New Protoege5 owner probably looking for some assistance in the near future.

$800 Canadian, that sounds about right. You'd get more money parting out the few good pieces and then selling what's left to a scrap yard or salvage company (Copart I think is in Canada?)

Kenny-u-pull is actually only a 5 min drive away from me. they are pretty popular in the Southern Ontario area and around Quebec

You may very well be OK with your car if the car passes safety (no rust holes through to the inside).

If you just go for a working car that's semi-reliable and forget any former glory it had.

A beater can still be fun and really cheap to operate.

My car has a couple crunched in spots underneath as well,... I just jack it up at a different spot.

If you get side skirts installed below the doors, they will cover up the very worst of the rust.

This was my last vehicle... It was a beater... It was fun !!!

Last edited:
ITS DEAD JIM!
the entire front right suspension needs replacing, struts, rear frame is rotted (screwdriver through all the way rotted) and so so much more
long story short. it can pass safety for 2000 dollars. . .
that being said. Mechanic said i did a good job trying to restore the engine and only really needs a couple easy to replace gaskets. . .

so that is done. going to try to sell for parts. i do wanna get a Mazda so this wont be the last you see of me.

OK,.. So now is when you book your fight to Texas to buy a rust free version of the P5, then have an awesome road trip home.

(you should get your girls uncle to pay for the flight.... he owes ya.)

See the green and white connectors right below the red strut tower bar? Kinda center-passenger side?
engine.jpg

The white one is the solenoid that controls the secondary intake shutter valve. It's also called an EGR vacuum solenoid. The green one is the exact same solenoid, but it controls something else. Same part tho, if you're in the junkyard searching around either one will work. ;)

If you want a new one, they're semi cheap and you can replace it yourself in 5 min with no tools.
http://www.carid.com/dorman/egr-vac...oyJdBobXXLmwh0aTBNcvLgEUvwIq8aBSTwaAlhk8P8HAQ
Lol who told you that was the EGR solenoid? EGR doesn't even use vacuum, that's the VICS solenoid, bud. And they are $100 new at the dealer, only a few bucks used but there is a chance they are bad so grab more than one.

Edit: sorry to hear about the P5 but after one look at the pic of the rockers I knew that thing was done for. PLENTY of rust free proteges down here.

Last edited:
That'd be Google, my local auto parts store and the answer I found after HOURS searching this and plenty other Mazda forums. This ain't my 1st time around, Bud.

Just trying to HELP someone find the parts that...I thought he might need. lol..In case you couldn't make out the name of the part in the 1st link I posted, Let me Google that for you.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=protege+egr+vacuum+solenoid

If you were referring to the universal name, maybe. But saying that its an EGR vacuum solenoid is incorrect as that specific one has nothing to do with the EGR.

oops, sorry, I was editing my post and now it's gone.

Incorrect? Like I mentioned in my 1st post..It's ALSO called an EGR vacuum solenoid. When the guy at the auto parts store tells you that he doesn't have a VICS solenoid for a Mazda Protege, ask for that. It's the same part.
If the links I provided didn't convince you of that, then I guess I'm not getting anywhere.

BTW: As long as we're nitpicking, in 2003 they did away with the flip up cup holders. Those are only 2002. ;) My 2002 P5 had flip up, my 2003.5 MSP does not.

Last edited:
if your engine is good, you could do what i did. try to find a blown engine shell for a couple hundred bucks and swap the engine over. believe me, im not a mechanic, just balsy, able to read instructions and turn a wrench. things COULD have gone bad for me.. but car runs great drives great.. maybe mechanics isn't so hard after all =).

you could fish all the suspension parts you need from the youpull though. all suspension parts, subframe ect removable. but at some point.. you have to decide whats worth it. these cars are getting cheap enough now you can get a fairly clean one for $3000. i both both of mine for just $1000 with various conditions. built the best of two. Paying someone to do the work isnt worth it for sure, but do it yourself isn't so bad. ... even if i had 100 hours into mine.. lol..

if your engine is good, you could do what i did. try to find a blown engine shell for a couple hundred bucks and swap the engine over. believe me, im not a mechanic, just balsy, able to read instructions and turn a wrench. things COULD have gone bad for me.. but car runs great drives great.. maybe mechanics isn't so hard after all =).

you could fish all the suspension parts you need from the youpull though. all suspension parts, subframe ect removable. but at some point.. you have to decide whats worth it. these cars are getting cheap enough now you can get a fairly clean one for $3000. i both both of mine for just $1000 with various conditions. built the best of two. Paying someone to do the work isnt worth it for sure, but do it yourself isn't so bad. ... even if i had 100 hours into mine.. lol..

i was thinking of that. keeping my eye out for a blown mazda. even if i have to pay the mechanic to swap the engine its probably way cheaper than anything else

Make sure your engine isn't burning oil... Check for smoke on startup... Oil rings and/or valve seals may be bad.

I hate to say it guys. but i got a 2000 Honda Accord(sick)
not a spec of rust though. some 300k Km and only 1 owner car.
all leather inside, power everything, heated seats, moon roof, super clean.

i feel like even though i just joined this forum that we made a connection XD either way, here are some photos of the beast, its costing me less than 1000 bucks to buy and it only needs brake pads to safty and etest.
do you guys know of any honda forums? i joined Honda Tech but it seems its too over populated to get any good help and suggestions
80-11076718_10153765845560639_1577054965_n_d070fdc01a36dad1147a2ce5c7fd87af41f0addd.jpg

80-11076075_10153765845190639_1451253162_n_d9749d22684ccdfb9f6ffab01f38c172eae1a989.jpg

80-11139477_10153765845175639_611230885_n_8428b3e86af844504692a9d22b5fd1e3f3216d8b.jpg

80-11125582_10153765845350639_943343778_n_3a96b3ff122f4f9f958c72b54b17ee48b2247778.jpg

80-11117797_10153765845415639_749358119_n_a76ca9be0b69514c65c4ae529cdada8bd11f5a1a.jpg

Last edited:
Back