New Head Unit for 2017 CX5 Touring

I recently purchased a 2017 CX5. The vehicle is in great condition except for the screen appearance of the infotainment Head unit. It's real hazy looking in certain light. Can anyone suggest the best options for replacing the Head unit?

Wondering if a third party installation service would be the best route or if it's something a dealer
should do.

Can anyone recommend a specific Head unit brand that integrates with full functionality of the original Head unit? An upgraded unit that provides Android Auto is what I'm interested in.

Questions I have:

Can a third party hardware installer do any needed upgrades to the Mazda firmware as well to enable
Android Auto?

Can a replacement to the Head unit be done without leaving any residual imperfections/damage to the dash
or other trim areas?

Thanks for any suggestions!

bruh just clean it with a sock and sanitizer works great
I did try to clean it with a damp micro fiber
cloth. Doesn't seem to be a cleaning issue. Seems like the material used for the screen just doesn't wear well (?).

What kind of sanitizer are you referring to?

Thanks for your reply.

is this the same?

I suggest if the screen is ruined / damaged to replace with OEM.

Aftermarket HUD is not going to be an easy route.
Just look here (for an older model):

Never use sanitizer on a plastic LCD display! The alcohol in sanitizer will ruin it. That's probably what happened. Also, don't use glass cleaner like Windex. Best to use water and microfiber cloth.

Dealer can replace the infotainment screen easily.

Never use sanitizer on a plastic LCD display! The alcohol in sanitizer will ruin it. That's probably what happened. Also, don't use glass cleaner like Windex. Best to use water and microfiber cloth.

Dealer can replace the infotainment screen easily.
Can they replace just the screen or does the entire head unit have to be replaced? The head unit isn't cheap,..$800 to $1000 depending on where you get it.

Can they replace just the screen or does the entire head unit have to be replaced? The head unit isn't cheap,..$800 to $1000 depending on where you get it.

Most likely your dealer will NOT replace just the screen. Labor cost wise even if they do that level of repair.. you will not come out ahead. IF you are not comfortable with DIY .. I suggest you find a local electronic repair shop and point them in this direction for parts:

Though any respectable repair shop can source their own parts.

So after reading other posts regarding damaged or 'stained' screens due to use of alcohol based or other cleaning agents, I realized the previous owner of my vehicle must have used such a product.
The remedy I chose was to clean off the remaining anti-glare agent to return the screen to a clean finish. I found a youtube video suggesting the use of vinegar to clean off these types of damaged surfaces (apparently it's been a problem on some laptop screens as well).

I used white vinegar and a microfiber towel, a Q tip for the bottom edge of the screen to prevent contact with the dash. Then I wiped it with a clean water dampened microfiber towel (different one). My screen looks amazing!

I'm looking into a screen protector but the reviews I've seen mention increased glare with the screen protectors. You lose the matte finish of the screen with the protectors.

Hope this helps someone else.

Latest posts

Back