New AA \ ACP Thread (with Poll)

How do you feel about AA ? ACP?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I*m not that big of an audiophile but I notice the missing range most Bose stuff has and a bit of muddying of derails.

The problem is they used to use really low quality components which was a poor business model since they brand themselves as premium. At least that*s improved a bit recently.

Now in the cars I believe the speakers and what not are not really Bose but provided by whatever OE supplier Mazda otherwise uses. Bose just does the design and EQ.

I will give them credit for being good at EQ and noise canceling technology. That is what they know.

So if they're using really low quality components but charging a premium price... as long as people are buying it: profit? (2thumbs)

...Now in the cars I believe the speakers and what not are not really Bose but provided by whatever OE supplier Mazda otherwise uses. Bose just does the design and EQ...

Where are you getting this information from? You believe the speakers are not Bose. Is this Based on a hunch?

Hi
I own 2018 Mazda CX-5, after updating my iPhone software to IOS 12, I started to see maps just pop up on my phone when i plug in car USB (only after updating the IOS), but won't show on infotainment screen
it will also auto save location where i parked
not sure how this is works even though i never open maps manually in my phone before getting into car, considering the fact that AA/ACP is not yet released.
any thoughts?

Hi
I own 2018 Mazda CX-5, after updating my iPhone software to IOS 12, I started to see maps just pop up on my phone when i plug in car USB (only after updating the IOS), but won't show on infotainment screen
it will also auto save location where i parked
not sure how this is works even though i never open maps manually in my phone before getting into car, considering the fact that AA/ACP is not yet released.
any thoughts?

Not sure what iOS version you were on before but this is just something the iPhone does when it connects to your car. It's been like that at least since iOS 11, probably before. For me it will tell me how long to get to work, or an event if its in my calendar, etc.

Not sure what iOS version you were on before but this is just something the iPhone does when it connects to your car. It's been like that at least since iOS 11, probably before. For me it will tell me how long to get to work, or an event if its in my calendar, etc.

As Deeksha56 noted, there's also a "Find My Car" feature in Apple Maps, which helps you locate, well, your car. :) It happens via CarPlay or BT connectivity, but does not require CP to function.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207227

Last edited:
While in CarPlay, with a destination set and running in Google Maps, if I go into another screen (say, Now Playing for music), I don't seem to then get any voice prompts from Google Maps. A banner temporarily appears at the top of the screen with the direction, but no spoken prompt. If I am in or go back to GM, then the prompts are heard. This behavior is not observed when just running Google Maps through BT without any use of CP (I get the voice prompts for the individual directions through my car speakers, no matter what screen I may be in on my phone or on the OEM MZD Connect).

I also noted that on my iPhone at that same time, a turn by turn direction list appears on the phone screen while the CarPlay (if set to Google Maps) always shows the overview. Unsure if this is related or not, but just thought to mention it.

Apple Maps does not behave in this manner--I get the voice prompts as expected regardless of what CP screen I might be in at the time.

Does anyone know if this is a setting that can be adjusted for Google Maps? Or just a quirk of CP with GM?

Last edited:
It's a quirk with ACP and NOT using Apple's default apps.
Another reason I hate Apple. You want to use some other apps? OK... it's going to be crippled though...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/17913786/google-maps-waze-apple-carplay-iphone-ios-12-review

Lol, oh Apple. You never cease to amaze.

From the article:

"Both Google Maps and Waze have released updates to their iOS apps that added support for CarPlay already, and I*ve been testing them for the past week or so. Unfortunately, due to CarPlay*s inherent limitations and a number of bugs and performance issues, neither Google Maps or Waze are particularly compelling compared to their Android Auto counterparts or even Apple*s own Maps app.

If you*ve been using Apple Maps in CarPlay, you*re going to find that Google Maps and Waze look rather familiar. That*s because Apple imposes a lot of restrictions on the way CarPlay apps are allowed to look, so all of the information, buttons, and options are generally laid out in the same way across all three apps.

What you won*t find in either Google Maps or Waze is the ability to get directions via Siri, through a microphone button on your steering wheel, the Hey Siri voice command, or long-pressing the home button on the CarPlay screen. Apple limits Siri interactions to its own apps. So just like how you can*t ask Siri to play something in Spotify, you also can*t ask it to give you directions to your house in Google Maps."

Everything in the Apple ecosystem works great together, but the moment you step out of the box it puts you in, issues arise. This is part of the reason why I never moved to Apple, and it's why 90% of the people I know personally have switched from iOS to some other variant of Android.

RLCarrington, I'd suggest sticking with Apple Maps until GMaps and/or Waze figure out how to play nice with the limitations/restrictions in CarPlay.

Last edited:
Thank you both, sm1ke and 7eregrine. I actually ran across that article while trying to research my issue. Oh well, I've never had a problem with Apple Maps but just prefer Google due to familiarity. On the other hand, the built-in MZD Connect navigation also has some features I like--for example, the upcoming cross street display across the top even when the nav isn't running. Too bad someone doesn't provide a single solution with a lot of these preferred features (wink)

Does anyone from South Africa managed to get this installed at a dealership yet? Last feedback from Mazda South Africa was that they were testing which was over a month ago.

Just completed carplay install on my 2017 CX-5. Did firmware update last weekend, took about 35 min total. Running cable took under an hour. As others have stated, the process is dead simple.

Last edited:
1. Given that Mazda hasn't officially made this available on the 2017 CX-5, does it void the warranty if I do the self-install?
2. How do I get the latest firmware update without going to a dealership?

1. Given that Mazda hasn't officially made this available on the 2017 CX-5, does it void the warranty if I do the self-install?

Quite possibly as according to their records the vehicle has been modified even though it's all genuine Mazda parts.

Google is your friend :)

For anyone having issues with SiriusXM and Carplay, Sirius put out a new update yesterday or today that seems to have made the app usable, if not perfect yet

Quite possibly as according to their records the vehicle has been modified even though it's all genuine Mazda parts.

I doubt they could void your warranty, though they will not cover something if they can show you broke it.

Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty, nor does installing accessories.

I doubt they could void your warranty, though they will not cover something if they can show you broke it.

Doing your own maintenance does not void your warranty, nor does installing accessories.

Maybe but modifying the set up will give them every reason not to touch/repair/replace it since it's not as it was when it left the factory or when it left their dealership/service centre.

I understand information is available on Google. I was hoping to get a download link from a trusted source and perhaps some advice from someone who has experience updating the firmware on their own. That's the whole point of a discussion forum.

I understand information is available on Google. I was hoping to get a download link from a trusted source and perhaps some advice from someone who has experience updating the firmware on their own. That's the whole point of a discussion forum.

You need to do some digging as there are other forums/sites where the firmware is available to download from.

As to trusted sites, that is a risk you need to consider as any site other than Mazda's (if they actually had a place to download from) may not be safe.

You need to do some digging as there are other forums/sites where the firmware is available to download from.

As to trusted sites, that is a risk you need to consider as any site other than Mazda's (if they actually had a place to download from) may not be safe.

x2. If you want a trusted source for a firmware upgrade, look no further than a Mazda dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back