New Girl on the Block :)

Hey Dana, welcome to the Forums. I have the yakima forklifts as well and It is really easy to mod them to fit on the factory cross bars with out hitting. Just cut 4" of the back and re-drill the holes for the end caps and they will be perfect. I use to work at a bike shop and this to mine and two other customers racks that had P5's. For the holes you can just drill them a bit bigger to fit the ovalish taps on the end caps or lathe them out to be oval.

Hey Dana, welcome to the Forums. I have the yakima forklifts as well and It is really easy to mod them to fit on the factory cross bars with out hitting. Just cut 4" of the back and re-drill the holes for the end caps and they will be perfect. I use to work at a bike shop and this to mine and two other customers racks that had P5's. For the holes you can just drill them a bit bigger to fit the ovalish taps on the end caps or lathe them out to be oval.

I actually thought of doing this. What did you use to cut them... Hacksaw?

Well I guy I worked with had a machine shop so we used a band saw but a hack saw would have worked just as well as long as you can cut straight. Chop Saw with a metal cutting blade would work too.

I may try painting them a dark grey...
Being from Ohio, I HATE the steelers, so I don't know if I can stomach a yellow and black theme lol

Welcome to the forum - make sure you take good care of the underside (see the rust thread)

Unfortunately I'm on the way out of my P5 because of it. The wheel wells and underside are beyond repair (at least within my financial means). I started parting out the car today - so very depressing.

you'd be hard pressed to find one down here with major rust.. unless its from up north and has an advanced state of cancer..

no salt water, little to no snow, if it does snow, the only place that has the equipment to handle it is up in the north Ga area..

:)

My P5 started its life in Maryland.. surprisingly I have no major rust issues...

You obviously didn't look at my location and don't live near the beaches like I do... The only reason that makes up north worse about rust is that they use salt on the roads that's really it.... If you take the extra care you can avoid it. If you clean the car after you drive it through slated roads you would have the issue. However being realistic about it that doesn't happen often.

The bumpers on my truck are rusting from the inside out and its been here in jaxs its entire life(grant it has some years on it over the pro's). Crap here rust 40 times faster then in northern texas(home) where it snows every winter.

you'd be hard pressed to find one down here with major rust.. unless its from up north and has an advanced state of cancer..

no salt water, little to no snow, if it does snow, the only place that has the equipment to handle it is up in the north Ga area..

:)

My P5 started its life in Maryland.. surprisingly I have no major rust issues...

This is true... And when it does snow, they put sand down and nit salt. Plus everything shuts down, so no need to take the car out of the garage anyway lol!

Now that is hate! Could always paint them yellow to match?

I really, really do hate them... Ravens too!!! I'm a diehard Browns fan. I know... I know. But I was born and raised in northeast Ohio... You can never accuse me of being a frontrunner at least :D

Go Brownies!!!!

I really, really do hate them... Ravens too!!! I'm a diehard Browns fan. I know... I know. But I was born and raised in northeast Ohio... You can never accuse me of being a frontrunner at least :D

Go Brownies!!!!

lol....I'm a Dolphins fan but get stuck watching the Eagles/Jets all the time....

And I do feel your pain....I grew up in Southern IL and have been a Cubs fan my whole life....(bang)

Im from Maryland orginally.. ;) I know alll about road salt, ocean/bay salt etc..

and I figured you were from florida...

now Im confused.. oh well. :confused:

lol I just went back and re-read what I wrote and man did i come off like ass.. NOT my intentions!!! Sorry about that.

I have lived here in Jacksonville, Fl for about 8-9 years not but mainly lived in Texas majority of my life up in the panhandle.

lol....I'm a Dolphins fan but get stuck watching the Eagles/Jets all the time....

And I do feel your pain....I grew up in Southern IL and have been a Cubs fan my whole life....(bang)

I actually like the dolphins. My stepdad was the one who taught me about football and he was a dolphins fan for some reason.

Awe... Poor Cubs! They seem to have the same curse that the Browns do.

Back