New P5 Owner with Questions

SouthATX

Hi
I just purchased a well used P5 5-speed with 170K. I did not spend a lot, and the car needs lots of TLC. What should I pay special attention to? The CEL light is on - the PO said he just replaced the O2 sensor and it came back on. Needs new tires. I think it needs a new serpentine belt, too, which he gave me.

I am going to change the oil. Is it a good idea to change all the other fluids at this time as well?

Any other suggestions or advice are appreciated.

Thanks!
Kelly

Get it to a Pep Boys or something and get the cel code read. It might not be the O2 sensor at all.

wow.. 170k.. just wondering how much did you buy it for? and strongly suggest you change all the fluids... engine oil change, coolant fluids, transmission fluid... check the brake pads and rotor as well, remember do the alligment when you change tires... after all these fix.. should be able to squeeze another 100k

Just a heads up,the p5 doesn't have a single serpentine belt, it has 2 drive belts. It wouldn't hurt to change them both if you are going to do one of them. Def change the gear oil in the transmission if you don't have any service history on that. It's relatively easy and smoothed out the shifts pretty nicely when I did it at 130,000. My car just passed 174K. Welcome to the high mileage club!

Did the PO give you a timing belt?

When was it changed? (only thing i would worry about).

Struts may be due.

MD P5s FTW!

Agree with the above:

1. Replace all fluids. I also changed the manual tranny fluid at 140k and was really surprised at how much more smoothly the car shifted.
2. Those CELs can be read for free at car parts stores (AutoZone, etc.). You can look up what the codes mean here and possible fixes. If you need a new front catalytic converter, be sure to look for advice on here before getting the car fixed. This can save you a LOT of money.

BTW: my Protege ES has 150k and has plenty of life left in it. I have much more fun driving it than people who own cars costing 20x as much as I paid.

Back