Noise under dash when turning

highdutycycle

:
2018 Mazda CX-5 Sport
Calling all CX-5 gurus, need some help. My 2018 Sport is making a noise since purchased new couple months ago. Would notice a light clunk noise up high near the center speaker grill when taking a right hand turn entering the freeway on commute to work. At first I thought it was my flashlight in the glove box but eventually ended up pulling everything out of the box, then removed the box, noise still there. I pulled the cabin filter out to have a look but nothing abnormal seen. The noise can be heard at far right side of dash when turning left and just right of center when turning left. I can't hear much of a sliding, just a final thunk as though maybe a heavy coin or small wrench moving side to side? No noise when accelerating or braking. I have a borescope with 9mm camera and 3 ft cable, already pulled the front grill off and checked the HVAC ducts but nothing in there. I had high hopes for the defrost duct, pulled the right side A pillar cover off and checked it all the way back to center but it's clean. Tried pulling the center speaker cover to have a look but seems like it's held in place pretty well and don't want to bust clips. Another theory is pull the cowl cover on the outside but it sure sounds like it's right under the top of dash. I'm avoiding taking it to the dealer and have them pull the dash apart but running out of ideas. It's really annoying now I know it's there..

It sounds like you've had the hood up, so this may not apply, but if you haven't:

When I took delivery of my 17 I noticed a similar noise. When I opened the hood to look, I couldn't find the prop rod. It was loose in the back, banging around the firewall. The last person to open it didn't replace it properly, and it bounced out. Lucky it didn't mess something up.

Lame.

Apologies about location of first post, thanks for moving it over.
Not the prop rod, although I do have a fear of that happening and always make sure it securely clipped in the holder before I shut the hood. I pulled the plastic cowl off but nothing moving around under the firewall. I'm stumped.

Call this one solved. My Mazda3 did not have this feature, but the CX-5 has a overhead sunglasses holder next to dome light. I put a pair of glasses up there and forgot about them. I swear the noise sounds like it's coming from the dash but sure enough it was my glasses sliding back and forth. Lesson learned but at least I didn't take it to the dealer and suffer the humiliation!

Call this one solved. My Mazda3 did not have this feature, but the CX-5 has a overhead sunglasses holder next to dome light. I put a pair of glasses up there and forgot about them. I swear the noise sounds like it's coming from the dash but sure enough it was my glasses sliding back and forth. Lesson learned but at least I didn't take it to the dealer and suffer the humiliation!

This is the second post I've seen about a noise that is eventually tracked to the sunglass holder. Put mine in a case in the center console.

Back