New CX-9 Grand Touring/Tire Concerns

I'm in the unfortunate circumstance of needing to get tires very soon. The wife drives the CX9 and shuttles the kids around and the existing Bridgestones aren't looking very good. We can also get snow at any time -- some forecasts are putting it as early as this week in Metro Denver (very slim chance, though). Although not as well surveyed as the Paradas, the Scorpion STRs look like what we'll go with since they're available and within our budget, whereas the Michelins are not. I found it interesting that the lower reviews (especially for snow and tread life) on that tire came from full-size truck owners. Other SUV/CUV owners generally had positive reviews.

One downside to the 20" rims, I guess, is the lower selection of tires.

20" tires used to be very expensive and there were few choices.
Nowadays, more 20" wheels as OE. Tiremakers are producing more 20" tires.
The difference in price is no longer as large compared to 18" and 19".

And would have cost half with the warranty, and future replacements would cost nothing. Real waste of money.

You're off by bit. I said this is the only tire failure I've had in the last 22 years. Let's do some simple math. Twenty vehicles x 4 tires x $15-$20 per tire for hazard warranty.

Now who's wasting money?

Your results may vary.

tires

hey mazda lovers and some not. I'am new to the forum and was wondering what tires would be good for me out here in cali, everybody here seems to be from the east coast with lots of rain and snow problems. are the stock tires good enough, i really want a better ride i have 2008 cx9 GT 20" a little stiff any suggestions would be great.

hey mazda lovers and some not. I'am new to the forum and was wondering what tires would be good for me out here in cali, everybody here seems to be from the east coast with lots of rain and snow problems. are the stock tires good enough, i really want a better ride i have 2008 cx9 GT 20" a little stiff any suggestions would be great.

I got reasonable wear out of the Bridgestones, but they were noisy and not the best for wet traction. I held off until my tires were near-bald waiting for the Yokohamas to be available online at a reasonable price, but they were constantly on backorder so I settled for Toyo Proxes. These tires are quiet, a tad heavier than the Bridgestones which costs about a half mpg in fuel economy, but they look and handle nicely. We've hardly had enough rain to wet a road since I put them on, but they shouldn't be any worse than the Bridgestones were.

A coworker drives a 2008 Toyota Highlander Limited. It's equipped with the same Bridgestone's that come OEM on the CX-9.

Today I noticed she had new tires. I asked her how many miles she got out of the old ones (I'm interested since my CX-9 is leased). She said about 28K miles. She also said it cost her $1K to replace them. She had the same OEM tires installed, and told me she had no choice, as they are the only tires available.

I checked TireRack.Com, and sure enough, the only tire that comes up for the Highlander Limited is the 245/55R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400.

At least we have a choice!

A bit of an old thread, but I think it is a good one. This thread is basically about the best year round tire we can buy for our CX-9s. But what about the CX-9 users that have dedicated snow tires for winter?

I agree that the OEM choice of tire completely sucks for our crossovers. I would oppose any discussion that they are remotely adequate. I drove in Michigan during last years Xmas snow storm and was so disgusted, I tried to buy Blizzaks while I was visiting there. They were out of stock! So, I'll just leave it at that.

So how many of you are using 20" 3 season tires and 18" snows out there? Is there any issues with your TPMS system and recalibrating each time you swap out? I'm thinking of Blizzak DM-V1s on 18" wheels and Toyos on 20" for the other seasons.
Thanks, in advance!

Regarding TMPS, if you use the same set of TMPS sensors, there will be no problem.
The sensors will continue to talk to the ECU, even after rotation (since our TMPS system is not location-aware).
If you use a separate set of TMPS sensors, then, (I think) you need dealers to register them for you. And, again, when you swap them back.

That's great to know. Can anyone else confirm this? I swap wheels on my Dodge all the time...system auto updates and doesn't miss a tic.

Correction:
In manual:
Changing tires and wheels
The following procedure allows the
TPMS to recognize a tire pressure sensor's
unique ID signal code whenever tires or
wheels are changed, such as changing to
and from winter tires.
NOTE
Each tire pressure sensor has a unique ID
signal code. The signal code must be
registered with the TPMS before it can work.
The easiest way to do it is to have an
Authorized Mazda Dealer change your tire and
complete ID signal code registration.
When having tires changed at an
Authorized Mazda Dealer
Tire pressure sensor ID signal code
registration is completed when an
Authorized Mazda Dealer changes your
vehicle's tires.
When changing tires yourself
If you or someone else changes tires, you
or someone else can also undertake the
steps for the TPMS to complete the ID
signal code registration.
1. After tires have been changed, turn the
ignition switch to the ON position, then
turn it back to the ACC or LOCK
position.
2. Wait for about 15 minutes.
Driving Your Mazda
Starting and Driving
3. After about 15 minutes, drive the
vehicle at a speed of at least 25 km/h
(16 mph) for 10 minutes and the tire
pressure sensor ID signal code will be
registered automatically.
NOTE
If the vehicle is driven within about 15 minutes
of changing tires, the tire pressure monitoring
system warning light will flash because the
sensor ID signal code would not have been
registered. If this happens, park the vehicle for
about 15 minutes, after which the sensor ID
signal code will register upon driving the
vehicle for 10 minutes.

