(pissed)

Peace!(rei)
maybe you need to learn how to control your vehicle, and get some better tires.
I've only slipped in the rain slightly, and only when stopped on an uphill grade. otherwise, no issues.
'unsafe starts' are illegal in the US also.

Peace!(rei)

If you had DSC(ESP) like we have here in Europe, you wouldnt have that problem.
Because it also include antispin, very practical right now when the roads is filled with snow and ice.
And if you want wheelspin just turn it off.

If you had DSC(ESP) like we have here in Europe, you wouldnt have that problem.
Because it also include antispin, very practical right now when the roads is filled with snow and ice.
And if you want wheelspin just turn it off.

Lucky :dodgy:

Peace!(rei)

Thats good to hear. I've seen way fewer new 3's around than the first round. May have something to do with a crappy mazda dealer in town more than the car.

I love the look of the new 3 and am anxiously awaiting the 2. I do think the clean, understated look of the current 5 fits its market space better though.

I'd buy a new Mazda 5 diesel in a heart beat! I currently have a 2006 with a 4 speed automatic, which is a real dog. Also if they moved it a little more up market and increased space in the third row by a tad, it would be a definite deal maker for me.

I view the current 5 as a cheap, but very versatile appliance. Unlike say when I drive my VW, I don't get much pleasure driving it, but with two infants and the occasional visit from the grand parents, it has served me well. Because it had a cheap, plasticky interior it did not bother me if the kids threw up in it, or stomped over its interior. 5 years on, the throwing up has for the most part ceased :) and I would like to move up to something a bit better.

After reading a lot of auto news... I will buy another Mazda5 again if:

1. Manuel transmission is avalible for Touring trim.
2. Ecoboost English is avalible. (Yes, ford Ecoboost not Mazdaspeed DISI. Both are direct-injection turbocharged engine, but as MRZ and Duratec... there are different between them. If "FORD TO EQUIP HALF A MILLION VEHICLES WITH ECOBOOST ENGINE TECHNOLOGY ". I will perfer ecoboost... just thinking about the aftermarket update that it might have in the next few year, it turn me on already... lol)

If not, Ford C-Max will be on the top of my list...

I'd buy a new Mazda 5 diesel in a heart beat! I currently have a 2006 with a 4 speed automatic, which is a real dog.
:confused:

Why? It would cost more than a gas/petrol engined version; weigh more; diesel typically costs more and although the greater torque is good I don't think it would accelerate better. To me a diesel has all the same economic arguments against it as a hybrid with regards to actually saving money.

Also if they moved it a little more up market and increased space in the third row by a tad, it would be a definite deal maker for me.

Why? At that point there wouldn't be much of a price differential from a regular full size "mini"van. With current depressed pricing for Chrysler minivans there not enough of a price differential now.

I view the current 5 as a cheap, but very versatile appliance. Unlike say when I drive my VW, I don't get much pleasure driving it, but with two infants and the occasional visit from the grand parents, it has served me well. Because it had a cheap, plasticky interior it did not bother me if the kids threw up in it, or stomped over its interior. 5 years on, the throwing up has for the most part ceased :) and I would like to move up to something a bit better.

It's a van, name one van that's fun to drive. P.S. get rid of the stock Toyos and I think you'll find the Mazda5 to be a pretty fun car in the twisties; it will never win at the dragstrip.

My wife has always hated the Mazda5; She hates the minivan look. I'm the practical one but I indulged her recently and took a look at a 2006 Audi A3 and was disappointed in the interiors cheap hard plastic that looked similar to the Mazda5's. If that's what a premium VW brand can get away with I'll pass.

It would need to be a 6-gear transmission, the 5-gear revs too high at highway speeds.

what make you think its TOO high? my protege revs to 3500-4000rpm at 75-ish mph, and i still get 30+mpg, and i have 165000 miles on the engine with no problems.

My diesel 6 speed MT runs 2250 Rpm by 130 Km/h i 6th.
And i have an average consumption of 53 mpg, if i drive 90 ill get about 64mpg.
The diesel 143PS makes 1-100km/h 11,0 seconds and runs 196 km/h
And with the new 2,2 180 PS it will be faster.(bolt)
Jens

Back