New CX-5 Likes/Dislikes

- Short throw gear stick
- High driving position
- Engine refinement and torque (diesel), 5th gear, 40mph, foot down and it just goes!
- MPG for size and shape of car
- Driving position
- Suspension setting and comfort
- Remote key start
- Nav system
- Cabin layout
- Rear seat fold down system

Dislike

- Vibrating mirrors
- Noises from interior (driver handle on roof squeaks, centre panel between reading lights)
- Notchy reverse gear, doesnt go in or jumps out about 30% of the time.
- Non linear reverse sensors (VW were very predictable, these seem a bit cheap n nasty)
- Centre arm rest hinge has no force, meaning when open and driving, slight acceleration makes it open vertically, lift off the gas and it closes, needs a stronger opening force.
- Too much plastic in storage areas, door bins, glove box etc, all very noise and scratchy if hard objects left inside.
- Not much storage space in front at all
- Dimming function of lights, if you want auto function then you need to turn the odometer knob to a set position, but if you put lights on in bad daytime weather, the dials are very dim, all a bit fiddly
- Trip computer only has one mode, my Golf had 2 modes meaning you could monitor the MPG for the current tank in mode 1, switch to mode 2 and reset to measure the current journey with mode 1 resetting.
- Low fuel warning is a yellow message, a yellow pump symbol, red triangle and the fuel gauge itself...come on, I just need told once.
- Having to press ok to confirm the roads might be icy. Just show me for a few seconds and go away, I do know its quite cold outside so why bother telling me at all.
- Rain sensing wipers wipe far too often and dont seem to adjust.
- Suspension makes a loud clunk from one of the wheels when going over uneven ground, like entering a car park with a deep drain at side of road
- 3 visits to dealers in first 2 weeks of ownership for exhaust sensor errors, dealer was worse than useless.
- How to turn the engine off but leave radio on?
- Seats have no support when cornering. I drive slower, simply because I fall out the seat if taken at anything "sporty", my wife holds the door handle for most of the journey if there are corners.
- Night lighting is not great, a few areas and buttons are hard to find, my VW had the red LED in the roof, didnt notice them but everything could be found.
- Arm rest, material is not very nice, its too low and too far back.
- No air vents for rear passengers.
- Bonnet thickness, it buckles when you lean on it to check wiper blades
- Floor carpet lifts easy when removing mats, seems thin, low quality stuff.
- Dust shows around cockpit very easily.
- Rear seat belts seem fiddly. Any passengers ive carried always need time to get themselves clicked in.
- Stupid lables on sun blinds, looks a bit naf when down
- Position of clock is a bit awkward.
- Wind noise from door mirrors.
- Tension on blink for 3 blinks, should be easier to click for 3 blinks instead of accidently putting on constant.
- Bottle holder gets in way of gear changes so I dont use it, could have been staggered to the side perhaps.
- Air con flow control, how do you get airflow to face and windscreen without feet???

I love the car, the positives outweigh the negatives, althought the list doesnt seem like that!! My previous 3 cars were golfs, R32, GT, TSI, and although they are kind of boring, you can see why VW win awards, the small but important points that I listed in negatives are often done perfectly by VW.

Dr. My 2 year old 328 was my first experience with the 3 blink setting. It grows on you to the point if you drive a car without it you find yourself tapping the single expecting the 3 blink! I was glad when I found out the cx5 had this feature. Only issue I have is that sometimes 3 blinks is not enough of a warning in heavy traffic, so I tend to hold it for a couple extra blinks. There are vents under the drivers seat for the passenger, but it would be nice if they could be adjusted independently by those in the back seat. I am with you on the clock being a little low, should be available in the gauges.

This. Simply mind blown at the amount of threads that surface everyday on this forum which could be answered by thinking twice, spending two minutes reading the manual, or using common sense. I know the general consumer for run of the mill vehicles like the CX-5 are not known for being tech savvy or mechanically inclined, but the amount of ignorance that appear is simply mind blowing.

