New and would like some help

PHEEN

So I just traded in my 06 charger RT for an 09 CX-9...that was hard lol. Part of this deal with my wife was that I could turbo or supercharge it...as of yet I have not found anything out there for the 3.7L...Can anyone help me?

hey just because it's a family vehicle doesn't mean it has to be slow. I'm not lookin to bump it up to 800bhp, I just want a little more get up and go.

because of the people this type of car is aimed at, (Familys) there is little to no aftermarket presence. most of the stuff you do find is either basic and cosmetic or one-off.

not saying it cant be done, just need to remember this isn't a Civic where you can find anything you desire for your car.

home turbo kits or superchargers can be done they just take some fabrication and some research.
as far as i know there is nothing in the direct bolt-on forced induction market for the CX-9
on the plus side, this engine is a variant of the ford duratec engines that can be found in the Mustangs. so you know those guys don't sit idle on performace mods.
that might give you a place to start.

but serriously read read and read some more.
if you are serrious then check out:
Maximum Boost, by Corky Bell
he will walk you through everything you would need to fab your own system, (outside of the electronics of course)

just dont be suprised if you smoke your engine or transmission the first go around, which can get expensive since your warrenty just went POOF!

batted down for a simple question...awesome! first off, yes i know it's not a civic, they blow anyway! as for research of course I did, knowing there were ties with ford I didn't bother looking for power adders, it's not a must, just curious. I enjoy power, I know how to use it, and I'm nothing like the civic guys who put a crap muffler on and try to racer everyone. Unlike a lot of people, I dont like to run stock...on anything (as good as it may be to start with). I'm not stupid about things, I'm not going to try and throw down a ton of power without changing anything in my bottom end. buying my 9 wasn't a mistake, but I'm thinking conversing with other owners of them is...was.

Not all are rude here. Some comments are probably just supposed to be funny but don't come across that way. Others are, as you mentioned, fairly ignorant. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new vehicle. There is a decent amount of good information on the CX9 here. Please stick around...we welcome all the experience we can get!

You'll find people here that will flame you at the mere mention of modding your 9. "It's a grocery getter, nothing more!" Pay them no mind.

They probably dislike the fact that people modify a '57 Chevy Bel Air Nomad too. "Oh dear God, it's a station wagon after all!"

Pretty much every time someone mentions modding the 9 outside of adding a roof rack or hitch they get talked down to by someone. Foggy's reply was actually rather civil compared to some of the others I've seen.

The CX9 is no slouch in the performance department. Remember, it will adjust to your driving, so they can be dogs if Grandma drove it right before you did.
Get on it for a few miles, and use the manual mode, and you will see an improvement in performance. Get some better tires, too, if it still has the Duelers.

The comments are correct that say it's in the wrong category to inspire many performance mods. The 3.5 that came in the 2007s is the same engine Ford is using for their Eco-Boost V6, so it is possible to turbo charge it. The cost would be huge, though.
The 3.7 is the same as the new 305 Mustang 3.7, with DI and some other mods. Maybe some Mustang upgrades will appear that can be adapted to the CX9.

man i didn't mean that to come across that i was bashing your ideas, or calling your mods "Civic fartcan type" far from it.
first day i had my car, i opened the hood and said, "huh, wonder if you could fit a supercharger in there"

so no offense or flame intention man.

i used the civic as a reference only because you can go to most any aftermarket store and you will find some item to modify that car wheras with the CX-9 people tend to laugh and point if you ask for a part that isnt in the factory catalog.

unlike some modders out there that want to throw a giant turbo on and then cry when they end up with an "uncontained dissasembly" of the engine, you at least know what a bottom end is and why it needs to be modded!
from your first post i had no idea what background you had nor that you had researched so props for that.

so to further answer your question, yes it can be done, no there isnt a bolt on kit yet, maybe when the mustang comunity make a supercharger for their new version we could modify the intake plate to work for us. /shrug
problem with the Mustang engine is that eventhough its a 3,7 duratec, it was built new from the ground up.
now, if a varient of that engine gets picked up by Mazda for the 2011-2012 cx-9 then this is a different conversation

unfortunatly there arent many test bed cx-9's out there for this kind of thing so a lot of the comunity really doesnt know what this car can handle in terms of forced induction, piggyback vs stand alone integration.

ummm why didnt you just get a cx7???

cx9 doesnt really have much of a aftermarket unless you want a luggage rack or s*** like that. its a family suv. face the facts.

and the cx9 isnt slow at all its pretty quick for a big suv.

thanks for clearing that up froggy, good to know. As for you tungsten, the 7 was to small, thus HEY THE 9 go figure. and lets see, wisconsin, your from bloody wisconsin so shut the phuck up! (fuoops)

ok now that I got that out of the way, it's good to see not everyone here is retarted when it comes to looking further than factory. Anyway, hopfully I will be able to give as much help as I get here :)

I used to mod by 05 WRX by replacing uppipe,downpipe, exhaust and retune the ECU. That car was FAST! But then my famiy grows and traded that for my CX9. CX9 is not as fast but no that slow either. Anyway here is what I learned about performance mod.

1. I spent close to $10K to mod my WRX, did all the installation myself. I could have bought the STI instead.

2. Not easy to add a turbo or supercharger to CX9, since the engine was not design for it. In order to do it right, you may spend like $20K.

3. Adding turbo or supercharger is just one part of modding, you will need to replacing the whole exhaust without CAT in order to reduce back pressure. The car will be much noiser and fail smoke check

4. Then here is the expensive part, you need to hire someone to custom tune your car and somehow program that to the ECU.

5. Now with more power, here comes the transmission upgrade, not sure the stock transmission can handle over 300 HP.

6. Good luck

Last edited:
thanks for clearing that up froggy, good to know. As for you tungsten, the 7 was to small, thus HEY THE 9 go figure. and lets see, wisconsin, your from bloody wisconsin so shut the phuck up! (fuoops)

ok now that I got that out of the way, it's good to see not everyone here is retarted when it comes to looking further than factory. Anyway, hopfully I will be able to give as much help as I get here :)

Are you old enough to have a driver's license?

Back