Now I know what I've been missing...

:
09 MS3 GT
Hey fellow speed'ers!! Just picked up a 09 MGM GT couple of weekends ago and this thing brings a mouth-tearing grin every time I drive it:D. Fantastic combo of speed and utility.

Went to dealer looking to buy a White one. It looked great from pics, shows off the lines well and nicely contrasts with black trim on the car. But in person, the 'pearl' in White turned me off. It gave a flashy, Lexus/Toyota aura, not what the speed3 is about. MGM didn't have instant attraction of White, but it has grown on me as the best color on the car. Slight blue in midday and shade/indoors, slight green tint in early morning/late afternoon sun.

Of course I should have enjoyed this 2.5 years ago, when I put an order in for a 07 CB. But a week after placing the order, I rolled my CRX that I was driving at the time and needed a car immediately. I made a mistake of test driving a GTI, and walked out with one few days later, thinking it was good compromise with wife's needs of refinement and features.

GTI is a nice car, I chipped it and had coilovers so it was fun to drive. But I realized I prefer cars with more character, ones that 'talks' to the driver. It's sad that almost all modern cars are becoming more and more disconnected, with electric steering and throttle, different implementation of auto trannies, etc.:(

Before the CRX I had a 350Z that I sold due to oil consumption problems, before that SVT Focus, great handling car but powertrain was lacking. Before that I had a 02 WRX that I modded with most bolt-ons and coilovers.

Anyway, I love how everything is deliberate. I can feel the clutch engaging. I can feel the road imperfections. I can hear all the mechanical noises. And that exhaust. Got to be the best sounding stock exhaust on the planet. I find myself revving it at every stop light(lol2). Biggest surprise is that glove box - bigger than trunk in my sister's Miata:eek:.

One concern I've noticed is, does the motor run really rich? I see soot collecting in exhaust tip even after driving up n down the driveway.

The car is close to perfect from the factory and I'm very pleased with it, for now:D. Only thing I might change is reduce 'floatiness' when going over bumps at high speed.

Too bad aftermarket support is not huge for the 3.

Well, hope to hang out here to learn and contribute.

Welcome, if you like feeling connected to the car, wait until you get a rear motor mount for it. I have a TRZ dogbone mount on my car and it's a really nice piece.

Very DIYable, easier than putting in an aftermarket intake. That rear motor mount took me 5 minutes + time to jack it up and put it on jack stands.

you like the ms3 exhaust more than your old 350z? damn i love how those nissans sound, im jealous of my pops new g37

and this car is rich on purpose. some will say that most turbo cars are anyway, while others will say that mazda did it on purpose to prevent preignition or detonation from leaning out. don't worry about the soot, it's pretty good at only collecting at the tip of the exhaust, your bumper won't end up looking like a riced out honda crx bumper

your bumper won't end up looking like a riced out honda crx bumper

mine did for a while, but with clay bar it came right off.

OP, congrats on the new purchase. I went to the dealer to look at TR but all they had was CWP and it grew on me quickly. It's your car so I'm glad you got a color you like!

yes alot of those cars had several mods with no tune. this car is very fickle and if you mod expect to shell out cash for a tune along the way. As for the car running rich, all of them are like that. On a stock tune my afr's would drop into the 10's and on occasion 9's. this car likes to run pig rich, until you get a tune, then the ideal is 11.5

nice, welcome. It sounds like we have the exact same car hehe.

I would differ on the comment regarding aftermarket support,,,, you can spend hours trying to decide which intake or BPV to purchase, there are so many reputable ones available.

have fun. :]

Welcome. Glad you are enjoying the car. I know that even after a year of ownership, I still get a grin when I drive my car.
Don't be hating on White. :D

I felt the same way about white. When I bought my car they had an 8.5 white and black and an 08 Silver and Red so I bought the Silver but would
be rocking an MGM if they had one on the lot.

I wish i kept my 07 gti , the mazda speed 3 is like the rx7 , motor does not last long,. Search the forum , plenty of people have blown there motor including me

but how many ms3's are represented on forums? and how many ms3's are just driving around the general population whose owners have not joined any forums?

i think there are a lot less blown motors than ppl think. and i think that most can be attributed to owners who have decided to make an attempt at improving something that engineers have spent countless man-hours trying to fine tune.

yep... i said i wasn't going to mod mine... but i'm already thinking shifter upgrades, rear mount and a MS CAI.....

had ours for 6 months now, and we love it. i look forward to our daily go-cart drive into work! i really like my 2-3 times a week trip out through the country roads to mom and dad's! good roads, no cops, plenty of curves!

i wish they still had a sunlight silver... but not for '09. CPW is cool, though, and it keeps up wifeys tradition of white cars (she's owned 5 in a row)

i don't think there is a high percentage of blown engines. i know the turbos are getting replaced on a few... i know a guy in mazda service, and he says that they don't see too many problems with them. the guys who heavily modify one are seeing some issues... i tell you this, you can blow up an engine or transmission in anything.

i couldn't see getting upset if i bolted on a lot of parts, and something happened. i think it crazy to expect mazda to cover engines that are pushed beyond the designed limits.... so these engines can't hold 400hp... big deal. buy something else if you want to make serious power.....

like someone said...if you are thinking of buying a particular car. don't read the forums! doesn't matter the car, they are ALL junk!

Last edited:
+1 on the stock exhaust note. It is such a pleasant droning welcome sound, each time I start the car. This car is crazy fun to drive, and just a pleasure to be in.

Yeah I think blown motors are probably overblown like any other problem on any other car. The oil consumption issue on 350Z that I had are probabaly more common than MS3's.

Did not like the exhaust on 350Z, it's missing the deep V6 growl. Only at 5K+ rpm it's decent. Plus every infiniti with that motor has the same sound.

Nothing against CWP, color is highly personal choice. Only great to look at:D.

I've seen few of blown up threads. I'm assuming most of them were modded?

yeah, and im assuming that these jackasses that blow their ******* motors drive the s*** out of em. Not letting them warm up properly, not cooling down properly, and living in the redline.

yeah, and im assuming that these jackasses that blow their ******* motors drive the s*** out of em. Not letting them warm up properly, not cooling down properly, and living in the redline.

i think it's safe to assume that no one will really know what was going on at the time the motor blew on some of these ppl's cars, no matter what they say or how they try to explain themselves.

but it seems like everytime something is posted about a blown motor on here the user is always justifying how they were driving "normally" and it just gave out and threw a rod or whatever.

"i was just driving normally and shifting into 5th gear when all of a sudded 'boom!'"

whatever the case, i don't think ppl should stress over this so much because of such a small percentage of the overall amount of mazdaspeeds this is happening to

it's like thinking that everytime you go to philadelphia you're gonna get killed, just because of the news you hear on tv

Back