Not building boost, car is sluggish!!!

zdrpewter01

:
2008 mazdaspeed 3 gt
I bought an 08 mazdaspeed 3 grand touring and the issue it is having is it will start and idle fine but it has no power at all. If it is sitting there and you rev it it will raise the vacuum but as said will not build any psi. The motor takes forever to rev also. If I try to drive it it will die with any throttle given. The exhaust smells rich too. Any ideas are welcome just somewhere to start would be nice. I appreciate any help! I got the AP and fixed some issues I found after going over the car. Tightened all fittings, checked the vacuum lines, Cleaned out EGR/EGR tube/throttle body, changed rear 02 (wires were burnt from dangling), new plugs, and fixed a few stripped threads from previous owner. Only code is a U2064. Car is still doing the same thing. I took a video of me revving the car and how slow it is to rev. Ill get it up here asap.B2B2EE8

Modifications to the car are:
-Injen CAI
-Magnaflow exhaust
-COBB DP
-Street Unit BPV

*EDIT*

Ok so I took the car to mazda and 800$ later half the issue was fixed. The computer fried so I needed a new one, another key, and reflash. The car runs really good up until the point where you think about it having a turbo. It drives smoother and accelerates faster but only builds 2lbs of boost. No vacuum or boost leaks I've tested everything. Any ideas on what else could cause this?? I didn't know if maybe the wastegate being stuck open may do this?

Last edited:
who did you buy the car from? individual or dealer? did you NOT test drive the vehicle before purchase? when did it start to do this, we need more back ground so we can better assist ...it wouldn't just start to do it all of a sudden?

From what your describing it sounds to me like there is no base map, did you check to ensure the MAF was plugged in? or did you try to load a map from the AP and it started to do this?

Last edited:
bought the car from an individual for $8k with 36k miles fully loaded because of this issue. I was looking to spend alot more on a car but willing to fix this for the money. He at one point had a Standback on it but it is off the car. I downloaded the stock ecu map and loaded one of the ones on the AP to the car and it is still doing the same thing. Maf is plugged in and is showing a reading/voltage. Turbo spins too lol I was wondering if it wasn't spooling.

There are a lot of reasons you may be having these problems. Even with your datalogging, this leaves a wide range of possible problems, ranging from mechanical (throttle body actuation would be one of many) to tuning, ECU mapping issues. Just a huge range.

Since you only paid $8k for the car, you are way ahead of the game financially. And it's out of warranty, so why not spend a few bucks by taking it to a dealer, letting them put it on their more advanced diagnostic equipment and finding out what is wrong?

Last edited:
well from the sounds of it, I'm pretty sure they messed up the ECU and that's why it's sold to you for cheap...I would try and see if anyone has a stock ECU untouched for you to "try" I'm sure that will give you a wealth of answers that you need. IF not solve all the running issues. just my take on it.

I may end up taking it to the dealer if I cant get this figured out myself. About the computer thing, I was cleaning the inside of the car while I was thinking and in the rear floor there was an ecu that looked to be from a junkyard or something with a tage on the side hanging off. Definitely could help answer some questions. Only problem is I'm not sure if the computer is for the car.. Is there any way to tell or should I just hook it up? I don't want to ruin anything if its for some reason for a basic 3.

Ok the new ecu didn't work.. Not programmed for the key. I called mazda and they said it will be 300$ and they need my car to program the ecu. Any thoughts?

I would do it, You basically bought a $15-17k car for 8k. I'd drop it off at Mazda and say "Fix it". s*** I'd spend up to $1,000 dollars to fix it for what you payed for it. could even fix it and flip it, make a nice profit.

Back