New MSP Owner!!!

Inspekdah

:
Mazda Speed Protege, Black Mica '03
Alright guys, I've posted here before but only as a pathetic and jealous fan of the MSP. However, my POS 95 Eclipse turned out to be the worst investment of my life, and I went to Mazda hoping I could find a MSP, an original one if possible, and I actually did... I found an original Black Mica one (the Ford/Mazda dealer is one of the biggest in my area and somehow got 12 of them... and the Oranges apparently sold quicker than the Black, lucky for me!)

Anyway I got the new $2000 rebate and an additional $1500 of the sticker down to invoice cuz the salesman is a friend of the family... all said and done I think i got a good deal... they took a hit on my pos car and gave me 3 grand for it... so I couldn't pass this baby up...

More importantly tho guys... what are some small/common mod's that are typical for these baby's...

i , like some of you enjoy having a 4 year warranty and want it... at least for a little :p after shelling at least a grand a year for repairs you can imagine the relief that is a "warranty"

besides mods what other little things should i do with my msp? obviously the turbo needs premium gas, its got 188 miles on the engine i know i should take it easy till at least 1000 w/ the break-in period...

anyhow, good to see all the post about the MSP and I hope I can be a contributing member to the forum.

-inspekdah

Welcome!

Be sure to let the turbo spool down by idling for 30 seconds before you shut the car down. Or get a turbo timer.

Keep it easy for the first 1000 miles, but don't worry too much...if you have to hit boost, don't be afraid to not punch it. Just don't do it constantly until she's broken in.

Congrats on your new car.
Little things? Hmmm, if you spend any time reading this forum you'll soon be spending every waking minute doing little things to your car!
(bling)
I'm doing some little appearance things that don't do squat for performance. And they are cheap. You've got black and can do a lot with a little color.

Things that will help performance:
Put air in the tires - at least 32lbs - mine came from the dealer with 36. I've been running 41 lbs front and 40.5 rear for the last 2 months and am absolutely amazed at the handling.

Your 1st mod should be to get the ECU flashed!

Pick a SRI or CAI.

Get a boost controller and add a little boost.

Replace the exhaust with a 2.5" setup if running low boost or 3" for high boost.

How do I know about all of the above? Because I spend my life reading every thread here!

Definitely idle for 30 seconds if you have been running it under load and using boost.

And be sure and spend some time driving!
:)

He said that he wants to KEEP the warranty not VOID it:D

Seriously, if you really want to keep your warranty 100%, don't mod it at all. It's a great car stock and a lot of people are happy with that. Everything you do to the engine CAN void your warranty, that is unless you want to take the time and expense to fight mazda when they claim that your boost gauge voided your warranty. The magnuson-moss warranty act is supposed to protect us from this, but there have been a few people on this board alone that have been denied warranty work for the mods listed above. It all really depends on how cool the service manager is at your dealership.

EDIT: Do a search for boostisgood, he has a link in his sig to the magnusson-moss stuff, if you're interested.

what turbo timer do you guys recommend? im definately interested in getting one.. which do you guys recommend?

Check out all of 'em and get the one that has the features that you want. Blitz, Greddy, HKS, they all make good ones, the real difference is in the extra features.

I have heard of dealers claiming this, but nothing is black and white. If you add a boost controller and crank it up, then they couldn't deny you for a suspension problem. But if what you mod has to do with the part that failed in any way, they will deny your claim.

If you search around this place you'll find different opinions. It seems some people can mod the hell out of their cars and their dealer doesn't care and some people add something basic like a turbo timer and their dealer claims it voided their warranty for everything.

I decided against a turbo timer since it is kind of a pain to get it to work with the security system. I figure I can sit in the car for 30 seconds and listen to some tunes.

Until I have my car very well broken in I'm staying away from performance mods other than the ECU flash and tire pressure adjustments.

There are a couple of TT/alarms floating around out there. I have yet to see a review of one though

I read through alot of the board.... i think im gonna keep it warranty-worthy for awhile for a little while..

how can a turbo timer void the warranty? if its not a boost controller can it affect the engine in any way? maybe wut im saying makes no sense, i did a search but nothing came up about this...

Back