no more celica's

unwound

i read in this weeks autoweek mag that toyota is gonna discontinue the celicas and the mr2s in the U.S. after the 2005 model year.

i guess toyota is expecting big things from the scion tc!

Damn!MR2 Spyders gone too??I know about the Celicas but cutting off Spyders is big.Oh well,the Spyder is overpriced for the kind of performance you get anyways(or lack of).

Phoenix5 said:
Damn!MR2 Spyders gone too??I know about the Celicas but cutting off Spyders is big.Oh well,the Spyder is overpriced for the kind of performance you get anyways(or lack of).
yeah article said the syders only sold approx 7000 in 2900 and it has dwendelled to around 2900 last year

celicas sold 52000 in 2000 and only 14000 last year
this drop-off is never good for any car.

can someone tell me WTF is scion?

is it another sister company by toyota?
if so, whats the target market? (e.g. KIA, low end)

it is a brand name with vehicles geared towards the 16-24 year olds. cheaper prices and the ability to customize.

it is owned and operated by toyota.

i would put money on the corolla to eventually be rebadged as a scion vehicle in the future too; somewhere between 2007-2009.

???...the Celica is a Toyota...Toyota is going to discontiue the Celica and MR-2 (again) after the end of this model year...which ends in 2005...

The three Scion's...which use Toyota powetrains and engineering, and I guess are owned by Toyota overall (but designed by some artist dude)...are completely different...this thread had nothing to do with Scions, if that is what is confusing you...

the lastest celica was a nightmare in my opinion. It had lousy 6 speed and gearing, it fell out of vvti in every shift even at redline. The motor was nothing special. It seems to me they tried to make an rsx/integra fighter and it just didnt work out.

Notorious said:
the lastest celica was a nightmare in my opinion. It had lousy 6 speed and gearing, it fell out of vvti in every shift even at redline. The motor was nothing special. It seems to me they tried to make an rsx/integra fighter and it just didnt work out.
the GT-S was poised against the Integra GS-R, and it was faster and handled better...The Type R ate it for lunch though...In either case I never cared for the styling...And I agree the gearbox was a marketing gimmick...the long ratios always felt to be more for a V-8 than a peaky 1.8L...

i think i like my mazda better if i do say so myself mazdas just have better cars then toyota

Notorious said:
agreed. toyota wanted a high-reving engine and suzuki designed one for them ( 1.8 in the celica GTS). you' d have to redline it to get the power out of it.

glad my girl went with a base RSX instead, if that tells ya anything.

Bringing out the Supra.......
Cutting the MR2.........
Coralla MAtrix should be cut due to ugliness
At lleast celica can be hooked up nicely....

what is toyota planning ? discontinuing the supra and the celica ? what's that all about ?

Installshield 2 said:
???...the Celica is a Toyota...Toyota is going to discontiue the Celica and MR-2 (again) after the end of this model year...which ends in 2005...

The three Scion's...which use Toyota powetrains and engineering, and I guess are owned by Toyota overall (but designed by some artist dude)...are completely different...this thread had nothing to do with Scions, if that is what is confusing you...

I was pointing out that Celica's shows owner ship. The Scion minibusses don't use a Celica engine, it's smaller.

Im sure they have a big thing that they are going to throw onto the market.

Alot of people I know LOVE their scions. They wouldnt trade them for the world.

OT: unwound I love your avatar...it used to be in my sig :D

I dont' really care anyways, the styling of the celica wasn't really my thing in it's stock form. They do look good look good dressed up though. And the mr2 is just fugly at it's worse. The old mr2 was much better looking.

What I really miss is the Prelude. Now that was a nice car. I just don't understand in this day and age, with imports being as hot as they are, why Honda doesn't bring back a Prelude or something similar.

I agree I love the preludes...but they probably werent selling enough to keep the model on the market. Honda has their own reasons.

MotegiMazdA said:
Im sure they have a big thing that they are going to throw onto the market.

Alot of people I know LOVE their scions. They wouldnt trade them for the world.

OT: unwound I love your avatar...it used to be in my sig :D
thanks. invader zim is the s*** and gir rulz!

the second dvd comes out on aug 31.

Newf said:
I dont' really care anyways, the styling of the celica wasn't really my thing in it's stock form. They do look good look good dressed up though. And the mr2 is just fugly at it's worse. The old mr2 was much better looking.

What I really miss is the Prelude. Now that was a nice car. I just don't understand in this day and age, with imports being as hot as they are, why Honda doesn't bring back a Prelude or something similar.
i heard the reason for cutting the prelude was because of the rsx type-s. the were gonna be competeing with themselves for sales.
1. priced the same
2. 200HP VTEC
3. every young person wants one

Back