New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

Lot of southern states are lucky with their lenient tint laws. I live in Mass and 35% is the limit on side glass where you can very clearly see inside.

Hi everyone
So AC is comparable to previous generation of CX-9? If you also had previous CX-9 pls comment. Thx in advance.

I have the 2013 CX-9 and the AC is pretty much the same as to how fast it cools down the inside cabin. The only little difference I've noticed is how the fan blows. My 2016 CX9's fan blows a little slow than the my other one. Probably the vents are a little smaller.

I paid $280.

IMG_20160821_150740.jpg

IMG_20160821_150823.jpg

IMG_20160821_150756.jpg

titanium flash is definitely unique, it looks great on the new CX-9,

not so good on the old CX-9, saw a 2014 or 2015 titanium flash CX-9 and
honestly it looked horrible, far away on a dull day it looked like plain brown without the metallic tint.

old CX-9 in titanium flash color: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=209525&d=1418013943

Last edited:
It is clearly visible from the old and new pics how Mazda has wasted tons of space by elongating the front hood while putting a smaller engine inside. Probably could have stuck in another electric motor in there.

attachment.php

IMG_20160821_150756.jpg

Hi everyone
So AC is comparable to previous generation of CX-9? If you also had previous CX-9 pls comment. Thx in advance.

See my previous note about the change in the dash design to make it look and act like the CX-5. I compared the vent size and design between my wife's 2016 CX-5 and my 2015 CX-9.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it is part of Mazda's SKYACTIVE philosophy to put weaker ACs in all their new cars :D How else are they going to get high mpgs? Tall gearing is one, GDI is another and finally weight savings. Even with the weight savings, CX-9 is not the lightest car in it's class. That honor goes to the Koreans while still being quieter and with more features to boot!

Koreans are getting better but overall quality is still not there yet .... Drove Sorento and it does not feel as direct and linear as CX9 , stability is not the same either , just lacks control of cx9....

Koreans are getting better but overall quality is still not there yet .... Drove Sorento and it does not feel as direct and linear as CX9 , stability is not the same either , just lacks control of cx9....

Misplaced priorities. Family haulers are about utility, features and comfort. No one is racing in them or taking curves over the posted limit. If I want to have fun, I will take a Miata or a sportscar. While I loved the drive of CX9, Sorento is not lagging far behind (100 vs 90).

disagreed, i love to enjoy reasonably (for it's size) spirited , sporty drive in our cx9... CX9 is one of very very few "family haulers" that can put smile on your face , i can tell you after having new Falken performance tires on it during our trip to NC this summer, these mountain roads are sooo much fun in CX9, this piggy ballerina can rotate surprisingly well in the sharp turns with linear suspension and feeling of great control...

Misplaced priorities. Family haulers are about utility, features and comfort. No one is racing in them or taking curves over the posted limit. If I want to have fun, I will take a Miata or a sportscar. While I loved the drive of CX9, Sorento is not lagging far behind (100 vs 90).

Wanna bet? I am too tall for a Miata, though I would love to be able to fit into one. Since I like to apex a corner at a touch more than what is a reasonable speed to my wife and most other folks, except my son who drives a Speed 3. Sorrento, Santa Fe, et al do not handle in a way I would take a corner at what most would call an acceptable speed but that's why I don't own one of those and do own a Mazda. ZOOM, ZOOM!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is clearly visible from the old and new pics how Mazda has wasted tons of space by elongating the front hood while putting a smaller engine inside. Probably could have stuck in another electric motor in there.

attachment.php

IMG_20160821_150756.jpg

I test drove one today, very nice, definitely above all in it's class and on par with luxury cars in the interior, BUT agreed the front is really really long, it'll be a real pain to parallel park, wish the new CX-9 had a self parking feature.

^^ Talking about hoods, check out the interesting contrast with the Prius in the background. One of the longest hoods vs the shortest.

