New Member here: I just test drove a cx 9 signature - "dreadful A/C" is correct

I got it done at Ultimate Protection and Sound on Westpark. Not the prettiest place but they do excellent work and have the genuine Llumar tints. Carlos did the tint and he has been doing it over 20 years. He showed me all the tint grades they have and even applied small strips to my windows to show me how it would look. Great guy.

Ran about 330. Good luck.

Thanks jgriftter. Will see if I could head down there next week.

I believe it is design. The new 9 has an interior design very similar to the '16 CX-5. We have one and also a '15 CX-9, both GT. We live in the Phoenix area. My 9 cools with much more cold air than the wife's 5. I took hers back for check right after we got it and the dlr said all was good. When I get into hers on the few times I get to drive it I go back to my old style CX-9. I've beat myself up pretty bad for not waiting till the '16 came out. I am very happy with my purchase, though I love the interior of the '16 Signature Edition!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way we go through windshields here it would be too expensive. Tinters here say it's illegal to tint the windshield in AZ

The way we go through windshields here it would be too expensive. Tinters here say it's illegal to tint the windshield in AZ

You don't have to add any tint. There is clear film for windshields that block uv. That's what I got. 3m and solar guard offer it. I got solar guard cause that's what I have always used. 3m etc are all the same.
Also it helps a ton. My ac is fine. Gas mileage is pretty lame 26 mpg on a 700 mile road trip but I'm used to a diesel so ...:

Can anyone confirm that BTU size of 2016 CX9 is less than prevoius gen? It is a big issue and MAZDA better come up with much more powerful AC unit for 2016.5... few other quirks need work.

BTU size aside, I thought the real world feedback from owners was that the AC actually was better than originally thought and fit for purpose. I stand ready to be corrected (slammed!)

Well , let's compare size of BTU of 2016 vs. 2015 . I was bit surprised of weaker AC in 2016 CX9 as my 2014 Mazda 3 has much colder and stronger AC than our old 2009 Mazda 3 mostly due to more efficient evaporator ... i had hoped that 2016 CX9 will also get more efficient evaporator for even better cooling performance :(

Can anyone confirm that BTU size of 2016 CX9 is less than prevoius gen? It is a big issue and MAZDA better come up with much more powerful AC unit for 2016.5... few other quirks need work.

Doesn't seem to be any info on BTU size.

As for 2016.5? LOL, this model essentially was released in the 2016.5 time frame it was so late. Basically the 2016 is a half year model year although I'm guessing Mazda will be late with the 2017's (past the usual Sept./Oct.).

AC is an issue but mysterious loss of 10 cubic ft of cargo space makes no sense ...

the loss of space is due to the spare tire who is now inside the SUV and not out, the subwoofer and additional space for 2nd and 3rd row.

we purchased the 2016 Signature. I picked up it on the hottest day of the year!

Yes it was lacking but after a week with it, to remedy this, turn off the air circulation button where it will not allow the outside air to come in.

This helps as it kicks the fan speed slightly higher. Total a total fix but it does help.

I had the CX-9 GT since 7/31 and still have no complaints about the AC performance. I live in Naples, FL which is always 92-93 with about 100% humidity and pretty much all day sun. I have the Titanium flash mica with sand leather. I do have all the windows tinted with the ceramic tint (not including front windshield).

than if AC performance sucks for super hot climates than dealers should throw in tint , how much was a cost of ceramic tint ? any pics?

Another article about AC.
"There has been some discussion about an inadequate air conditioner on our forums. It has been mentioned by some journalists but I personally haven’t noticed that it is not cold. I have noticed that the fans stay on for a longer time at full blast then you would expect. Perhaps this is what others are noticing? You also notice because the fans are ridiculously loud on full blast."
http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/day-day-review-2016-mazda-cx-9/

I'd echo that. I live in MA. and it's been hot and muggy here for the past week(today not so much). We've had a couple of days in the past week where our house windows were fogging up due to how humid its been. Despite the heat and humidity we have not found the AC lacking coolness but would agree when you leave it on fully automatic the fans run full bore pretty much all the time and they are super loud. After about 10 minutes we generally turn the fans on manual and put them on the lowest settings. By the way, you can set the fan speed manual and still set the temperature you want. They will both work independently, this is straight from the manual.

I have about 350 miles on the car now and for the most part the A/C seems ok. Today I measured the temperature with an A/C thermometer while driving home from work. At 95 degrees, the thermometer read 40F running the A/C in recirc auto mode set to 73 degrees.. That is pretty good.

Yes it was lacking but after a week with it, to remedy this, turn off the air circulation button where it will not allow the outside air to come in.

still reading all the replies but this was what i was wondering. is everyone running the A/C in re-circulation (aka MAX) mode?

this makes a big difference in very hot weather. i noticed that our 2011 is almost always in re-circulation mode. maybe mazda changed the design where the 2016 is usually in "fresh" mode pulling very hot air from the outside into the car. that could seriously affect the a/c.

Last edited:
still reading all the replies but this was what i was wondering. is everyone running the A/C in re-circulation (aka MAX) mode?

this makes a big difference in very hot weather. i noticed that our 2011 is almost always in re-circulation mode. maybe mazda changed the design where the 2016 is usually in "fresh" mode pulling very hot air from the outside into the car. that could seriously affect the a/c.

When I use re circulation mode, the AC works better. I use it the first minutes when drive and they switched to fresh air from outside. No AC issues now. It's a big car, so you need to wait some time in order to have the full vehicle full of fresh cool air.

than if AC performance sucks for super hot climates than dealers should throw in tint , how much was a cost of ceramic tint ? any pics?

I paid $280.

IMG_20160821_150740.jpg

IMG_20160821_150823.jpg

IMG_20160821_150756.jpg

Latest posts

Back