When I was a parts manager for a British/French/Italian car dealer in Princeton we had a sign behind the service desk; "$5.00 to explain anything covered in the owners manual" It was amazing how many paid it including machanics from other shops.

Not always, Bladecutter--the manual is sometimes poorly written and hard to understand, and I would consider this blue temp light to be a flawed, counter-intuitive design. It looks an awful lot like a problem with the temperature of the engine, and altho the OM] says it tells you when the engine has warmed enough for the cabin heater to function, the alternative is to just wait 2-3 mins before you turn on the heat, which I can do without a confusing dummy light.

I like the blue cold engine indicator. The engine will naturally vary in the amount of time it takes to warm up depending upon the ambient temperature, the starting temperature of the engine, and specific driving conditions. The route from the local ski hill is almost entirely downhill for the first 10 or 12 minutes and, in the winter, the light will remain illuminated for at least 10 minutes (until more level terrain requires the application of throttle). On the other hand, during warmer weather, the light may extinguish in just a few moments if the car had been driven recently. The blue light illuminates guesswork and provides the visual indication that the engine has not yet reached normal operating temperature.

Another example where the manual doesn't help is with the accelerator pedal kick down switch. It is described in the attached file copied from the "Smart Start Guide." The explanation in the SSG is nearly incomprehensible

The accelerator kick down switch is a feature added very recently to new models. That's probably why it's documented in the smart start guide and not in the owner's Manual. I find the explanation in the smart start guide to be very easy to understand.

Last edited:
Like: the blindspot detection, the amount of getup and go the 2.5l has
dislike: after a full day of ownership, the placement of the clock, really don't get why that piece of information isn't readily available without having to look halfway down the console, and the piano black piece of the dash. Its pretty much all by itself as the only piano black in my touring.

Last edited:
Only dislike I have is that I would make the wheel wells smaller. I like everything else about the vehicle and really appreciate how well it drives/handles compared to other compact suv's. I particularly enjoy the smooth transmission.

Have 2014 cx 5 for a month now
dislike
-not getting good fuel economy
-unlock and lock buttons are upside down(unlock should be on top not on bottom)
-items in cargo area are constanly sliding around when driving
-no warning sound if leave head lights on
-cup holders are too close together
-bluetooth is laggaish when trying to make a phone call at times
-radio to0 dim when putting headlights on in daylight(have to switch setting off auto to daylight)
-when engine cold car is slow at pulling out
-takes to long to warm up on cold days for a new car(2007 car warms up faster)
-HD radio cuts out on highway and also cut out too much in city when under wires and buildings

-cx 5 appearance
-rearview camera
-touch screen radio
-ride comfort
-blind spot montering

Last edited:
-radio to0 dim when putting headlights on in daylight(have to switch setting off auto to daylight)
-when engine cold car is slow at pulling out
-takes to long to warm up on cold days for a new car(2007 car warms up faster)
-HD radio cuts out on highway and also cut out too much in city when under wires and buildings

-cx 5 appearance
-rearview camera
-touch screen radio
-ride comfort
-blind spot montering

A cargo net is available to put items under to keep from sliding.
Try twisting the trip reset button to adjust the radio/dash light level.
If your lights are set on auto then they turn off on their own with a short delay, so no warning needed.

Have 2014 cx 5 for a month now
dislike
-unlock and lock buttons are upside down(unlock should be on top not on bottom)

-unlock/lock yeah I didn't like that, same with my Mazda3.
-Items in cargo area.. uh well that's going to apply for ever car with a huge trunk, It's not Mazda's fault, it's physics. lol. buy the cargo net.
-No warning sound, I have a 2014 there is a setting for this. When the car is in park/stopped press the info button on your steering wheel and go to SETTINGS, then it's in there under volumes i think you can set it to high, low or off for headlight on warning.
-Cup Holders, i don't mind the center cup holders, the door cup holders are annoying, they're tilted sideways, even a small water bottle is tilted, can't put straight up.
- Bluetooth, have not experienced 'lagging' with bluetooth and my phone. Nexus 4 with CyanogenMOD 10.1 nightly ROM.
-Radio too dim, yes this is annoying, with my auto headlights on, it gets way dim, and i have to override with the stalk. then when it does get dark, i have to set it back down.
- HD Radio... that's just the business of HD Radio. it's digital, 1s and 0s, if it doesn't get good signal, hd radio turns off and switches back to regular analog radio., turn hd radio off if you are in area without good signal.