I disagree with your statement "misplaced priorities" as its a matter of individual choice. If I wanted a family hauler and didn't care about driving dynamics, I would buy a minivan or a Sorrento if I didn't care for build quality. You're a motorcycle guy I've noticed. I race dirt bikes. If I didn't care about a good handling motorcycle, I 'd buy one of the Japanese brands but if I wanted a good handling bike right out of the box without having to do a lot of work, I'd buy a KTM. Same with buying a road bike. Ducati is a much better handling bike than any of the Japanese bikes. Its what's great about this country, we have choices, except of course Healthcare (Obama lied about that one), but I digress.

Used to own a 2013 Kia Sorento and drove that box with wheels around for 2 years...
Made the mistake of sitting in and driving my my son's Mazda3...I think he said I had a crazy look on my face when I came back with his car after a LONG ride..
I now have a smile on my face driving my CX-5 every day....

The Sorento served it's purpose as a family hauler especially when my two sons went away to college..
But the CX-5, in my opinion....is a MUCH better ride...AND I get a lot more MPG....
Best of luck with your CX-9, if I ever need to go bigger again...that's what I 'm getting...

I disagree with your statement "misplaced priorities" as its a matter of individual choice. If I wanted a family hauler and didn't care about driving dynamics, I would buy a minivan or a Sorrento if I didn't care for build quality. You're a motorcycle guy I've noticed. I race dirt bikes. If I didn't care about a good handling motorcycle, I 'd buy one of the Japanese brands but if I wanted a good handling bike right out of the box without having to do a lot of work, I'd buy a KTM. Same with buying a road bike. Ducati is a much better handling bike than any of the Japanese bikes. Its what's great about this country, we have choices, except of course Healthcare (Obama lied about that one), but I digress.

Exactly. Mazda is Mazda and each one of their models is a different breed in their respective segments. Very much on purpose even if that means they are never volume sellers. Every car brand offers something different which is why we have more than one car brand. Mazda is more like an affordable and more reliable BMW. Fun, sporty, and dynamic to drive. When people buy BMW's they know they're not getting the reliability and luxury of a Lexus. They know they are not the most roomy. They know that the X5 can't go where a Range Rover can go. So why do people buy them?

My experience with the AC is a lot like many who have responded. I came from a 2008 Ford Escape to the CX-9 Signature. The first few days with the vehicle were with the AC cranked down low, 65, on AUTO setting. Only tint on the vehicle was from the factory. The AC never seemed to get cold enough in the hot Texas weather. I had ceramic tint put on the front windshield, the sunroof, the front side windows and the rear hatch. That helped a lot but I had began controlling the fan speed manually before the tint and continued to after the tint rather than using AUTO and letting the vehicle manage it. I then realized that I had the vents pointed away from me, turned upwards, like I did in the Escape and apparently that wasn't working as well as it should have. I thought the internal temperature sensor was broken until I turned the center vent closest to the driver on me, the driver. Then I began getting cold as expected and instead of setting the temp to below 70, I was setting it to around 75 using the AUTO setting. Now the thing works like I expect it to and will cool the vehicle down, or at least keep me cool, in less than 5 minutes after it's been sitting in the sun all day without a front shade. Mazda put a lot of thought into this vehicle for example how the AC, rain sensing wipers and headlights work when all set in the AUTO positions respectively while it is raining. I think that's why I am puzzled on some of the other choices they made regarding the lack of a heated steering wheel etc. I'm not sure how others have their vents pointed but I'm guessing most will be fine with how the AC works if you have one of the vents pointed at yourself. Hopefully this isn't too long winded as I'm trying to frame my perspective in a better way for others who have AC concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just came across this thread.. but i bought a CX9 in December 2016, here in New Zealand, and I complained to Mazda that the aircon wasn't very good compared to my old Jeep Grand Cherokee nor my wife's 2015 Mazda 3. They took it away, checked it out, said it was a bit weak and added more coolant/gas/whatever. It performs much better now.

(i'm still having other problems with the computer/navigation/more... though)

Back