new found fuel economy :)

i just wanted to share this with you guys,

with the increased prices of gas, i decided to go green by reducing my speed. and being more conciencious of my acceleration and braking.

i used to drive an average of 75mph, meaning my goal speed is 80mph, and i was always getting about 18 miles per gallon.

now, i have reduced by average speed to below 70mph and i'm now getting close to 21 miles per gallon. close to 50 miles more per tank of gas.

sometimes i wish i purchased a 2007 cx9 with the smaller engine... maybe i could have gotten better fuel milage.

i just wanted to share this with you guys,

with the increased prices of gas, i decided to go green by reducing my speed. and being more conciencious of my acceleration and braking.

i used to drive an average of 75mph, meaning my goal speed is 80mph, and i was always getting about 18 miles per gallon.

now, i have reduced by average speed to below 70mph and i'm now getting close to 21 miles per gallon. close to 50 miles more per tank of gas.

sometimes i wish i purchased a 2007 cx9 with the smaller engine... maybe i could have gotten better fuel milage.

Highly unlikely that the Ford 3.5 is any more efficient than the Mazda produced 3.7. Most all the anecdotal evidence on the forums suggests that it's a wash. If anything, it would appear that the 3.7 might be slightly more efficient as a result of the flatter torque curve vs. the 3.5 litre.

Just be glad you didn't buy a Buick Enclave, every bit as impressive as the 9 except for the "walking camshafts" on literally hundreds of those units sitting in Buick service departments waiting for camshafts, heads, and head gaskets. Can you believe GM is having a hard time getting the gaskets to complete the repair (not the shafts or the head, but the gasket itself).

Last edited:
We just got close to 20 mpg on our latest roadtrip, with wife and 2 kids and gear in the car. This is mostly highway, of course, driving at 75 mph when possible. I guess it's the best we might do with our AWD CX-9 (unless I reduce my speed, but we all know that's not going to happen, ha ha!)

I read the Topic title " new found fuel economy" and thought I was on to something big, only to find out that somebody has worked out driving slower uses less fuel...............not exactly rocket science, is it?

Heres a tip!
Driving smaller ,lighter, areodynamic and underpowered cars, gives much better fuel economy, but who WANTS too?
Not me, I'll go fast, hard and heavy and pay the penalty for the pleasure thanks!

I read the Topic title " new found fuel economy" and thought I was on to something big, only to find out that somebody has worked out driving slower uses less fuel...............not exactly rocket science, is it?

Heres a tip!
Driving smaller ,lighter, areodynamic and underpowered cars, gives much better fuel economy, but who WANTS too?
Not me, I'll go fast, hard and heavy and pay the penalty for the pleasure thanks!

i was just trying to show exactly how much i saved by cutting my speed... i know it isnt rocket science, everyone know you save gas by driving slower, but not everyone knows how much gas you can save exactly.

and you're the coolest cuz you dont have to save money for gas like most of the world... you're my idol

i was just trying to show exactly how much i saved by cutting my speed... i know it isnt rocket science, everyone know you save gas by driving slower, but not everyone knows how much gas you can save exactly.

and you're the coolest cuz you dont have to save money for gas like most of the world... you're my idol

Aw shucks,(kiss) thanks!

On the contrary my friend, I'm not the richest dude in town and our fuel is a hell of a lot dearer than yours ($1.60/liter that's over $6/US gal), and that's why I quickly opened your topic to see what great discovery you had made in saving fuel.
To my disappointment you were only stating the bleeding obvious.

Everyone wants to save money, but my point was, if I have to (do the obvious) buy a small crapp underpowered uncomfortable car or drive around like granny to acheive this, then I'll just pay the extra cost.

Sorry to spoil your great topic, please continue, as I can't wait to see how much fuel you save at 30mph!(2thumbs)

unfortunately, i have to transport my family which i cant do with my Honda Fit(jazz) and the lease was signed about 6 months prior to the the spike in gas prices when the gas price was about 2/3 of the price it is now..... trying what i can do to save a buck while only giving up a nominal sacrifice of 5 mins on a commute.

you're right, its "bleeding obious" that you save gas, but its not "bleeding obvious" how much exactly you can save. if it is, can you please tell me what my fuel economy difference would be driving 65mph as opposed to 75mph?

Last edited:
Can you please tell me what my fuel economy difference would be driving 65mph as opposed to 75mph?

Going by your first post, it is more than 3 mpg better.........

So why dont you drive at 55mph and save some more money?
Think of the kids man!(rlaugh)

clarko, don't be a hater...

Nah, thats not me mate!
Its just my Ozzie sick sense of humor, its all tongue in cheek stuff with me.

I'll leave the poor bugger alone now,

Cheers, and have a nice day(bowdown)

Back