How to stop music from playing when starting car? 2024 CX-5

:
2018 CX5
When we first started out 2018 CX5 the music (from thumb drive) would not come on until we hit the volume button. But in our 2024 CX5 the music starts to play as soon as we turn on the car. Any way to set it to not turn on when we first turn on the car??

I think you will need to turn the music off before stopping the engine. The entertainment system resumes to it's last state (source and mute on/off) when the engine is started.

Too bad that Mazda didn't implement what VW has done.

In a VW you can set the system to a certain 'turn on' volume. When the car is started up the volume is set to the value that was chosen initially by you. You can set it to zero if you like.

Another weird way that Mazda does things. Such as not using RAP, retained accessory power. I'm talking about my 2016.5, no RAP for closing windows and/or the sunroof. So stupid.

I think you will need to turn the music off before stopping the engine. The entertainment system resumes to it's last state (source and mute on/off) when the engine is started.
The infotainment system remembers the volume level after you restart the car, which means you need to turn the volume down to zero before turning the car off, but USB music won't pause.
In my previous CX-3s with first generation MZD infotainment, the mute (and USB pause) function was remembered when restarting the car. Unfortunately, my CX-5 (European 2023) with second generation MAZDA infotainment does not remember the mute (and USB pause) function after restarting the car.
I reported this annoying behavior last year to Mazda Nederland who told me they would pass it on to Mazda Motor Corp.
I'm sorry to say that my expectations are low...

Last edited:

In a VW you can set the system to a certain 'turn on' volume. When the car is started up the volume is set to the value that was chosen initially by you. You can set it to zero if you like.

Another weird way that Mazda does things. Such as not using RAP, retained accessory power. I'm talking about my 2016.5, no RAP for closing windows and/or the sunroof. So stupid.
My 2024 does partial implementation of RAP, enough to allow windows to be raised after shutting off the motor. The entertainment system still shuts off with the motor.

My CX-5s have always done that. I've had my volume set to zero for months at a time.

My 2024 does partial implementation of RAP, enough to allow windows to be raised after shutting off the motor. The entertainment system still shuts off with the motor.

Mine does not. But if you want to listen to the infotainment system there's a bit of a work around for it.

Before turning off the ignition, depress the switch on the shifter, hold the switch in as you press the Start button to shut the car off. The infotainment will stay powered for 15 mins or so.

My CX-5s have always done that. I've had my volume set to zero for months at a time.

If you set the volume to zero before shutting the car off, it works as you described as the car starts up at the volume setting that was last used.

If it was set to 10 (or whatever) when you shut down, that's what you get when you start up. At least that's the way my 2016.5 works.

Thats how our 2018 worked but our 2024 turns the music on when we start the car even if it was off when we turned the car off.

Will have to try turning the volume to zero when turning off the car to see if that does it.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back