Noise from newly installed turbo

melicha8

Hey just finished with the turbo install. It wasn't fun. I'm working out the bugs and I need help in finding out what this noise is. Watch the vid below. Just so you know what you're listening for it's like a high pitched whirring. I'm dreading the fact that it may be an exhaust leak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1AWun0Upyk

Some pictures
fmu.JPG

drside.JPG

Is the cooling fan running? How does your level of boost look? That doesn't sound like an exhaust leak.

EDIT: Are you referring to the continuous whirring or the chirp when you blip the throttle?

Last edited:
K so I went out and gave it a drive. My dumb ass left a short shank driver and 14mm socket attatched to my exhaust bracket bolt. That fell off while I was driving around the neighborhood. I was able to find it. I drove it in boost and it feels great. The lag because of the reduced timing and spool not even being evident of beginning until 3500rpm makes it a piece of crap until 4k. Then the fun begins. I was pulling from a stop my first time out not ever having been in a turbo'd car before I was like, "this thing suck di...yaaaaah![gobble gobble] second gear! yaaaah!" The vid I posted doesn't reproduce the sound very well it sounds like what an exhaust leak might sounds like but it makes it only when the car is at low rpm and high load. I fear it might be between the manifold and the turbo

melicha8 said:
[gobble gobble]

That's called compressor surge ;). It's not good for the turbo. You should invest in a bypass valve (skip the blow off valve as it'll yeild instaneous rich spikes, simply speaking). I know the GReddy kit doesn't come with one, but it's definatly a good idea to install one.

Congrats on completing the project and enjoy the new power! :)

Yeah it's already in the works. I have a bypass valve already and I'm gonna recirc. I'm thinking about the ETD crossover tube and machining a hole into the u pipe for a nipple. I know what compressor surge is and the sound definitely is not it. It is before boost even comes on and it's for a short period. Oh yeah the lack of low end I'm definitely gonna go for a bipes

Latest posts

Back