New CX-5, high pitched whine at 80 km/h (50 mph)

So, yeah. I have a 2017 and I posted back about a noise, a faint whine, that I thought was the carplay cable (like resistor ignition back in the day over the radio). Its faint but I also noticed again this weekend on a long drive...with radio muted, I could let off accelerator and hear it and it varies with speed. I thought bearing? or now, it makes sense if its a differential with fluid issue. Sadly, I have tinnitus and can't always hear it, or these provided audio clips y'all are posting. Honestly, I just passed 51K miles and considering if Mazda comes out with a Hybrid CX50/CX5, to trade in. Just not fast enough... :cool:

I want to add my experience as well. I'm hearing very similar noise- high pitched whine, while throttle >0%, between 50-60mph. I'm taking it in to diagnose this week but don't hold out much hope for a pleasant outcome. (2021 Signature)

My recording (most pronounced noise around 0:04 and 0:18) https://imgur.com/a/t8EES7L

That said, has anyone experiencing this issue seen this thread where they seem to have diagnosed something that sounds very similar to the alternator?

Last edited:
Have not heard on ours, but we have Corksport Exhaust. It would definitely drown it out. LOL

I have a bit higher pitched when at 50 mph only on acceleration. Take my foot off, the whine is gone.My VIN number is part of this Service Bulletin. Left too much lapping compound in the diff.I have a 2008 GT. I'm the 3rd owner.

Attachments

• *Mazda Service Bulletin Whining Noise from Diff.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 45
I want to add my experience as well. I'm hearing very similar noise- high pitched whine, while throttle >0%, between 50-60mph. I'm taking it in to diagnose this week but don't hold out much hope for a pleasant outcome. (2021 Signature)

My recording (most pronounced noise around 0:04 and 0:18) https://imgur.com/a/t8EES7L

That said, has anyone experiencing this issue seen this thread where they seem to have diagnosed something that sounds very similar to the alternator?
I have the exact same issue.

So far we've taken the car at the dealership for the 5th time regarding this noise and they can hear the noise, however Mazda is deeming it as normal operation of the vehicle. A service technician previously confirmed that the noise is coming from the transmission.

I've recorded some videos recently and you can clearly hear the whining on acceleration and deceleration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86uCFf850Gc&ab_channel=flmiata

At this point we don't know what to do as the noise makes driving the car unbearable without music on at a certain volume level.

I have owned 4 CX-5s: 3 FWD NA and one AWD Turbo. All of them made this sound.

Last edited:
is this your first turbo car? just asking. Usually the turbo has a slight whisling sound when you accelerate. On Mazda you could hear it inside, other cars it depends where it is.
I've thought about that, but my NA CX-5 was more noticable than my Turbo. I think I sometimes hear a faint turbo sound, but that's different.

At any rate it sounds like there are a lot of people in this thread sensitive to it. I never thought it to be an issue as it just sounds like transmission gear whine, with increasing pitch the faster you go in overdrive from 50-70mph. I'm probably used to it from past performance cars and Gran Turismo.

I notice a high pitched sound at light throttle openings in our '23. It sounds like a throttle plate whistle to me. If I change the throttle opening, it goes away.

Back