New wheels/tires on your MS3? - Post Here!

jcrystal

Still looking for any information on what aftermarket wheels and tires will work on the MS3 so I can purchase snows.

1. Will a 225/45x18 have enough room on the stock rim?
2. What spec 17"rim will work?
3. Will 17" from Mazda6, MPV, MZ3 work?
4. Any know the offset on the stock wheel?

If you gone ahead on put new rims/tires on, please share what you've learned!

I'm looking for the same information for new rims for snow tires, and I hope to go smaller than 18".

jcrystal said:
Still looking for any information on what aftermarket wheels and tires will work on the MS3 so I can purchase snows.

1. Will a 225/45x18 have enough room on the stock rim?
2. What spec 17"rim will work?
3. Will 17" from Mazda6, MPV, MZ3 work?
4. Any know the offset on the stock wheel?

If you gone ahead on put new rims/tires on, please share what you've learned!

I'm not really positive on either #1 or #4. I would think that 225/45 should fit but you would probably have a small bulge over the side of the rim. As for 17" wheels, the biggest thing would be to check and see if they fit over the brakes, as long as there is enough clearance there, then the 17 inchers should work

Anyone want to go to Tirerack in Indiana?

I believe you are referring to the regular Mazda3....my question is about the Speed3.

Tirerack has informed me the quickest way for them to get the Speed3 into their fitment database would be if someone came by in South Bend, Indiana with a new Speed3 for them to measure. Any takers?

RODSCALIP5 said:
I just got some 17X7 +43 yesterday. I currently have the 3 lowered with the Pro-Kit on stock tires.

jcrystal said:
I believe you are referring to the regular Mazda3....my question is about the Speed3.

Tirerack has informed me the quickest way for them to get the Speed3 into their fitment database would be if someone came by in South Bend, Indiana with a new Speed3 for them to measure. Any takers?

ha thats great, maybe they could fit you with a set of wheels for your trouble? If so, Ill drive mine out as soon as I get it lol

well i doubt I'll get anything out of it, but I sent him an email, so we will see.

(btw, tirerack has a facility in Newark, DE as well, so maybe it could work)

the brakes are from an s40 so i would check what those guys are running and i believe they come stock with 17... ???

I'm wondering about 17's for snow tires as well.... what size tire would be appropriate for a 17" rim on the ms3? My Black MS3 Gt is comming the 2nd week of November.

215-50-17 for winters

That's assuming your summers are 215-45-18 like the MS6

Problem with 17's in the 195-215 range is that there are very few winter tires in that size. You'll find 215-50-17 is the most popular, closest fit. And Dunlop M2/M3, Michelin X Ice, Bridgestone Blizzak's, and Toyo are the easiest to find.

I did find some generic brands that were studdable, but the cost was not much different then the Dunlop Graspic M2's. Hercules, Mastercraft were two that I found.

I'm really hoping for you new MS3 owners sakes that the brakes aren't as big as the MS6 on the front wheels. It would be so much easier to go with 16's.

As for rims - 114.3 x 5 is what you need. There are 17" steel rims. Any decent tire shop shold be able to get them now. Steelies are usually 6.5" wide, don't worry about it.

Mazda 6 17" rims, Mazda 3 Rims, Mazda 5 rims should all fit and lots of people trying to unload their stock ones.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

How sure are you about the fit on those stock Mazda rims? There is serious question whether the Mazda3 17" will clear the brakes, for example....

Newf said:
215-50-17 for winters

That's assuming your summers are 215-45-18 like the MS6

Problem with 17's in the 195-215 range is that there are very few winter tires in that size. You'll find 215-50-17 is the most popular, closest fit. And Dunlop M2/M3, Michelin X Ice, Bridgestone Blizzak's, and Toyo are the easiest to find.

I did find some generic brands that were studdable, but the cost was not much different then the Dunlop Graspic M2's. Hercules, Mastercraft were two that I found.

I'm really hoping for you new MS3 owners sakes that the brakes aren't as big as the MS6 on the front wheels. It would be so much easier to go with 16's.

As for rims - 114.3 x 5 is what you need. There are 17" steel rims. Any decent tire shop shold be able to get them now. Steelies are usually 6.5" wide, don't worry about it.

Mazda 6 17" rims, Mazda 3 Rims, Mazda 5 rims should all fit and lots of people trying to unload their stock ones.

I had others on mazda 6 club tell me it was ok. But, I have not tried the Mazda 3 rim on my ms6. I did try a 16" steelie and it wasn't even close to fitting. The Mazda 6 17" wheel is fine, lots of room.

I had a chance to get a Mazda 3 17" rim for my car. The owner swore it would fit. But shipping was 100.00 + for me so I didn't chance it and got the M6 rims instead. I would honestly try a Mazda 3 rim before putting down money on it. But everything points to it fitting unless the center bore is too small. The Mazdaspeed Protege rims apparantly do not fit for that reason.

you guys need to find out if the brakes on the MS3 are the same as the MS6. I highly doubt it given it's a much smaller car.

Any dealer should be able to try a 17" Mazda 3 rim on your MS3 in no time at all. It's not like they won't have any lying around!

Last edited:
I'm hoping 16's will fit over the bigger brake set up. Like stock p5 wheels!!!

I'm putting these on in the Spring..

DSCF0006.jpg

They are coming off my RX-8 and should fit nicely on my MS3. :)

Hey already have the snow shoes on mine. Put a set of Michelin X-Ice 215/50r 17 . At the Tire shop they had a 16" wheel on it. I just didn't like the look. So i wen twith the 17" 50r to keep the same overall diameter..

Attachments

• Winter Shoes.jpg
    Winter Shoes.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Brrrr3.jpg
    Brrrr3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 244
Back