New car, Air Conditioning smells

marcusx123

:
2015 CX-5
So I just got my 2015 CX-5 literally 3 days ago. And today I've noticed that every time I turn the A/C on there's this weird smell. Kind of like the smell of an old air conditioning system that hasn't gotten its cabin air filter replaced.

Very confusing since I just got the car... Anyone else with this problem? Do you guys know how I can access the cabin air filter? Thinking of replacing it or at least checking it out.

Search for the recirculation mode and moisture in the system. There is a thread (in here somewhere) regarding moisture collecting when using the A/C. It doesn't have anything to do with the cabin filter.

The moisture he's ^^^ referring to causes mold in the system. Doesn't take long to occur even in a new vehicle if conditions are right. The dealer should be able to chemically treat this under warranty.

I turn the temp dial to hot and turn off the recirculate if it has been humid and run it like this for a few minutes and the smell has disappeared for me.

I turn the temp dial to hot and turn off the recirculate if it has been humid and run it like this for a few minutes and the smell has disappeared for me.

I also do this and have done this on all my previous cars with no odor. The cabin air filter is easy to replace. Open the glove box, remove all contents from glove box, pull on the back side of the plastic glove box inward to release the stop block from the dash, do the same for the other side, drop the glove box down and the filter is right there to pull out.

Usually, I stop the A/C a couple of stop lights before I arrive home and run only the fan.

So I just got my 2015 CX-5 literally 3 days ago. And today I've noticed that every time I turn the A/C on there's this weird smell. Kind of like the smell of an old air conditioning system that hasn't gotten its cabin air filter replaced.

Very confusing since I just got the car... Anyone else with this problem? Do you guys know how I can access the cabin air filter? Thinking of replacing it or at least checking it out.

I made a how to:http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840410-How-To-Interior-Cabin-Air-Filter

you can spray some Lysol in the outside vent with ac on full (window down) to kill mold and stuff

happens to me too on my 2013 CX5, of course I've told my dealer about this but the smell never happens when I'm there.

If it consistently blasts stinky air from the ducts in all settings, try this. Don't use Lysol...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBAHsyFsq9I

This may not be very economical if the evaporator is not easily accessed. Long ago I had a 1990 Mustang that required removing the entire dash to access the evaporator. Whenever AC got stinky, I would blast Lysol into the air intake while running AC full blast. It killed the mold and stink for months. Put it in recirculate and the air intake is usually under the dash on the passenger side.

Todays cars have filters before the evaporator so Lysol won't get to the evaporator. One would have to gut a filter and then use the Lysol, and then install a new filter. I'm sure these new AC products work well, but Lysol work for me for years. I suspect the new filters should prevent junk getting into the evaporator and causing mold, but you never know.

Last edited:
Todays cars have filters before the evaporator so Lysol won't get to the evaporator. One would have to gut a filter and then use the Lysol, and then install a new filter. I'm sure these new AC products work well, but Lysol work for me for years. I suspect the new filters should prevent junk getting into the evaporator and causing mold, but you never know.

Car filters are just like house filters, but the mold and bacteria grow due to condensation on the walls of the ducts after the filter. The filter cannot prevent this. So, if you were to try your Lysol trick, you can just remove the old filter completely, do you thing, then replace with a new filter. Or just spray Lysol with the old filter, it will get through (and you will smell it through the ducts). I personally have never done this, I just blast my heat after using the A/C for an extended time, if possible. I never have any bad odors.

Last edited:
Has any one used frigi, if so how did you do. I found kool-it evaporator cleaner that you can shoot up the foam from drain tube, is it safe to do so? Expert please chime in.

Mine did this a few times too - I've done what others do and turn off AC about a block away so that it warms up a bit and prevents condensation/other junk to form. Hope you get it cleaned out. good luck.

Had the same issue. Book a service appointment with the dealer and it was treated with deodorizer to eliminate the odor cause by mildew. free of charge.

Cuppagogo, can you tell me what was done (was foam used) how much and which dealer did the job will be appreciated.

Cuppagogo, can you tell me what was done (was foam used) how much and which dealer did the job will be appreciated.

Not exactly sure what the dealer used to treat the smell. Its free of charge. Did the job in calgary mazda

Mine stunk until the outside temps started getting 90+ daily. Didn't get a chance to take it in, when the funk returns I will.

Back