New '14 3 SGT owner, bored, word fort inc.

snowblazin

:
2014 Mazda3 SGT - It's the color of snowflakes!
Hi all!

I'm very excited to be active on these boards again! GF isn't home, waiting to go to a friend's house and decided to introduce myself and write about my journey back into the Mazda community.

In Feb 05 I bought a 2003 Protege5, Black on Black with 23,000 miles. This was my first car that wasn't terribly old/used and had all the goodies. I had a lot of different vehicles before it but nothing was as comfortable or was as much fun to drive as that little wagon. After a couple of years of ownership and light modding I got the bug and put in a full mazdaspeed kit, upgraded to a FMIC and the car was finally where it felt like it should've been from the factory. Obligatory pic.

After about a year like this, I developed a slow oil leak and realized the full extent of what I had gotten myself into as far as maintenance was concerned. Decided I just wanted a reliable daily driver and put everything(mostly) back to stock. After almost 7 years of ownership with barely any issues I decided I wanted something new.

I really wanted something with AWD as I live in NE and love to take trips to the mountains. A friend of mine has a Subaru Impreza and one wintry day I watch him pull out of a driveway first shot while my protege can't move. I decide I want a Subaru and something with some oomf so I go looking for WRXs. Long story short, they sell me a WRX from another dealer, turns out the other dealer had already sold it as well. They have a 2011 STI hatch on the lot and it's Dec 27th of 2011. I tell them that I'm sure they'd like to move the 2011 before 2012 and if we can meet a certain number it could work for everyone. I get a great deal on the STI and take it home.

Wow. The car is fast. Really fast. End up getting it professionally tuned, small mods, mostly cosmetic, some wheels and just enjoy it as it is. I read all the horror stories on the Subaru forums of WRX and STIs with ring issues, spun rod bearing etc. and think, "I take care of my car really well, it'll never happen to me." Sure enough, 27,750 miles later and my engine starts knocking on the way to work. I check the oil and there is none, not a drop showing on the dip stick. I waited 10 mins, 20 mins and same thing, no oil. It took 3 quarts before oil finally showed up on the stick. Had it towed to Subaru, diagnosis was a spun rod bearing. They replaced the short block, turbo and more misc. parts than I care to list. Obligatory STI pic.

996926_10201745508180177_1877893230_n.jpg

I didn't trust the car after that. I got it back a few weeks later and it ran fine, but it felt like a ticking time bomb. Not to mention that Subaru's interior SUCKS, the sound system is terrible and there are more rattles than an infant's playpen. I also had to use 93 and it averaged 17mpg. So I decided it was time to get into something more practical but still fun to drive.

I looked at the Honda Accord sport, Camry SE and the new 6. The Accord and Camry were the most boring cars I've ever driven in my life. It wasn't until I went and looked at the 6 that I realized the 3 was the same body style and you could get much more for the money. Not to mention that I loved the old 3s before the stupid smiley face front end got introduced. Test drove the 3 and instantly fell in love. It took 3 different dealerships and dealing with a lot of stupidity and bs before I got into my new 2014 Mazda3 hatch SGT in snowflake white. I freaking love this car. So much more comfortable and refined than the Subaru. Sure, it's not the monster the STI was, but it's got plenty of power, and is incredibly fun to drive. Not to mention all the money I'm going to save on insurance and gas! I picked the car up yesterday and haven't stopped smiling since. I plan to leave this car alone for the most part, probably some tint and maybe a drop in filter and wheels in the summer. God that mod bug bites hard! Anyway, sorry for the long winded post, but it's good to be back in this community! OH! Obligatory crappy cell phone pic of the new car!

1476458_10202431347525732_2129592463_n.jpg

Last edited:
Now that was an interesting read.

Thanks for sharing and I love the look of that 3.

Great post! After coming from those two previous cars, it sounds like you're happy with the auto trans. I plan to buy a '14 in Feb. If the manual isn't available then I'll have to wait longer or go for the auto. I'm driving an '11 WRX now and am concerned that the driving experience with the auto won't make me happy. Was this a concern of yours?

I'm betting the manual will be out in April. I'd wait. Personally I wanted a manual, but the main reason I was getting the car was to have something other than a Miata for the winter. I do miss shifiting, even though this has the paddle shifters, and manual mode.

Grumpy....since Mazda isn't saying anything about a release date for the manual, I've been wondering if they are waiting for the Mexico plant to come online and produce the manual trans cars there?

Great post! After coming from those two previous cars, it sounds like you're happy with the auto trans. I plan to buy a '14 in Feb. If the manual isn't available then I'll have to wait longer or go for the auto. I'm driving an '11 WRX now and am concerned that the driving experience with the auto won't make me happy. Was this a concern of yours?
It was definitely a concern, but my last 2 cars being manual, and doing a decent amount of driving in traffic, let's just say it didn't bother me too much. Plus, I knew going in this car was going to be a completely different animal. The other benefit is my GF is now able to drive my car should the need arise. I was very pleasantly surprised when I drove it and found it to be so much fun. IMO, it doesn't detract from the the enjoyment of driving the car at all. The paddle shifters are a nice touch but leave a little to be desired. Best thing I can say is go drive one. I have a feeling you'll feel the same way, the 2.5 is more than adequate and in typical Mazda fashion, the car just feels so good all around.

