New winter tires for MS6

Elicious said:
Nice wheels!

Thank you. A little nicer than I wanted for winter, but I was able to get them dirt cheap.

Door Molding....(bang) Someone took a shopping cart down the side of the car on thanksgiving. Had to have the door sanded, and painted. The peice was supposed to be in, but is now on back order from Mazda untill after christams. (pissed)

Last edited:
Skywlkr said:
Thank you. A little nicer than I wanted for winter, but I go them dirt cheap.

Door Molding....(bang) Someone took a shopping cart down the side of the car on thanksgiving. Had to have the door sanded, and painted. The peice was supposed to be in, but is now on back order from Mazda untill after christams. (pissed)

Ah, bummer. The wheels look good though!

Just fyi... The 17" stock wheels from the Mazda6 GT V6 (2004 & 2005?) don't fit on the Speed6. There is no clearance between the back face of the wheel spoke and the brake caliper because of the difference in the wheel offset and spoke design.

update: I stand corrected: the wheels do fit but it is very tight. see new posting...

Last edited:
ns80 said:
I ordered my WinterSport M3s from http://www.mavistire.com/ProductCart/pc/_default.asp and they are showing them in stock currently. They shipped fast and were around $1 cheaper than Tire Rack after shipping. So far I've driven in one decent snow fall of about 5 inches which turned very slushy after a while and they were great. They are also decent in dry handling however they are a big step down from the stock tires obviously.

Thanks for the information. Well appreciated!

Benhaze said:
Just fyi... The 17" stock wheels from the Mazda6 GT V6 (2004 & 2005?) don't fit on the Speed6. There is no clearance between the back face of the wheel spoke and the brake caliper because of the difference in the wheel offset and spoke design.

Which ones are those? The 5 spoke kind of curvy ones? Because I think those are the ones I have and they fit fine....

rdandy5875 said:
Which ones are those? The 5 spoke kind of curvy ones? Because I think those are the ones I have and they fit fine....

do yours look like this? these are the ones i'm considering

Attachments

• 65de_1_b.JPG
    65de_1_b.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 156
Bluesultan said:

Those are what I have and they fit my car with absolutley no problems. I don't think those are the ones he's referring to.

rdandy5875 said:
Those are what I have and they fit my car with absolutley no problems. I don't think those are the ones he's referring to.

if he's talking about these, he's right, they won't fit...they're 16" wheels (shocked)

Attachments

• fb56_12.JPG
    fb56_12.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 142
Bluesultan said:

Yes they do. I don't know how they can fit on rdandy's car if they are the same wheels. Wish I had taken a picture.

And for Bluesultan, I'm indeed talking about 17" wheels...

Benhaze said:
Yes they do. I don't know how they can fit on rdandy's car if they are the same wheels. Wish I had taken a picture.

And for Bluesultan, I'm indeed talking about 17" wheels...

so you have the same wheels as rdandy but they don't fit on your car and they do on his? :confused:

what other 17" wheels came on the 6's?

update: i ended up getting the 17" wheels shown in my post above. now i just need to get some snow tires :(

Well it was bugging me so I decided to have a second look. The gap between the wheel spoke and the front caliper is so narrow (couple of mm) that is nearly impossible not to hit the caliper when you install the wheel. The wheel must be "kinked" a little on the opposite side of the caliper and then secured with the lug nuts. I wasn't convinced it would work only I could spin one wheel and verify it wasn't hitting the caliper.

Here are a couple of pics. I used a penny to give a reference point.

Attachments

• GT wheel 1.JPG
    GT wheel 1.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 180
  • GT wheel 2.JPG
    GT wheel 2.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 196
so they DO fit, right? i picked up some snow tires on Saturday and i'm hopefully going to have them mounted on the 17" stock 6 wheels and put on my car this afternoon.

Bluesultan said:
so they DO fit, right? i picked up some snow tires on Saturday and i'm hopefully going to have them mounted on the 17" stock 6 wheels and put on my car this afternoon.

Yes. It's tight but you should be ok. What tires did you get?

Benhaze said:
Yes. It's tight but you should be ok. What tires did you get?

i got them put on Monday night and there is like very little clearance but they fit. i got a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin's and they make a world of difference. i can stop without even having the ABS kick in while driving on snow and i can still break the tail end out in snow by getting on the throttle! (drive2)

I bought the stock size Blizzaks and the car is a dream in the snow. I had a Subaru for years and I compare that experience to driving a bread truck after being in the snow with the MS6 and these tires. Just make sure you get the tire pressure right, mine are about wasted after two seasons because they were under inflated and shot the tread on the outside...Doh!

Back