New to forum trying to decide on 2015 CX-5, Forester, or Outback

The one thing I can say about the Subaru dealers they are aggressive when come to pricing I got three different dealers quoting $2,500 below sticker on the Forester in winter plus throwing in free extended warranties. Mazda dealers seem to give me quotes that have a lot of rebates that may not apply to me.

But in my case I have time by the time I am ready to buy each of the models in this thread will be out or there will enough information available to decide on a vehicle.

Last edited:
I will cross off the 2015 Subaru Outback if this is what it will look like.

1359640762866591938.jpg

2015 Subaru Legacy first official photos emerge, prepare to be disappointed

http://www.worldcarfans.com/114020469714/2015-subaru-legacy-first-official-photos-emerge-prepare

Was going to add the Nissan Rogue but was reading on one of the forums problems people were having with the CVT and leaks in the rear hatch. Actually stop to look at one nice looking interior does look big for a small SUV.

The Forester is rated above average in reliability on Consumer Reports but reading the Forester forum people have been having issues with hard starts, hatch locking and not opening, steering failure, oil consumption, defroster not setting, heating issues where the vehicle takes for ever to warm up (I know this has nothing to do with reliability), delay in cVT, etc. Seems like a lot of issues for a new model that is rated above average.

The wife and I test drove the CX-5 and Forester yesterday since they were my two top picks for replacing our 01 Accord (tranny just died, surprise). I'm a big Subaru fan so I figured we'd look at the CX-5 to amuse my wife and then i'd talk her into the Forester.... . I expected the Forester to blow away the CX-5 in terms of build quality, interior space, ride quality, etc just based on my past experiences with Mazda and Subaru; and the fact that im biased towards Subaru.

We're signing papers for a CX-5 this morning. The Subaru didn't do it for me this go around.

With that said, i can't speak to the AWD performance of the CX-5... I don't think there are many cars that can touch the performance of Subaru's AWD. That was a non-factor for me for this vehicle though since we're getting the FWD version for better fuel economy (and because it lowers the price so we can get the moonroof for the wife).

This. This EXACT same thing happened for me and my wife, except she wanted the Subaru. We drove the '14 Forester, CX-5, CR-V, RAV4, Tiguan and Escape. We quickly settled on a decision between the Forester and the Mazda. I've always been a Subaru person, going back to the 1980's in AK and now in VT. I was perfectly fine with the idea of the Forester. We went back for a re-test of our two favorites about 6 months later. We drove the Forester first since we figured it was what we were going to get. She had been reading about all the great, well deserved press the Forester has had since the release and we thought we had decided.

Then we drove the CX-5 GT.

She drove it out off the lot and literally within 3 minutes she said, "So, we're agreed on the Mazda, right?"
It just drives better. The Forester is a great car. It does everything well. It's not better or worse than the CX-5, but different. We like to drive and the Subaru just has less road feel for my taste. It's too soft.

We bought a '15 CX-5 GT, Soul Red and love it.

Consumer reports (nor anyone else) cannot possibly correctly rate a new model year vehicle as reliable because there is no history for this vehicle to judge. If they base this on older model years, they are making a big mistake.

Subaru recently issued a massive TSB for all 2 & 2.5L 4cyl FB engines from years 2011 through 2014, now found in the Impreza, Forester and Outback, for replacing piston rings. You can read all about this in this thread and this one. Owners out of warranty will have to pay out of their own pocket for the replacement.
Maybe the 2015s will be OK.

Compared to this, the CX-5 is next to trouble free.

Hi :) im new to the forums having come here looking to see what people say about mazdas, while trying to decide on a new car. I was looking at al the usual suspects, thinking i would get a forester.....untilll l i drove the cx5. This is just a class above the rest to drive. I just feel sorry for you not being able get the diesel. Find out when its released there, its worth a wait. As for off road concerns, this is fine on gravel, we don't get snow here, and mud, having done about 80/20 road/of road driving in mine.
Enjoy the journey.

We drove the Forester first since we figured it was what we were going to get. Then we drove the CX-5 GT. It just drives better. We like to drive and the Subaru just has less road feel for my taste. It's too soft. We bought a '15 CX-5 GT, Soul Red and love it.

Almost identical to our experience!! We drove the 2014 Forester (thinking it was "the one" after reading reviews and having owned an '08 OB 2.5 XT). The Subie felt like a Jeep Wrangler: coarse, cumbersome, every bump was transmitted to the passengers, cheap-feeling interior and un-supportive seats, flimsy switch gear, and mediocre audio. It was ... "truck-like," and we couldn't imagine taking a road-trip in it. So disappointing.

A half-hour later, three minutes into our CX-5 test ride, and we knew we were going to buy it. It was a no-brainer for anyone who enjoys driving and appreciates design. Do I yearn for a boxer engine and "symmetrical AWD"? I thought I would, but I don't.

Back