new short shifter

cboe's_mp5

:
Mazda, Mazda 3
i just installed a twm short shifter but it isnt that smoth its kind of hard to put it in to 1 and 2 gear do any of you know what could be wrong.

no the answer to that is not the bushings, the transmission is like that. What you can do to help is use some synthetic gear oil I have royal purple in there and surprisingly it made a difference. You will have to get use to it by trying different techniques of changing the gears like bringing the lever to neutral from first and putting a little preasure and letting it go to second on its own. I don't know man you will just get use to it there is no way to get rid of it. :)

Engine mounts will also help with shifting under hard acceleration.

Redline mt-90 tranny fluid helped quite a bit as well

yay for shifters!! i just got my twm bushings! now i get to match it to the kartboy short shifter! whoo hoo! ill let you all know how that setup is, most ppl here say its gonna be the same. . .we'll see i guess

does it just happen when the car is cold? should get better when the tranny oil gets warm and to running temp!

-R

I noticed my B&M was tough to shift. Then I got the weighted knob, and all is well. I also noticed improvement with Amsoil synthetic fluid too. So I agree with the guys above.

I did notice also that the Kartboy bushings made it even better.

I would look into a tranny fluid swap to synthetic if you are over 30K mile aand have not done so already.

My B&M was hard to shift in the beggining. It just took alot of muscle to get it inot gear, it wasnt rough like sandpaper (i hope thats not what you are talking about haha!)
It smoothed out after a hundred miles or so. And yea, now that i think of it, my shifting technique may have changed, but im not sure cuz it kinda happens naturaly. I plan on getting a weighted knob soonish.

i thought about changing my shifter and knob. if i do it'll only be for cosmetic reasons. if you think you need it to get from gear to gear faster, go for it. if anything they look cool and that's worth it i'd say. but for the money and my personal opinion i'd put something under the hood or anything else just to get a little more HP on the ground the shifter can wait i do just fine.

six_dolla_bill said:
i thought about changing my shifter and knob. if i do it'll only be for cosmetic reasons. if you think you need it to get from gear to gear faster, go for it. if anything they look cool and that's worth it i'd say. but for the money and my personal opinion i'd put something under the hood or anything else just to get a little more HP on the ground the shifter can wait i do just fine.

I can respect that. But the way i look at it. I have to feel comfortable and like the way it drives and feels. That includes the interior. A weighted knob will make for smoother shifts adding to the experience. And my hand has to be happy when it shifts. The stocker is crap IMO. It doesnt look too bad, but i want something different for comfort and feeling. The one int here right now isnt comfy for me.

i just read a post regarding the short shifter and it has brought me to see the light. apparently you don't have to worry about putting your fist into that mega gulp in your cup holder slamming it into 3rd. i'm an aggressive driver so comes aggressive shifting which has caused a few drink holder mishaps. i'm sold

six_dolla_bill said:
i just read a post regarding the short shifter and it has brought me to see the light. apparently you don't have to worry about putting your fist into that mega gulp in your cup holder slamming it into 3rd. i'm an aggressive driver so comes aggressive shifting which has caused a few drink holder mishaps. i'm sold

coool

Thanks for the imput i know there might be other threads out there like this but i really am glad you guys awnswered my question.

another question i hear a raddel when my car hits about 3500 rpms it sounds like the heat sheild but i am unable to look underneath i think it might be hiting my short shifter or even my exuhst pipe.

It'll always be harder to shift with a short shifter that's just physics. Getting a weighted knob helps, but you'll get used to it soon.

zverg said:
It'll always be harder to shift with a short shifter that's just physics. Getting a weighted knob helps, but you'll get used to it soon.

DID YOU TINT YOUR HEAD LIGHTS? (thumb)

i just installed a twm short shifter but it isnt that smoth its kind of hard to put it in to 1 and 2 gear do any of you know what could be wrong.

i just installed my TWM tonight and it is hard to shift too. thats normal??? I got to install my twm bushings tomorrow and my weighted knob is on the way, do you all think that will smoth things out plus a couple hundred miles of driving for it to all settle???

Back