Thanks for the kind words all.

Congrats, snowblazin. I feel the same way about my Mazda3. I can't believe how much I love this car, especially since I normally despise automatics. I traded my 2012 Focus Titanium largely because of my frustration with the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. I freakin' love the transmiision in this new 3 when it's in Sport mode, especially Sport-Manual mode. It's still not as much fun as a real manual, but it's the best auto I've ever driven by a long shot. Combined with all of the other wondderful goodness of this car, I can't wait to get back into it every time I get out. I haven't felt this way about any daily drive since at least my 2005 Mazda3. And it's gorgeous, inside and out.

Luckily there aren't all that many mods out there for it yet, so you should be safe for a while. Isn't that such an interesting white up close, too?

So, have you used Sport mode to any degree yet? It really changes the acceleration and shift character completely. It might just be a placebo effect but I think the manual shifts are a touch quicker in that mode too. Also, I've noticed the paddles seem to shift a hair faster than the shift lever, though there's just something about whacking that shift lever back and forth that feels right.

FYI, you might want to obscure your plates next time. ;)

Congrats, snowblazin. I feel the same way about my Mazda3. I can't believe how much I love this car, especially since I normally despise automatics. I traded my 2012 Focus Titanium largely because of my frustration with the PowerShift dual-clutch transmission. I freakin' love the transmiision in this new 3 when it's in Sport mode, especially Sport-Manual mode. It's still not as much fun as a real manual, but it's the best auto I've ever driven by a long shot. Combined with all of the other wondderful goodness of this car, I can't wait to get back into it every time I get out. I haven't felt this way about any daily drive since at least my 2005 Mazda3. And it's gorgeous, inside and out.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Exactly how I feel.

Luckily there aren't all that many mods out there for it yet, so you should be safe for a while. Isn't that such an interesting white up close, too?

So, have you used Sport mode to any degree yet? It really changes the acceleration and shift character completely. It might just be a placebo effect but I think the manual shifts are a touch quicker in that mode too. Also, I've noticed the paddles seem to shift a hair faster than the shift lever, though there's just something about whacking that shift lever back and forth that feels right.

FYI, you might want to obscure your plates next time. ;)

I put it in Sport mode once, but wasn't in a spot where I could really test it out. I plan on going for a nice long ride today and will play with Sport mode in auto and manual mode. I hope the paddle shifters do respond quicker in sport mode because they felt like they shifted a good 2-3 seconds after I hit the paddle normally. But like I said, it still doesn't detract from my enjoyment of driving the car. The white is GORGEOUS, first thing everyone notices about the car!

Congrats on the car, we have the same ride :D I've used sport mode in auto but haven't tried using those paddles yet. Haven't had much chance to try it out. I'm glad I got white also, very clean looking :D

The dealers in North Carolina seem to have very little, if any S-GT's on the lots. Are you having to order them at this point? I sure hope they start stocking more. I don't even know if I can find one to test drive.

I don't think Sport mode helps much with that shift delay. I also noticed it, and it's annoying, but I also got used to it and plan for it. Maybe a future Mazda ECU/PCM update will address that. However, Sport mode doesn't just alter the automatic shift logic; it also speeds up throttle response. Honestly, I think this is where most of the fun and faster acceleration comes from. That faster throttle response seems to be in effect in Sport-Manual mode, too. I think the best performing mode is probably Sport-Automatic mode, but I like playing with the shift paddles.

^ Does Sport-Automatic mode means you leave it in Drive mode and just tap the paddles to use them that way? Sport-Manual means using it in M mode then I'm guessing?

Congrats to the OP!! Great looking car!

When you want to use the sport and manual modes, you employ both by hitting the sport button and putting the shift lever in the M mode. The gears will hold longer and it will downshift automatically as you slow down. It's a very neat system. Be sure to shift well before you get to the 6500 redline or you will find the engine bogging. The lag from when you press the paddle to when it actually shifts is such that if you are driving enthusiastically, you will need to start the shift at around 5000-5300 rpm.

^ Does Sport-Automatic mode means you leave it in Drive mode and just tap the paddles to use them that way? Sport-Manual means using it in M mode then I'm guessing?

By Sport-Automatic, I mean just leaving it in D, but pressing the Sport button, letting the car handle shifting for you. It seems to do a pretty darn good job picking and holding gears. By Sport-Manual, I mean putting it into manual shift mode and also pressing the Sport button.

I was happy to discover that the paddle shifters work no matter what mode the car is in. I guess I should read the whole manual at some point. I like that you don't have put the car in manual mode to down shift manually if needed.

Back