New to Site. 2016 CX5 at top of my shopping list

If the rails add so much to the looks (obviously do not for me), then why on the official Mazda site is the lead car soul red without rails? (bird) I also think the 19 inch wheels add more to the look than the rails and they are just fine for handling/body roll on twisty roads.

I agree, I think the CX-5 is one of those vehicles that actually look better without them. But like the Ford Escape, I think it looks horrible without them. Just depends on the body style. However, I wouldn't mind actually having them for in the future if I need to store any luggage or anything up there.

I considered getting the roof rails but didn't. I agree that that CX-5 looks better without them. The old Escape and Tribute would look naked without the rails though. My Tribute ES has the roof rails, but in 13 years I actually never made use of them...so I guess I'll never miss them on my CX-5.

I considered getting the roof rails but didn't. I agree that that CX-5 looks better without them. The old Escape and Tribute would look naked without the rails though. My Tribute ES has the roof rails, but in 13 years I actually never made use of them...so I guess I'll never miss them on my CX-5.
I have them, but the only time I use them is for Home Depot trips for plywood or large pieces of trim that I can't fit on the inside.

I have them, but the only time I use them is for Home Depot trips for plywood or large pieces of trim that I can't fit on the inside.

I prefer the cleaner look or a roofline unmolested by protrusions that cause turbulence and add weight to the roof. But I have a pick-up for large sheets of plywood or lumber.

I did use the CX-5 to pack a bunch of sheets of cement board (only comes in 3'x5' sheets), on top of that I had bags of sand, mortar, a tile saw and some power tools and a wet/dry. vac. With the seats folded flat the CX-5 took it all with room to spare and drove like a dream with all the extra weight! I used the pick-up to transport the plywood, tempered glass shower walls/door and washer/dryer. Bathroom remodel with tile shower and radiantly heated tile floor came out awesome!

The $300 black friday tv is nothing compared to a sold car lol. I would have been like gimmiebthe cash so I can get a part ok.

Last edited:
Hello,

My name is Ryan. I am new to the site. I have actually never owned a Mazda in my life (35 years old) lol. So this CX5 will be the first.

I am nearing the end of my lease with my 2013 Ford Fusion SE 1.6T, and am looking for a small suv with good fuel economy for commuting to work and just being an everyday car. I have a 4 year old son, so SUV makes sense on many fronts. But I also like the higher seating level, i find its easier on my back than lower to the ground cars. ... My GF has a 2015 Honda CRV, so i have gotten used to that car highth. In fact i have been using it for my 25 minute (each way) commute to work a decent amount lately because I have to keep my miles down at this point in my lease. .. I enjoy the car, but like the styling of the CX5 more. I have test drove the 16 Grand Touring and everything was smooth driving. I liked the infotainment system also. ... I will probably be getting the touring with the 2.5L.

anway, enough rambling from me. not sure if i even posted this in the right place. lol ... but i am hear to learn more about this car.

Thanks!

I am exactly in the same boat as you. Reasons why I purchased CX-5 are below:

1. My price range was up to $34,000 OTD
2. I do NOT want American cars due to reliability factors
3. I wanted the latest technology like blind-spot, lane departure, advanced safety features, NAV. Why? Since these days, features which are high-end now become standard in 3 to 5 years thus adds to resale value.
4. Needed a SUV or a CUV, period.

With these I set out. Toyota was out (due to lack of #3). Honda CRV with #3 crossed my #1. I was basically left with Subaru, Mazda and Nissan. I didn't like Nissan Rogue based on my friend's car issues he's facing constantly. Subaru was really good, it was almost a toss. But after extensively test driving both I found CX-5 to be SUBSTANTIALLY better in road handling and acceleration. But Subaru Forrester Eyesight was definitely better and also better - off-road capabilities. What came down to: fuel economy. CX-5 is much better. Thus CX-5 : won!! Frankly - there's not a single car which matches up to CX-5 right now based on the conditions above.

What you MIGHT be sacrificing:

1. Mazda's are tough to DIY repairs in comparison to Honda/Toyota. Thus, if you want to keep this long time your mom-pop trusted mechanic may charge you substantially more than a CR-V repair.
2. Mazda's reliability reputation took a severe hit under Ford. The after-effects are still there and you'll find Mazda resale value today is least in comparison to Toyota/Honda/Nissan. Purists here in this forum might disagree - but its a fact. I am looking at the % drop from MSRP with # of years and mileage. Not the actual drop in CAD or USD.

I'd have to hear some examples here as anything I've done so far is easy.

What you MIGHT be sacrificing:

1. Mazda's are tough to DIY repairs in comparison to Honda/Toyota. Thus, if you want to keep this long time your mom-pop trusted mechanic may charge you substantially more than a CR-V repair.

I'd have to hear some examples here as anything I've done so far is easy.
3 mechanics I trust independently told me the same, here in NJ. All said - Toyota: easiest, Honda/Nissan: next and finally: Mazda. I am NOT comparing with American, Korean or European cars. Also, they stated - Mazda's parts are usually the costliest since usually only OEM works.

No, I am not talking of air filter, cabin filters, bulb changes. I am talking of stuff like serpentine belt change, water or alternator change, suspensions re-haul, oxygen sensors replacement, crank sensors, etc., etc. I opened the hood and checked. There's hardly much room, it's tough. I have a Rolla 07. I have changed all of what I write above - myself, so I know how easy it is. As for spark plugs, I am not sure. This is a high compression engine so not sure if it's just taking off the cover and the spark plugs are BAM in front. What I was told is that to reach the plugs there's some amount of disassembly required first.

ditto - the rails really add to the looks, too bad they only come in bleah silver
looking at plasti-dip or powder coating them black in the spring

They look great on a silver car, but I agree there should be color matched options available. Black would look great on soul red.

Back