Odd Sound from Trans

Mazdarick

:
2007 Mazda3 S 5-door
Hi, all. Just discovered this site, and this is my first post. It feels familiar, though because it uses the same software and look as my custom framing discussion site.

I recently got my first Mazda- a 2007 Mazda3 S 5-door. It has about 16,850 miles on it. Great car- fun to drive. Previous car was a 1995 Integra hatchback.
Here's my question:
This car has the shiftable 5-speed automatic, which I generally drive in auto. I'm noticing a metallic "thunk" sound which I can feel thru the gas pedal when it's in 2nd gear and thinking about shifting to 3rd. This is intermittent, but seems to happen most often when first starting out after the car has been parked for a while or overnight, or during slower "non-jackrabbit" starts.

Anyone have this issue or know what it might be?

Thanks!
:cool: Mazdarick

mmm not really sure rick.. i would think valvebodies or maybe some sort of fluid issue i don't nor will i pretend to know a whole lot about an auto tranny... some one else on here might have a better idea... do you have a warranty? i would deffinatly get it checked out that way if possible.

Also check the passenger side motor mount. Its a common problem, I believe there is a TSB for it. If the mount has a crack or the fluid has leaked out it will cause the motor to move excessively causing a similar noise.

that sounds pretty reasonable and a lot cheaper then digging into an auto tranny.. i would deffinatly check that mount (hell all mounts) to be sure.

Now that I'm paying more attention, it seems that this sound happens the first time it is in 2nd before shifting to 3rd after the car has been parked and is restarted. It really doesn't seem to happen after that. I did check the transaxle fluid level and it seems fine.
(shrug) Rick

I had this on my MS3. The first time around they re-torqued the motor mount (recall work had already been done). I was with the tech when he test drove and could point out the clunk to him. The shift mechanism was vague during this phase.

After about 3000 miles I started getting the same sound again. A distinct clunk (as if something is getting back into place) when shifting to 2nd after the car has been parked for a while. This clunk also used to be heard when the steering was extended all the way to left and straightened again (like when you make a steep left turn). (This is different from the clunk from the front struts).

Unfortunately this time the tech drove it alone (the service adviser insisted I leave the car there since he was short on manpower and couldn't guarantee when they would get to it) and was marked as "unable to duplicate". From the service invoice they have "TIGHTENED STEERING RACK BOLTS, ALL ENGE CRADLE, AND SUSPENSION CHASSIS BOLTS" . I don't know what ENGE CRADLE means. But I didn't hear any clunks on my drive back. I am keeping my fingers crossed. The shifts are also very precise now and the car feels tight - like new.

I had a similar issue on my old '05 except it happened when the car was shifting from 1st to 2nd.
The dealer reprogrammed something (sorry, I don't remember exactly what they did - it was a long time ago) and then I didn't have any more troubles...

This is very helpful. I've been hearing the same sound on my 2008 Mazda3. I've taken it in to the dealer several times. This last time they claimed it was a completely normal sound from the ABS setting. Good grief. I really doubt that Mazda would purposely design a car to make that kind of noise.

I'm taking it back and will tell them to "TIGHTENED STEERING RACK BOLTS, ALL ENGE CRADLE, AND SUSPENSION CHASSIS BOLTS"

I hope it helps.

Thanks again.

Back