O.k What just at 3200 miles on my AWD 2014 GT ?

neelkc12

:
Madza cx5, GT AWD 2014
Whatever happened was GREAT.

I am just curious

I never achieved the fantastic mileage figures other folks in the forum get. While I always drove with an egg under my feet , I never could better than 23.8 overall.( As per the dash meter). I bought CX-5 after a lot of research and spent at least 7 grueling days fighting with the area dealers over pricing. While I got the car at the right price, right color and enough the awesome ride , very frankly I was very depressed over the MPG ( Who cares about the stupid Bose audio!) and hoped that all would be well.

Comes yesterday morning.. i had to go out on a 220 miles round trip of mixed driving, starting at full tank( gas from my regular station). I could not believe the MPG display - 32.1 average . Check the mileage - Just crossed 3200 miles. End of the day , I went to the gas station . Filled up and verified - mileage/gallon . Yep just 32 MPG. YEssssssss.

I am happy now, Thanks for listening.(yippy)

ps.- Both manual and the dealer said that for CX-5 there is no break in period.

Good for you! I have the 2013, GT AWD, 2.0 liter and consistently get 31-32 mpg during my commute which is mostly highway. My best was 34.4 mpg on a 150 mile trip. Congrats!

Longer trips usually get better millage, even if they are mixed driving. I've noticed that there is a huge difference in gas consumption between when the engine is cold (blue light on) and when it gets hot (blue light off). My commute is mostly highway, but somwhat short (about 8 miles). Since temperature have cooled, the blue light is now on half of the way (it would turn off abter a few blocks this summer). My milleage has plummeted...

So maybe remote engine start is a good idea? Get that blue light out and get that engine warm... Seems to easy to believe the engine warmth affects gas mileage. I've had my 2013 GT AWD for 31k now. I drive mostly suburban miles - drive a few miles at 50 mph, hit a stoplight then another few miles at 50 mph, then maybe a trip into the city, then some snowy driving, and then some highway trips at 70mph for short distances. I'm easy on the throttle but pass folks now and then... I average about 27mpg. While the gauge says 29mpg the "true" calculation via fuel fill up and actual gallons used the mileage is more like 27mpg. So the digital gauge is off by 1.5 to 2 mpg and this is well documented, not just my discovery... However on my best tanks I have gotten as high as 31mpg, several 30 mpg, and frequent 29 mpg. That has been summertime or Spring/Fall calculations. Winter is never as good. Maybe because of colder vehicle theory, extra ethanol in the gas or road conditions not pristine...

So maybe remote engine start is a good idea?

While the car is idle, you are basically doing 0 mpg. The Skyactive engine also injects more gas at idle during the warm up phase to accelerate warm-up. So I doubt a remote start would do any good.

Told you! Glade to read that you are actually getting what everyone else gets.

If you make mostly short trips, like me, you'll never see anywhere close to the advertised MPG. On the highway on the other hand, I actually got better than posted. Alas, my driving is mostly stop and go city driving. Still the CX5 beats the heck out of my pickup truck!

Yes, fuel efficiency for a crossover compact SUV is excellent. I get 30 mpg when driving at 75-80mph with 2.0L AWD.

On my ex 2008 VW Rabbit I was getting 20.xx Mpg and with the CX at 800 miles I'm getting 23.9 Mpg. I'm happy with this already, but hopefully it will keep increasing. I drive 10 miles one way to work, in LA traffic.

That's great news! I have yet to achieve the potential of this vehicle's MPG ratings on highway drives, as I'm commuting within the city 99% of the time. So far, I'm averaging between 23-24mpgs. But good on ya to get that mpg score!

Not surprising. If my commute was 90% highway and less traffic, I have no doubts that I would break a 35mpg average. That's with a fully loaded AWD GT. Very very easy to get 30+ avg mpg when managing speed, braking, and throttle effort.

Since we're talking about MPG, I assume the number from the manufacture only taking account of the driver, no passenger or cargo?
My wife drive the CX-5 most of the time but most of the time with 2 people so MPG will not be the same as what Mazda claim. I got around 24-25MPG, I guess not too bad with the extra weight of the other person.

Last edited:
Back