Got a 2014 Touring FWD with Moonroof/Bose/Tech Package

Very peppy, just push the gas pedal and this thing zooms.
Manual shifter is quick.
3 12v plugs
40/20/40 split seats
Black seatbelts on sand colored seats
Leather steering wheel, shifter, etc. Noticed that the armrest on the doors are leather too, unlike the 2013.

-Dislike:
Moonroof is only auto retract, not dual mode, have to keep pressing it to stop. To open the back part have to hold.
TomTom, ugh.
USB mp3 shuffling sucks, it's the same shuffle everytime, not randomized.
Bose audio is fine, but the rear speakers volume are pretty low. Seems like everything is coming out the fronts.
Needs more LED headlights/rear lights etc.

In other cars we've purchased cheap plastic basins at a buck apiece and fill the trunk space. Good for potentially wet items.

On the CX-5 if you're worried about bags, flip up the cover over the spare and distribute your purchases in the well. That's generally enough texture to hold your bags in one place until you get home.

A third option is ... never underestimate the power of VELCRO. A 15' adhesive-sided spool from Home Depot gives you all sorts of attachment options, especially for that all-important LED flashlight you keep in the back. I'm going to add a USB powerpoint adapter to the trunk CX5 powerpoint, them I'll have a constant charging option for my two dash cams (one forward, one reverse). (Dash cams are better if you keep them out of your direct line of sight.) I use a couple Hero-2 cams @ 30fps with side glass mounting; when the 32GB SD card is full it begins to rewrite over the oldest file.

BTW, You'd be amazed how quickly those occasional road rage incidents quell when you point to your recording camera. :)

So after driving this vehicle a few days in the snow, one thing concerns me greatly. The windshield defroster does absolutely nothing to keep ice from building up on the blade and I had to stop a few times to break all the ice off the blades to effectively use the wipers and still see. I am hoping to jsut replace the stock and I am sure cheap blades with something more heavy duty that can handle snow and hopefully that will take care of the issue. But it has not been fun driving in the snow, that is for sure. And the windshield defroster doesn't seem very effective while driving.

And the windshield defroster doesn't seem very effective while driving.
I agree. The damn engine is so efficient it doesn't produce as much waste heat as older, less efficient engines did. I think Mazda could have done a better job with insulating the engine bay for winter driving. I know some new cars come with moveable slat grills that help maintain engine bay heat levels in winter conditions.

My only dislike is the AWD overheats too easily. It must run quite hot even on firm sand due to being engaged, soon as you hit soft your lucky if you get 15 metres and it drops to FWD. I advise against anyone taking it on the beach without a second vehicle.

My only dislike is the AWD overheats too easily. It must run quite hot even on firm sand due to being engaged, soon as you hit soft your lucky if you get 15 metres and it drops to FWD. I advise against anyone taking it on the beach without a second vehicle.

The same thing was said of the Xtrail.
Both cars are only designed for part time 4wd, if you want to play in sand for extended periods buy a car designed to cope with these conditions.

I like the fabulous diesel engine.
The handling.
Its towing ability.

Don't like the lack of storage in the cabin
And the Istop.
And the 4wd isn't as sophisticated as the Xtrail, it would help if it set off in 4wd like the new CRV does.

Try twisting the trip reset button to adjust the radio/dash light level.
If your lights are set on auto then they turn off on their own with a short delay, so no warning needed.

Too add to GAXIBM, if you leave the lights on (auto or not) they shut off after a few minutes when the car is turned off.

How are you able to determine this?

Back