No New Mazda2 for the United States

I'd have to say yes to your questions. :)

Check out the racing video below. New version looks much more planted to me now. Wider, longer, shorter. Looks pretty great and nice to see it running with some big boys in the video.

Would you happen to have any midpipes left for the 2? Does it connect with the HotPipes header well? By the way? DO you have a Hot Pipes header? I'm having a Group Buy right now. Only 3 spots left.

Hmm the big question is should I tear another one apart to make a new B-Spec car...

Last edited:
I wonder if I should wait for the new Mazda 2 next year. I would have one more year of payments on it next year if I trade it in.

Months ago I had asked my local Mazda dealer to send me info on the Mazda 2 when it comes available. At the time they told me they expected to have them after summer. I received a text today asking if I was still interested in a new Mazda, and I responded that I'd only be interested in the 2016 Mazda 2 specifically. Here's their response:

The Mazda 2 has been discontinued. Would you consider a Mazda 3?

The EPA news is promising but it wouldn't be the first time we got EPA numbers for a car that wasn't released. I hope I'm wrong.

EDIT:

I then asked if they really meant the new Mazda wasn't being released in the USA, despite the EPA recently releasing numbers for it. Their reply:
"Yes, it is true unfortunately. The new Mazda 2 is not being released here."

Last edited:
Hi,

To add misery to insult, I use the www.mymazda.com site to track my mileage, service performed and all of a sudden my Mazda2 is no longer listed. So I thought that I had to reenter it as an add vehicle but the menu no longer has the model listed and when I keyed in my VIN number, it came back as "error - invalid number". So I wrote to Mazda asking why but so far no response. My message them was pretty much "I know you don't want to offer the model for the time being, but what about the owners who still have the Mazda2?" I still love my Mazda2 by the way!

Hi,

To add misery to insult, I use the www.mymazda.com site to track my mileage, service performed and all of a sudden my Mazda2 is no longer listed. So I thought that I had to reenter it as an add vehicle but the menu no longer has the model listed and when I keyed in my VIN number, it came back as "error - invalid number". So I wrote to Mazda asking why but so far no response. My message them was pretty much "I know you don't want to offer the model for the time being, but what about the owners who still have the Mazda2?" I still love my Mazda2 by the way!

The Fuelly app is a pretty good tool to track fuel mileage, if the site issue never gets resolved.

Mazda isn't listing the 2 on their website anymore, but they aren't listing the CX-3 either, and they ARE releasing that car in the U.S. Like I've said several times before, I'm betting Mazda is going to either release (or tell us they aren't releasing) the car at the last minute. I don't trust the dealer, because they're always flip-flopping because, to some extent, they're also kept in the dark on new models.

The Fuelly app is a pretty good tool to track fuel mileage, if the site issue never gets resolved.

Mazda isn't listing the 2 on their website anymore, but they aren't listing the CX-3 either, and they ARE releasing that car in the U.S. Like I've said several times before, I'm betting Mazda is going to either release (or tell us they aren't releasing) the car at the last minute. I don't trust the dealer, because they're always flip-flopping because, to some extent, they're also kept in the dark on new models.

For the record, just a month ago the dealer told me they expected it after summer. That said, telling me it's discontinued and saying "yes, that means it won't be released in the U.S." sounds fairly official. I hope it isn't.

If the Mazda 2 doesn't come out here, that'll definitely suck. The Scion iA may be the same car underneath, but it looks so grotesque I can't forgive it.

Last edited:
I'll bet that Mazda has some kind of marketing deal with Toyota. The iA goes on sale first, without any mention of the new 2 (nondisclosure agreement). Then after they get some sales numbers on the iA and CX-3 for a few months, they'll decide if/when to offer the 2 in the USA. Oil prices may also influence that decision. Prices here have been rising steadily for the past month. If a gallon of gas gets above $3 this summer, people will start buying economy cars again.

It's hard to rely on dealers. Some say yes, some say no. Some have no idea. It's pretty ridiculous. By the way, the new 2 is already out in Mexico. It's sold everywhere else in the world but North America? It doesn't make sense to me.

I won't believe it till Mazda has a press release.

Would not be surprised at all. That new Scion iA is a freakin' monstrosity.

I'll bet that Mazda has some kind of marketing deal with Toyota. The iA goes on sale first, without any mention of the new 2 (nondisclosure agreement). Then after they get some sales numbers on the iA and CX-3 for a few months, they'll decide if/when to offer the 2 in the USA. Oil prices may also influence that decision. Prices here have been rising steadily for the past month. If a gallon of gas gets above $3 this summer, people will start buying economy cars again.

Was trolling around on the Yaris board, and found a link to this article. The 2016 2 IS coming, just not as a Mazda. http://toyotacars2016.com/2016-toyota-yaris-sedan/

Possibly for future years, but not next year. Mazda gets money from Toyota to build it, but doesn't have to market, support or distribute another vehicle. From a corporate standpoint, it's a win win. For us however, it doesn't help much.

That said, the 2016 Yaris hatch isn't a bad looking car at all. An the Scion iM, not a bad little sedan.

2016-Toyota-Yaris-sedan-front-view-280x176.jpg

I dig the Mazda grin but I can't get used to the bass mouth look.

Man, Toyota is really phoning it in with borrowing the new 2. Not only did they slap it with the ugly stick, they're selling it as two identical cars, one badged a Scion and the other a Toyota. Very creative...

With the dollar doing so well against the loonie, perhaps those of you that still want a Mazda2 (hatch) can buy one in Canada and import it back down to the States? ;)

Latest posts

Back