New owner and member

djghia

:
'07 Phantom Blue Sport, '62 VW Karmann Ghia vert

I am getting this '07 Sport to replace my '00 Taurus wagon tomorrow and hope to use this forum to learn as much as I can. This '07 has 75,600 miles and is very clean. I am sure to have lots of questions about it. Thanks in advance. Dave

Just got home from the 5's inaugural road trip with me as owner. 550 miles north to see family for Thanksgiving. Fuel mileage was about as expected, no real hard math was done, but it looks to have run between 24-28 on the trip. Most of the trip is 4 lane with 65-70 mph speed limit and there was a fairly stiff head wind going up, so I am quite pleased. Really impressed with the get-up-and-go the little bugger has, even with five of us and a large cooler of adult beverages in it yesterday going to mom's it had plenty of zip. Started good even in the much colder weather of northern Iowa! Ordered a new set of factory front floor mats as the originals are a little scruffy, they should arrive late this week. I get to make the same trip end of this week as I will be returning mom home. She came back with us to visit her sister down here. Plan on doing rear brakes this week before I leave and will do the rear bushing lube while I am under the rear end. Thanks again for all the great information on this site! Dave

Automatic. I did notice that the tires are 215-50-17 as opposed to the stock size of 205-50-17, which may give a slightly incorrect speedo reading. Got the brakes on today. Also threw the thermostat code, so I got one to put on tomorrow. Lube will have to wait since I had to figure out why my son's car wouldn't start when we got home. Looks like it was a poor connection at the fuel pump relay. Dave

Automatic. I did notice that the tires are 215-50-17 as opposed to the stock size of 205-50-17, which may give a slightly incorrect speedo reading. Got the brakes on today. Also threw the thermostat code, so I got one to put on tomorrow. Lube will have to wait since I had to figure out why my son's car wouldn't start when we got home. Looks like it was a poor connection at the fuel pump relay. Dave

The 215s are good for 1%, or 1 mph at 100 mph (101 when reading 100) I tested it over a 100 mile stretch of I-8 (100 miles at normal freeway speed, NOT 100 mph) and came up with 101 on the odo, so you won't see a measurable increase in mpgs with the 215s.

The ATs, even the 4AT, do better than the 5MT at freeway speeds, but the 5MT makes up for it in city mileage.

Yeah, 215/50-17 is the size you want to keep on there. It pretty much puts the speedometer just a hair over what the reading is. My 235/45-17s are slightly shorter, and match the speedometer up perfectly with actual speed.

Got the thermostat installed today. Not a bad job to do on the 5 as compared to the same engine design in my wife's Mercury Milan. Dave

Just a few new shots of the 5.
2014-01-15095155_zpse7f6d194.jpg

2014-01-15095212_zpsdd50c2b6.jpg

Interior.
2014-01-15095037_zpsae004c88.jpg

Mascot!
2014-01-15095053_zps47573274.jpg

Still going strong. Dave J

Welcome! You’re gonna love the van. Digging the two tone seats!

Took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck 85 miles would do? 80085=BOOBS! We are a sick bunch, I love it!! Dave

I just got my brought my mazda 5 2010 with 65k on it going to need all the filter changed on it. Other then that I to do a better cleaning job then the dearship did.

New toy to play with. '73 standard beetle. Runs well, no rust! Came from Arizona a couple years ago. Went to Iowa Friday and brought it home. Paint decent, needs interior re-done.
1163899.jpg
1163892.jpg
Dave J

Did all us vw guys migrate from vortex to here? :)
nice bug! My wife's a fanatic

Back