A bit of an old thread, but I think it is a good one. This thread is basically about the best year round tire we can buy for our CX-9s. But what about the CX-9 users that have dedicated snow tires for winter?

I agree that the OEM choice of tire completely sucks for our crossovers. I would oppose any discussion that they are remotely adequate. I drove in Michigan during last years Xmas snow storm and was so disgusted, I tried to buy Blizzaks while I was visiting there. They were out of stock! So, I'll just leave it at that.

So how many of you are using 20" 3 season tires and 18" snows out there? Is there any issues with your TPMS system and recalibrating each time you swap out? I'm thinking of Blizzak DM-V1s on 18" wheels and Toyos on 20" for the other seasons.
Thanks, in advance!

Hi IV,
I'm in your boat. I'll be using the OE Dueller's (20") for 3 seasons and swapping to dedicated winter rim/tire setup for 1 season (18" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3). I'll be doing the swap myself later this month and using the TPMS reset procedure in the manual that ceric quoted. Have done this for several years on my previous cars.

My view is that dedicated winter tires are actually not much more expensive than sticking with all seasons year round. Since the second set of tires just prolongs the life of the your main set, the only extra expense is the cost of the second set of rims/tpms sensors ($600) and the time (30 minutes) to swap rims 2x a year. That extra cost is worth it for the added confidence/safety in winter driving, even in the hit/miss winters of NY area where I live.

Plus, I can rotate my main tires when I mount them again in the spring.

Regarding TMPS, if you use the same set of TMPS sensors, there will be no problem.
The sensors will continue to talk to the ECU, even after rotation (since our TMPS system is not location-aware).
If you use a separate set of TMPS sensors, then, (I think) you need dealers to register them for you. And, again, when you swap them back.

Hey Ceric,

When I put on my Blizzaks last year with their own TPMS, the car came back from NTB (who swapped them) with no warning indicator. I don't suspect they knew what to do to register them, but who knows. Same thing when I took them off and put on the stock Bridgestone in the spring.....no indicator. Maybe it doesn't even work!

I'll let you know again in a month or so when I put the Blizzaks back on.

On my 07, I never had to redo the TPMs after a rotation.

If you take them off with the car turned off, and put them back on, the car will not even know they were removed. It just looks for the 4 sending units, and the pressure data.

If you added new ones, maybe the shop actually did know how to register the new sending units. Otherwise the car would tell you it's not receiving data.

If you get a flat and put the donut on, it will flash because the tire has no pressure and the donut has no TPM.

Last edited:
According to the manual, here is what you do in case you have a new set of wheels/tires with their own different TMPS sensors in them:

----------- from manual
position.
Driving Your Mazda
Starting and Driving

According to the manual, here is what you do in case you have a new set of wheels/tires with their own different TMPS sensors in them:

----------- from manual
position.
Driving Your Mazda
Starting and Driving

Ceric,

If this is not performed right after changing the tires, can it be down the 2nd time the car is driven? Also, this may be dealer-dependent, but is it SOP for the dealers to perform this for you, or post a sticker or something with specific instructions to do so?

thanks,
tstex

This is from my 2008 manual.
If you had a 2009/2010, you should consult yours to be sure.
I don't thnik there is any limit on how many times you can perform this.
The 1st step tells ECU to prepare to learn the codes.
The 2nd and 3rd steps is the learning part.

I plan on keeping the duellers on my 20's and buying the Blizzaks and some 18's here pretty soon. I can't see spending $800 or $900 on tires that I can't put chains on. I would rather spend the $1100 or so on TireRack to buy a set of winter tires and wheels. What are the differences in the Blizzaks? Someone mentioned DM-V1 and then there was DM-V3 or something? Which one is better?

I don't plan on buying the TPMS for the winter set either, I'll live with the annoying light on the dash for 4 months out of the year to save $200.

Last edited:
Ok, I am back with an updated take on Toyo Proxes S/T tires.

I have had these tires for close to a year now and I LOVE the way they handle on wet and dry roads. I also was very impressed with the way they initially handled in moderately bad weather/driving conditions.

Well, we just received a blizzard from mother nature here on the south seacoast of MA and the tires were so dreadful we had to stay house bound Sunday. There was a hard packed layer of ice and snow on the cul-de-sac we live in, due mainly to a dreadful job by the plows, and the tires spun like they were on rollers. I had a hard time even getting back into our driveway as traction was zilch on a flat surface no less!

After reading all the great reviews and seeing how in demand the Yokohama Spec-X's have become, I am feeling a bit of buyer's remorse. But I want to be sure that the praise for the Yoko's is legit before I pull the trigger next time around. And I would also like to consider some dedicated snows like the Blizzaks. I see that Tirerack has a new model (DM-V1) in the stock 245/50R20 size which is much cheaper ($155/wheel as opposed to $241) than the popular LM-25/LM-60:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...&autoYear=2007&autoModel=CX-9&autoModClar=AWD

Has anyone tested the cheaper version of the Blizzaks and can anyone compare them to the more expensive ones?

Also, has anyone had trouble sliding with the Yoko Spec-X's in severely bad weather/driving conditions?

Any and all feedback is much appreciated...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back