odd leak from passenger side wheel well

jjc155

My wife has a 2012 Mazda 5, auto trans.

Today I noticed a leak spot on the drive and when she got home I checked under the hood and could not find any obvious leak. While checking under passenger side I noticed that there was a thicker, oil type fluid that was leaking out of the rear/bottom of the passenger from wheel well (coming from the bottom rear of the plastic wheel well liner and the rocker panel). The fluid had also been slung up and around the rest of the pass side wheel well.

I checked the back of the wheel, inner wheel well area under the hood, drive shaft etc and found no obvious signs of leak. Veh makes no odd noises and there are no dash lights on. All fluid levels appear to be within normal range.

The fluid is def petroleum based and is a clearish in color. Smells almost more like grease or gear oil.

Another thing I noticed that may be a coincidence or not but the pass front tire is alot more worn than I remember from about a month ago. The smell/consistence of the fluid and the tire wear makes me think possibly a bad wheel bearing, but there is not the usual noise/vibration.

Veh is going to the dealer on Monday and its under 36k miles so should be covered under warranty just curious if anyone else has had this, what it may be etc.

Thanks
J-

Back